Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/177/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Breast reduction...

Hello ladies...
I am considering breast reduction. I have always been big..so..as my weight goes back down, I know I it's going to look awkward to still be big up top. I have a consultation scheduled next week. Anyone have any experience with this?
ButterflyKiss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Just passing through but check out the Make me Heal message boards, there is one dedicated to your surgery. you can see pictures and find out what others have to say.

my advice is to make sure the surgeon is BOARD cretified, willing to show you pictures of before and after. if you don't feel comfortable with your consult, go see someone else.
Good luck!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

i had one last may! best decision i ever made. be back in a bit with my story....holding my son who is sick.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I think I might get one at some point, too. I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids (which is a concern for me, since breast feeding after a reduction us difficult). I do worry about loss of nipple sensation, though.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #5  

Ok I have a few minutes!

I got a breast reduction in may 2009. I had wanted one for years and years but I knew I wanted to breastfeed so I waited until I was done having children. When I went in for my surgery I was a 36F bra size. I waited for 2 1/2 years for this surgery because here in BC Canada breast reductions are covered by medical so there's a long waiting list.

So the day of the surgery I went in, got my vitals all checked, had an IV started and 1/2 hour dose of DDAVP because I have a blood cotting disorder. The plastic surgeon then came in and he drew on my breasts with a sharpie....yeah, that's kind of weird, HA! I decided to go to a C cup. Then I went into the operating room. I started crying because I was scared, but the nurses all reassured me it would be ok. All of the sudden I got really dizzy, and that's all I remember.

I woke up in recovery and was a bit afraid because I had an oxygen mask on as well as these big boots. The boots inflated at my toes and then kept inflating all the way up my leg. I was scared somethign went wrong but the nurses reassured me there was nothing wrong, the boots just helped prevent blood from pooling in the legs.

I was given a perscription for percoset and was going home about 2 1/2 hours after my surgery. At this point, I felt no pain. For the next four days I slept for about 22 hours a day. I slept in a recliner in our living room and my kids were with grandparents or my husband for five days. There was no way I could've looked after them. I took percoset every 6 hours for the first 2 days, then was off all pain meds after that. Pain wise, the day after my surgery I was pretty sure. It felt like someone was constantly stabbing me in the chest. BUT I only felt pain if I knew I was doing too much.

I ended up sleeping in the recliner chair for the first 2 weeks. I didn't get to peek at my new breasts till 2 weeks after the surgery when the plastic surgeon took off my bandages. I was amazed at how great they looked! There was bruising, there was scabs, there was stitches that needed to be pulled, but I felt really good.

I am now 8 months out of surgery and I feel great. I am able to wear shirts that I haven't been able to wear in a long time. I can go out without people staring at my chest. I can run without getting a black eye. HA!

Like many many many other women, my only regret is that I never got it done sooner!

My words of advice:
-if you have children, make sure you have help for at LEAST the first 5 or 6 days.

-Take it easy. The laundry can wait, the dishes can wait, your recovery is most important

-frequently take little walks, even if it's just up to go pee, it helps prevent blood clots.

-don't try to be brave. If you need pain medication, take it. That was one of my mistakes was waiting until the pain was excrutiating until taking the meds. By that point, it only took the edge off.

I do have pictures that I don't mind showing people, so if you want me to email them to you, let me know and I don't mind emailing them.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I think I might get one at some point, too. I'm pretty sure I'm done having kids (which is a concern for me, since breast feeding after a reduction us difficult). I do worry about loss of nipple sensation, though.
I did lose all nipple sensation for the first few months, but now I have sensation in one side and a tiny bit in the other. Doesn't bother me though.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/177/125

Height: 5'2"

Babygrant..Thank you for sharing your story! It really helped
ButterflyKiss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #8  
No more +sizes

I had one in 05. I'm so glad I did it and if I had it to do over again I would have done by the same dr.

The day of surgery I got there she made all her markings, prayed and in come the drugs. All I remember is laughing and being wheeled out of the room. I woke up after the surgery looking for my sister. I didn't understand the big things on my leg and when can I see my sister. The dr made me stay overnight for observation. The nurses were great, I kept hearing this beeping noise and I would scream for the nurses because I couldn't take it. Turns out I had twisted the tube to the oxygen and nothing was coming out. I kept trying to take it out but they wouldn't let me. I had no pain but they were making me take this stuff. I left the next morning. I never had any pain not sure why. But I was glad about it. The dr called me later in the day to see how I was doing. She told me to take a walk outside. It was in November and it was too cold...to me. I did walk to the mailbox though.

If you have the surgery, make sure you follow the dr's instructions as well as everything babygrant said. I lived alone but my sister came and checked on me everyday when she got off work. Since I never had any pain I was good.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #9  
One Day

S/C/G: 148/128

Height: 5'2

Default Best thing I ever did!

I had a breast reduction after I had my two children. My youngest was one at the time. I didn't nurse my children but I wanted my body to go through the motions of pregnancy without any complications. The surgery for me was very straight forward, lessened my chances of breast cancer detection by 25%, an incredible relief to my neck and back and I have had absolutely zero issues with nipple sensation. They work just fine! Almost better than before! I did get some scarring but for the most part it is on the underside of my breasts so you don't see it. Frankly when you're carrying around such a weight what's a few scars as a trade off. For me it wasn't an issue. I am 5'2 and I was wearing a G cup. I am now a 36C and can walk upright and wear nice tops and pretty bras. I used to have to go to a specialty shop to buy my bras and they cost me about $100-120 each! The first thing I did when I had completely healed was race off to the nearest clothing store and bought myself a $5 bra...I felt so liberated!!!! Good luck with your decision and really just make sure you go to a reputable surgeon. All the best!
oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #10  

Thank you so much for posting this--I've been considering this surgery for a couple years now myself.

There are two things that I DETEST about being so large breasted: First and foremost, bathing suit shopping! OH MY GOSH!! Now that they make two-piece bathings suits (that AREN'T bikinis), you'd think they'd make the top portion in bra sizes. But, alas, NOOOOO....I'd need at least a size 22 for the bra portion (and even then I'm bulging out of the dang thing), and then the rest of it hangs on me so weirdly. I'm currently wearing a 14/12, so you can imagine how a size 22 looks on me (even when I was an 8, the girls would, at best, fit into a size 22 top!).

The next thing is, even with the most supportive sports bra, I have to actually hold my breasts down when I run. Needless to say, I DON'T run for this reason, and this reason alone! I would love to be able to jog, but I certainly cannot do this in public.

Oh, and a third thing that bothers me is my posture. I know I have bad posture, but if I were to sit and stand with my back straight, it really emphasizes those very parts of me that I do everything in my power to try to minimize!

Oh, how I'd love to be a "C" cup again (which, I believe the last time I was a "C" cup I was in the 8th grade!!).
Wiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiiki View Post
Thank you so much for posting this--I've been considering this surgery for a couple years now myself.

There are two things that I DETEST about being so large breasted: First and foremost, bathing suit shopping! OH MY GOSH!! Now that they make two-piece bathings suits (that AREN'T bikinis), you'd think they'd make the top portion in bra sizes. But, alas, NOOOOO....I'd need at least a size 22 for the bra portion (and even then I'm bulging out of the dang thing), and then the rest of it hangs on me so weirdly. I'm currently wearing a 14/12, so you can imagine how a size 22 looks on me (even when I was an 8, the girls would, at best, fit into a size 22 top!).

The next thing is, even with the most supportive sports bra, I have to actually hold my breasts down when I run. Needless to say, I DON'T run for this reason, and this reason alone! I would love to be able to jog, but I certainly cannot do this in public.

Oh, and a third thing that bothers me is my posture. I know I have bad posture, but if I were to sit and stand with my back straight, it really emphasizes those very parts of me that I do everything in my power to try to minimize!

Oh, how I'd love to be a "C" cup again (which, I believe the last time I was a "C" cup I was in the 8th grade!!).
Ok so for the bathing suits, I know they ar REALLY expencive but the Mirical suits come in cup sizes, they last forever and may be an answer.
for running, i use to do it for ridding, I would wear my regular underwire bra with a good support sports bra over it, title 9 sells some really great suport bras for bigger busts...wish I could help with the posture !
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post
Ok so for the bathing suits, I know they ar REALLY expencive but the Mirical suits come in cup sizes, they last forever and may be an answer.
for running, i use to do it for ridding, I would wear my regular underwire bra with a good support sports bra over it, title 9 sells some really great suport bras for bigger busts...wish I could help with the posture !
Thanks! I'll look into the Mirical suits & Title 9 bras! BTW...Love the pup--a black lab, right? I have a very sweet yellow labbie.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #13  

Try Bravissimo (bravissimo.com) for bathing suits.

Bras, too, for that matter.

I've run at a G cup (32 or 34 band size) so I'm not sure that I buy that anyone's breasts are so large that running is impossible. Getting sports bras that fit is tough, but it's possible. And if you need to wear two, do it and know that you're not the only one.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 02-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Try Bravissimo (bravissimo.com) for bathing suits.

Bras, too, for that matter.

I've run at a G cup (32 or 34 band size) so I'm not sure that I buy that anyone's breasts are so large that running is impossible. Getting sports bras that fit is tough, but it's possible. And if you need to wear two, do it and know that you're not the only one.
I didn't say impossible...just said that I don't do it publicly! Thanks for the tip--I'll look at Bravissimo, too.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
I didn't say impossible...just said that I don't do it publicly!
Okay, I'll reword!

There ARE sports bras that will permit large-breasted women to run without visibly bouncing.

Is that your issue?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote