Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Default abdominoplasty?

I wasnt sure where to put this thread, but I have a lot of questions. I gained a lot of weight rapidly and as a result I've mutilated my stomach beyond recognition. I gain the majority of my weight in my abdomen (I still have a significantly smaller waist which technically makes me a pear shape). I have to say that I actually preferred how my stomach looked when I was fatter. I've only lost 40lbs and its wrinkly, jiggly, saggy, and covered in silver stretch marks. I almost feel more insecure about my body than I did 40 lbs ago!

I know that no matter how much weight I lose, I will never be happy with my body until I get a tummy tuck. Has anyone done this? I do eventually want children but at this point, I dont care if I dont have kids for 10 or 15 years. I want to enjoy my twenties feeling sexy and having the body I've always dreamed of and have been working so hard to get.

What was your experience? Do you feel like it was worth it? How was your healing process? I'd love to talk to some people that have actually been through it already.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #2  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Check this out in the Weight Loss Surgery area....

Ok, before and after pictures of my Fleur de lis Abdominoplasty!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

unfortunatly 3FC is not really about plastic surgery however there are some good message boards that will give you real answers for your tummy tuck questions that may not be able to be answered here.

my 2cents are to find a BOARD CERTIFIED plastic surgeon or 2 and since you are in NJ you should have LOTS of good choices, have a consultation for everything you are concidering, do as much research as you can on line to make the best decision for YOU and what is going to make you happy. AND look at a ton of before and after pics of what you what. real people that post their pictures will give you a very realistic point of view of what you might look like after you are done.

good luck!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/209/150

Height: 5'6

I had the surgery 4 years ago. I recommned reading the forums @ makemeheal.com to get some advice on the matter. Everyones experience is different.

I do want to add that this is MAJOR surgery - in both exspense and healing. 6 weeks off of work and for some 6months to years of physical recovery.

Personally the surgery gave me no more confidence in my body than I had before. Before I had lots of hanging skin - now I have large scar running hip bone to hip bone.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info.
pmteub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #5  
Mel

Have you read the sticky here?

Three of us have posted our experiences. I'm 5 years out, and belienve it was the best thing I've ever done for myself (aside from losing the weight in the first place). I hated my stomach, and I'm sure that I would not have maintained the weight loss or worked as hard at staying in shape without having had surgery. It's very personal- some people can live with the skin, some can't. For me it was the only choice.

The pain, healing time and rehab were nowhere near as long as I had epected. I was doing light workouts within 3 weeks and back at work in a very physical job at two weeks. I think it helped a lot that I was in really good physical condition going into the surgery.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote