Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #1  

Default no babies-how invasive TT?

I'm not expecting that anybody could really answer my question as well as a doctor could. After 80 pounds more or less lost, as happens to many of us, I have some extra "stuff" on my abdomen that I really don't like.
I've seen descriptions of different procedures to get rid of this.
I've never had any babies, and don't plan to, so my abdomen was never stretched from the inside in that way. If I ever decided to have surgery ($ being the major factor stopping me), I was wondering if I would need to have that muscle tightening that so many people have, or if they would just (I say "just" like it's no big deal-yeah right!) remove the extra skin and stuff. Would not having this done save on surgery costs? I realize it would be a very invasive surgery even without the muscle tightening, but expect it might be a little less invasive. Any thoughts? Thanks!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185 / 182.5 / 150

Height: 5'5

Default extra stomache skin removed

I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs by working out with a trainer and eating right - she too had the extra stomach skin that you are talking about. I don't know if she had to have her muscles tightened or not- sorry. Her doctors told her to wait until she was within 15 lbs of her goal or the surgery would be pointless. When the time came she had the surgery (and looks great btw) There was a total of 15 lbs of skin removed from her - just extra skin and she went down 2 additional pant sizes!! She was in recovery for about 6 weeks her doctor told her it is comparable to having a c-section. Good Luck!
3callmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #3  
Meg

Surprisingly, a tummy tuck, along with other kinds of skin removal surgeries, isn't very invasive at all. As my plastic surgeon pointed out, there isn't any cutting into organs, joints, or muscles. It's all superficial skin removal. It certainly can involve a lot of skin, but the recovery isn't as difficult as for surgery that removes organs or cuts into muscles and bones. So that's the good news.

I don't know the answer to your muscle question, though. I had two babies and most definitely needed to have that gap stitched up in order to ever have a flat stomach. If your ab muscles have never been stretched apart, it only makes sense that they don't need to be repaired, but that's just a guess!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #4  

Thanks for your responses. I'm only thinking about this right now. I don't have any definite plans. I already have a surgeon I trust from other things (br reduction, lipoma removal), but just don't have the $$$!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I have not had any babies either but did have a TT two years ago. I asked my surgeon the same question. He said that I did have to have my muscles tightened because the fat acts in the same way having babies does in that it stretches and seperates the muscles. He said he had never heard of anyone performing a TT without doing a muscle repair. Also, it helps make the "result" better. It nips in your waist more and gives you a nice straight dent in your abdomen, mimicing a athletic 20 year old look. Its nice!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/143/145

Can you tell me, Meg, how long did you have to be off work after your tummy tuck? Was a two week period sufficient?
HeatherTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck later this month, I've never had any children, I don't know if I plan on, but after losing 130 pounds the surgeon said I need to have the muscles tightened. She said that being obese does the same thing as pregnancy.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #8  

most genereally its after a c-section that you have to have your muscles put back in place. I dont believe that there is a difference in price, although that might determine on your doctor. If there is no difference in price than I would do it anyways. It definatly wont hurt nything, just make your muscles tighter and give them more eye appeal
calimodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote