Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #1  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Default I'm veiny. Is this normal?

Okay, I know it's a weird question.

Lately I've been noticing all these veins popping up. One on the side of my knee, one down my shins, my forearms, my hands, my feet. Is this from all the exercise? Or were they always that big and I just had them covered up by a layer of fat?

I'm just curious if this comes with the entire weight loss deal.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Oh, I think I am abnormally veiny as well. It probably is just normal--- we are just so more sensitive to the transformations we see in our bodies.
Sometimes I think my hands and feet can be a bit gross with that though!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh now see, I love the veins that I see in my body now. I think they used to be so covered with fat that I never saw them, but I love seeing the veins in my arms and hands particularly. I do notice that when I'm exercising (ie during that session) they pop out more, but I'm not sure what exactly causes it.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My veins on my arms are so bulgy that people comment on them. I also have fairly large veins visible on the sides of my forehead now. Don't know if that's due to weight loss or age.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #5  
No description available.

I've noticed bunches of veins too. I think it is a combination between weight lifting and losing that layer of fat that has hidden them for so long. My right antecubital vein just POPs up like crazy when I am lifting weights. I love discovering all of these veins. How much of my body and potential has been muted by fat all of these years.

I was admiring my feet veins today. Last year I had chunky ankles and feet. Now they are bony and veiny. I think it's kinda cool.

I've spent enough years drawing blood and starting IVs that I appreciate prominent veins.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Midwife, I'm a nurse too & I always notice veins on people. My kids think I'm weird when I say stuff about what great veins someone has for IV's.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am quite veiny now too. And I simply adore it. It's right up there with the love of my collarbones (not quite, but close).

I think it's pretty neat to have them, after they were buried by the fat for so many years.

I sometimes stare admiringly at my hands and feet. Just another sign for me of a fit, healthy, trim person. But this time, they belong to ME. Who wouldv'e thunk it? I say bring em' on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/128/135

Height: 5'4 ¾

Default veins rock!!

Haven't posted in a while, but this post caught my eye (and my veins, lol). I too am proud of my visible veins (and collar bones, and hip bones, etc). They could, however, be a bit fatter--they're so thin, they make donating blood difficult and looooonnngg.
MaggieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm also very veiny now. As a nurse, I always noticed people's veins. When I was obese it always took multiple attempts to get blood or an IV on me. Thank goodness, not anymore. I especially notice the veins in my feet , ankles and calves, but the ones in my hands and arms are awesomely prominent now too.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote