Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #16  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I would just hate to do something now I might have to go back and change or re-do later, if/when we have children...
Hi Mindi! I'm planning to get surgery soon including implants so I've had 2 consultations with plastic surgeons. Just to let you know, implants need to be replaced at some point, usually after 10 or 15 years I think. So, whether or not you have children, if you got implants you would likely at some point need to get surgery on them again.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #17  
In it to win it!

S/C/G: 137/133/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
My wife was going to get implants after her lumpectomies, but her doctor pointed out that they would never have caught her cancer in time if she had implants, because they interfere with the mammography. She had a tiny but very aggressive tumor, that was caught by the radiologist at her annual mammogram.

She has no family history, and was not especially old (43). We decided not to take any chances and passed on the implants, although our insurer was willing to pay for them.
Actually most surgeons put the implants UNDER the existing muscle and tissue nowadays so it's not a problem anymore. You will rarely have anyone suggest going above the muscle for this reason. Also if you tell the mammo tech you have implants they will do extra veiws to make sure they don't miss anything. Besides if there is a history of any sort of cyst or tumor a regular mammo should be followed up by an ultrasound as a precaution anyhow.

And to touch on someone elses comments about replacing implants every 10-15 years. That's not the case anymore with newer implants. They are usually good for life unless there is a rupture which is really rare.
Navybean68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #18  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navybean68 View Post
And to touch on someone elses comments about replacing implants every 10-15 years. That's not the case anymore with newer implants. They are usually good for life unless there is a rupture which is really rare.
No, the newer implants have a similar life expectancy and will need replacement every 10-20 years. All implants will fail if given enough time, and ruptures can occur at any point. In such a case, the old one must be replaced with another within a couple of weeks. Most implants carry a 10 year warranty, so many women choose to have them replaced on a schedule rather than wait for a rupture.

Last edited by Ija; 01-23-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #19  
In it to win it!

S/C/G: 137/133/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
No, the newer implants have a similar life expectancy and will need replacement every 10-20 years. All implants will fail if given enough time, and ruptures can occur at any point. In such a case, the old one must be replaced with another within a couple of weeks. Most implants carry a 10 year warranty, so many women choose to have them replaced on a schedule rather than wait for a rupture.

We only use Mentor implants in our office, which have a rep of being the safest. There is no reason to replace implants unless there is a problem and after several studies its been shown that the rupture rate is only 1.5% after 10 years.

Mentor offers a lifetime warranty. They will provide you with new implants free of cost for life. And if for some reason an exchange is needed within the first 5 years they even help cover the other surgery costs (like anesthesia and facility fees). But only IF there is a problem because there is no reason to have them exchanged otherwise.

We have women that have come in before that were getting older that had the old generation of implants from the 1980's taken out just simply because they didn't suit their lifestyle anymore, but none of them had problems with the implants themselves.

BUT on the flip side we have had patients that had implants rupture after only 2 weeks. This is usually some sort of defect, it gets replaced, and that is it. There is risk involved with any surgery you have, but needing to have your implants replaced simply just because is false.
Navybean68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #20  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Some pertinent information

http://www.mentorcorp.com/breastsurg..._aa_faq_08.htm
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 145/135/125

Height: 5'4"

Another thing to consider is breastfeeding (I read that you are wanting to have kids someday). I would research the possible effects of having augmentation on being able to breastfeed. (A quick google search tells me it's totally doable, but I guess there are a couple of different ways they can do the implants?)
blue_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #22  

I agree with Robert.I had implants 10 years ago, 1 year later my 44 year old aunt was diagnosed with breast ca.I now have a difficult time with mammograms.I am actually thinking of having them out because now I have quite a family history(10 years later).I guess you never know what is going to happen.Its a personal decision.I wound recommend a lift if you can get the results you want without implants.Like my friend says........a surgeon is a hammer looking for a nail.Meaning....of course surgeons will recommend surgery.Its their job!!!!!!!!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote