Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/162/135

Height: 5'8

Question Anyone with excess skin???

Just need some feedback on how many of you have an issue with excess skin in the midsection area and how you deal with it...It is very disappointing to me that I have come all this way and there it is...a reminder of where I was...I guess that part of weight loss is not the best part, but glad to be healthier...that's for sure!
chevygurl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I have a LOT of exess skin! Serious batwings, and my lower abdomen hangs so that when I run down the stairs in my night dress, it slaps against my legs. And I'm only 20 years old, I had assumed that my skin would go into place. However, I am way too young to have hanging skin for the rest of my life, and I am not settling for it....I am eventually going to have it surgically fixed.

So there you go: you're not alone!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Im already worried about this too. I have more weigt to lose and my "flap" on my stomache already hangs down really far. Im scared it will look like I stuffed a pillow in my pants if I ever get to the point to where I can tuck my shirt in. Theres no way I can do surgery, so I guess I'll just have to live with it, but I consider mine to be gross. Cant help it.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Count me in on the loose skin train! I have loose skin on my upper arms, lower abdomen (I have the apron), thighs and don't even get me started about my chest! But the loose skin has gotten much better over the last 15 lbs. And I'm hoping that it will continue. I'm not opposed to surgery, but am not sure if it is worth the risk for me. I'm 46 with 2 kids. Nobody expects me to look like a supermodel anymore.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have it, too. Because of other health issues, and the expense, I am not going to have surgery to get rid of it, although I would like to. In the meantime it doesn't show under clothes,but I know it is there.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-24-2009 at 11:40 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep, I do. It never really bothers me, except in swimsuits, and, interestingly, when doing yoga (I look down in my down dog to see this...flap. Strange). I'm planning to have kids at some point in the not-so-distant future, so it would just stretch out again if I got it fixed.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

It does get better with time and weight loss. I've noticed that my weight loss stabilized this summer but my flabbiness is slowly going away. I think our bodies just need time to adjust. I realize I will never completely get rid of the pouch or skin after having 4 kids but it does look better in time.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescelestus View Post
and my lower abdomen hangs so that when I run down the stairs in my night dress, it slaps against my legs.
So there you go: you're not alone!
Yep and Yep... 90 down and it's already kinda bad, but that slapping it the worst!!! I'm a runner so I have to make sure to wear compression type capri pants to control that motion. Nothing is more embarassing then someone running past you and hearing "slap slap slap"

I wonder about plastics, but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford them. We'll see when I get to goal and stay there for awhile.

My main issues are: inner thighs, behind the knees, stomach, and batwings
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have it too....mainly my "saddle bag" area on my legs. I try not to get to upset over it though. I'm giving it a couple of years at maintenance then I'm getting things tucked, cut, whatever they do to make it go away

I'd rather have the loose skin than have the extra 125+ pounds I was carrying any day.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Loose skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I have it too....mainly my "saddle bag" area on my legs. I try not to get to upset over it though. I'm giving it a couple of years at maintenance then I'm getting things tucked, cut, whatever they do to make it go away

I'd rather have the loose skin than have the extra 125+ pounds I was carrying any day.
Amen !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I have it too, lower stomach, thighs and arms. One of the things I hate the most is my boobs, they are deflated. When I was this weight before I didn't have much in the chest area so I expected that they would go. It's still disappointing though. Like Tanee said, it's much better than the extra 121 pounds though. In clothes no one can tell. My stomach could be flatter, but all the fat is gone, it's just extra skin that doesn't show much when covered.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #12  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I sure I have less than many but count me in.I am only in the 40 to 45 lb down range I still have the droopy boobs and lot of extra skin in tummy area in the plank exercise{does it hang to the floor?} But guess I would rather have the skin than the fat that filled it out!!!AND THE WAY I FELT!!!!!I am currently doing p 90x and have reduced my body fat and have great mucle tone almost what I would call GREAT abs but they are a bit wrinkly looking at the top area BUT Iam 57!/
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've got plenty of loose skin. Clothed, you can't detect it. Not at all. Which is why you won't see me in a bikini - ever.

I knew my body would not bounce back completely and am very pleased with the outcome, loose skin and all. I would prefer having no loose skin of course, but I'm too happy enjoying life now that I'm not hauling around 165 excess pounds to ever give it much thought.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have it too. It is getting better - very slowly - but I will never lose it completely. My age and losing almost 100 lbs are too much for my skin to overcome.

I have found excellent undergarments that help, and I continue my weight/yoga/pilates routines.

I consider my loose skin a "battle scar" on this journey, and I have no plans to go the surgery route.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/207/140

Height: 5'7"

I've lost 70 lbs so far which is smack-dab in the middle of my journey. And the loose skin is rearing it's ugly head! I think this is the hardest thing for me to deal with. Being 35, and overweight my whole life, I never had that hot body that alot of people reminisce about from their high school days. I guess I expected a different body to emerge than the one that is, and I'm disappointed. I won't change my mind and suddenly start gaining the weight back but the loose skin issue is really tough for me. I'm single, and it scares me to think of dating knowing what I look like underneath clothes!!! I wouldn't judge a guy because of it, but I don't know how a guy would feel about me "revealed" so to speak. Thank goodness no one can see my loose skin when I'm clothed though.
SpaceCadetteVal is offline   Reply With Quote