Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Bye Bye Belly, Hello Mudflap

I have spent the last month, ever since I went on this plan, worried that I will end up looking like the title of this thread. I am trying not to borrow trouble so soon, or to find some humor in the situation, but it just terrifies me. I think I would rather have to carry my upper arms around in a wheelbarrow than to have a mudflap where my waist should be. I'm not even sure why I'm posting about it...it will either happen or it won't. Maybe if others of you worry too, then I won't feel like a lone lunatic!
Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 03-25-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: can't type
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have some loose skin at my belly, but it's definitely not a mudflap! I love being at goal weight. My body isn't perfect, but I had no illusions it would be. I am the same shape I always was, just smaller. My hips and thighs are still my problem areas. I have loose skin in my armpits, upper thighs and belly. My poor boobs look like two oranges in sweat socks.

But, I was delighted by some changes. My arms turned out beautifully. I look lovely in clothes. My boyfriend is crazy about all my parts.

I wouldn't trade my 130 lb imperfect, loosely skinned body for my fat 200 lb body, that's FOR SURE.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Try not to worry too much about it right now.

Everyone's body is different. You might not even have one later.

So... when you get there you will know if you have to worry about it or not. It's not like worrying now will fix anything.

To worry now is a waste of worry -- as my mom would say.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
I think I would rather have to carry my upper arms around in a wheelbarrow than to have a mudflap where my waist should be.
Barb
Well, I am just the opposite. I am working on developing nicely muscular arms, back and shoulder. Of course, I would love to have a 6-pack as well, but I have to give up something, it would be the 6-pack. I would rather have some loose skin on my stomach (and I do) rather than on my upper arms. I love wearing sleeveless tank tops all summer long. The stomach area, on the ohter hand - who will see that?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. I guess I will start saving my pennies now just in case and not worry about it yet. I think it's just because my arms seemed to stay mostly the same when I gained weight...it all went tomy midsection.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

My stomach and my inner thighs seem to be the last place the weight wants to come off.

BUT...I've had 5 big babies, and am creeping up on 44 years old. So, my stomach is certainly one part of my body that no one will see in public. It's not a flap, it's coming along nicely, but the stretch marks from 9 1/2 pound babies remain. As long as I can fit into my clothes, and no muffin tops, etc, I'll be thrilled.

I was concerned, 60 lbs ago, that there would be a serious flap. But, losing weight slowly, and in a healthy manner, should help. Just give your body time to adapt, and adjust. The biggest improvement I've noticed was when I joined the gym, and got the trainer. Absolutely recommend it.

Good luck, enjoy your journey!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote