Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You're good - I just turned 40!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Well I would have never started this thread BUT I cant let OP get bashed alone I guess Ill put on my flame resistent suit and join in. Just last night DH and I were talking about how many people look older once theyve lost weight and he said most look better/prettier face wise in their before pics. We were also wondering why so many people dont stop when they get to a healthy weight and instead go from one extreme to another and end up looking gaunt and sickly. Im sorry if that offends or doesnt sit well with people but I also dont understand why we cant discuss things without being bashed. Its not one person who sees that and Im sure its not just the OP and DH and I that do either others just dont want to get flamed like OP has been. And I think PP did answer our gaunt question and things settling after a while makes sense too so for me Im glad this thread was started bc it addresses a concern we had. No one is disputing that being healthy is best regardless if you look a little older or not as pretty in some ways. But truth is some people do look younger and more attractive with a normal or heavy face than they do with a too thin face. I think everyone who has posted here is beautiful.
Im not talking about anyone in particular Ive seen pics here, people in real life and people on TV and a mixture of all of them Ive thought a. they look older thinner esp younger people as mentioned, b sometimes their face is prettier on their way down or in before pics, and c. that a lot of people end up looking way to gant
Im ugly regardless LOL and the only pics I have of me at a not morbidly obese weight I was 19 and I know I wont look like that and will be dissapointed. I dont know I agree with OP and I dont mean it to be offending its just the fact of how I see things and I bet if more people were honest and less pc theyd say so too. It doesnt take away from the hard work people have done. It doesnt take away from their beauty NOW it doesnt take away from their health its just a fact that some peoples face looks better when its not so thin.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Love my new cheekbones, I feel like a model.
And you look like one!!! Gorgeous!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No one is bashing anyone. Well that's not entirely true. That's basically how the thread started...

Just imagine if someone who's made it to goal, started a thread about how ugly people look in their before pictures and how much older they look. I really don't think that would go over too well. It's one thing if you've made it to goal and state it about yourself. But to put down a whole group of people, call them older looking and not as pretty, IMO - it's just not right. But that is just my opinion. Which I think I'm entitled too. And I don't think I've offended anyone by stating it. At least I hope I haven't. If I have, then I do apologize.

Again, this is a SUPPORT site. We're supposed to support one another. Help one another. And I don't think this was very supportive of folks who've made it to goal - putting down their looks. Again, if it were worded differently, if the op had concerns for herself - perhaps.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #35  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually have a photo album of my progress posted here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/1391882-post37.html

The pictures of me in the 350s are painful. I think my favorite picture is of me at 275. My most recent picture of last month makes me look a bit younger because I'm wearing a puppy dog hat. You can definitely see all the lines in my face.

I'm not sure if it'll work but I've started using Strivectin-SD on my face to see if it'll help some. Probably not and I should know better but it was at Costco and if nothing else, my face will be well moisturized.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Love your hair and your puppy dog hat! I think you look awesome
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #37  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Nelie, I've never seen your progress pics before; you are really lovely. I think you look just great and have nothing to worry about.

Please let us know how the Strivectin-SD works; I've seen ads for it in magazines and have been curious.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

Whoa Nellie! you look fantastic!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

i always worry about this in my head but it's usually the pics and stories on this site that let me forget all about it. everyone seems so much happier when they reach goal and i think everyone looks beautiful! also i am big believer in confidence making you attractive. when im thinner i am more confident and i just flat out feel prettier.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
No one is bashing anyone. Well that's not entirely true. That's basically how the thread started...

Just imagine if someone who's made it to goal, started a thread about how ugly people look in their before pictures and how much older they look. I really don't think that would go over too well. It's one thing if you've made it to goal and state it about yourself. But to put down a whole group of people, call them older looking and not as pretty, IMO - it's just not right. But that is just my opinion. Which I think I'm entitled too. And I don't think I've offended anyone by stating it. At least I hope I haven't. If I have, then I do apologize.

Again, this is a SUPPORT site. We're supposed to support one another. Help one another. And I don't think this was very supportive of folks who've made it to goal - putting down their looks. Again, if it were worded differently, if the op had concerns for herself - perhaps.
Actually I wasnt going to point fingers but it was your post that I felt was most out of line and rude aka bashing.

If she had said lookingfomeagain looks worse now then she did fat that would be rude and bashing but just in general I dont think being honest about how you feel is rude or bashing anyone. If she is losing weight than this may be a concern she wants to address. Maybe she couldve worded it better but were all guilty of that sometimes. I think your being very oversensitive and taking it as a personal attack for no reason.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #41  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForMeAgain View Post
...Just last night DH and I were talking about how many people look older once theyve lost weight and he said most look better/prettier face wise in their before pics. We were also wondering why so many people dont stop when they get to a healthy weight and instead go from one extreme to another and end up looking gaunt and sickly...
I can only speak for myself, but I have decided to work on these last 10 pounds even though at my original goal of 158 I was technically in a "normal" BMI because I wanted to be in the middle of normal instead the high end of normal. So if I should go on vacation, or break my leg or something, I have a little wiggle room before I'm right back into being overweight. I don't think the last 10 pounds has really effected my face, but my butt is sure smaller I personally don't really care that people think I look older because like I stated before I feel much younger, and I think that radiates into just about every aspect of my life. I feel younger in the 140's than I did in the 150's, and YEARS younger than I did at 333 pounds...YEARS.

Most every one I have ever known to lose weight, their face is the FIRST place I notice it. They have this skinny beautiful face and still have a huge arse, or giant belly. So what are they to do? Keep the unhealthy bellies in lieu of a wrinkle-less face or get fit? That hip-waist ratio is the danger zone in obesity, not the facial wrinkle factor. Sadly, vanity is a reason that many lose weight and sadly that's why many stay overweight as well. You don't know how many posts I've read from morbidly obese woman asking if they will have loose skin after weight loss...**** YES you will have loose skin. That's life.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #42  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Whoa Nelie is right! Major transformation. You look FABULOUS!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #43  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

WOW Glory and Nelie, you are BOTH beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen your pics before. HOT!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #44  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think we also need to be careful not to use the "fears" of looking older, gaunt or whatever as an excuse to not become fit. There I said it.

If someone has more lines or more wrinkles or whatever, it isn't something that cannot be fixed ONE afternoon in a surgeon's office if it bothers them enough. Obesity on the other hand....
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #45  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Wink I never really thought about it before, but...

I am very young looking an I hope that weight loss will not hinder that, as my husband is 18 years younger than me. I want to look GOOD...LOL...
Closed Thread