Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #1  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Default How come men don't have excess skin (or much) after drastic weight loss!!!

I was looking at the weight loss success stories on shapefit.com and I noticed lots of the formerly obese men didn't have excess skin after drastic weight loss. I began to wonder why. Is it because they have larger muscles to fill out the places where fat used to occupy. I know men have denser skin than women, therefore it may not be as susceptible to the damages of being obese. Just curious!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #2  
Mel

I've met men with the same skin problems as women when they lose a great deal of weight. I'm sure women are more self-conscious about it, but there are men who have had surgery to deal with the issue also or just learned to live with it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #3  
Meg

Kim, I've never read anything about men having fewer issues with excess skin than we women do (or about thicker skin - that's a new one for me ). My feeling is that they're just like women and some lucky ones have no problems and other have major problems, with all the gradations in between those two ends of the spectrum.

I think it's hard to generalize from photos that people post online. For one thing, it's easy to camouflage and tuck in skin under clothing. Also, those who post pictures are the ones who probably don't have skin issues and are comfortable with their new bodies. Guys who are left with a lot of excess skin probably aren't going to want to post pictures.

You're right that men have the potential to add a lot more muscle mass to fill out loose skin, though it still wouldn't do much for the ab area where many men carry most of their weight. A guy could definitely bulk up his biceps, lats, or quads, but chances are those weren't major skin trouble spots. Lots of formerly overweight guys have issues with gynecomastia (man boobs) and have that surgically fixed.

It is a very interesting question and I wish we had more guys here to give us their perspective.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I also have never heard of men having an easier time of it with regards to excess skin after major weight loss.
I think distinctly about the runner-up in Season 2 of The Biggest Loser who had ripped abs but saggy skin just clumped and hanging at the belly button area.
I also admit to watching plastic surgery shows on tv and there have been numerous men who had to get a tummy tuck, etc. after major weight loss.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the issues are the same for men and women. I knew one guy personally, and have seen a few on shows like Big Medicine who have had extremely severe loose skin. The guy I knew, I knew in college through one of his friends who had been in gym class or something with the guy, and I would never have guessed he had loose skin. It was his friend who told me that the guy had lost like 200 lbs and after the weight loss he wore a lycra bodysuit (like a bicyclist or gymnasts leotard) to hide the "manboobies" and sagging belly skin that his weight loss had caused.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I once dated a man that had lost over 100 lbs. and he definitely had saggy skin. Even though he had firmed his body up as much as possible, loose skin was still a problem for him.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #7  

I wish more men were here too to give their perspective!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I knew an older gentleman that had gastric bypss. He definately had loose skin and being a little younger/unknowing, I was confused by it. Although I don't think he did anything to bulk himself up after loosing the weight.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #9  
but you can call me Sarah

S/C/G: 165/185/135

Height: 5'2

Smile From experience...

My husband has lost 150lbs in just over a year - he definitely has saggy skin...he still wants to lose another 80lbs, and if between now and then he hasnt toned up like he wants to (he's still young and has a chance) we'll consider the plastic surgery route...
wifey bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #10  

Obviously my thoughts were WRONG! I shouldn't have made that generalization while looking at that particular website, because I should KNOW that isn't the case.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #11  
Mommy of 6, 4, almost 1!!

S/C/G: 194.6/179.2/155

Height: 5'1"

When I met my husband he had lost 120 lbs. I met him when he was 24... so I guess he was on the younger side when he lost. Since, we have two children I think it's safe to say I might possibly have seen him naked. hehe But his skin looks great. Definitely he doesnt have man boobs or "flaps" anywhere. The skin in his stomach isnt tight, but it doesnt hang or anything. And woo... he's hot!
shoupfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #12  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

I lost about 115 lbs several years ago when I was 31. I have some skin issues, but they're not bad. Some stretch marks and loose skin around the abdomen mostly. It's pretty invisible under clothes and otherwise I've learned to accept it. I briefly thought about surgery, but it was hard to justify the risk, expense and trauma for what seems like a minor imperfection that doesn't effect my health. I would guess I've faired as well as I have because I lost it fairly young. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll reconsider.
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #13  

IIRC, men have more connective tissue anchoring their skin to the underlying tissue, so they are less likely to suffer from cellulite when they are fat and saggy skin when they lose weight.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 330lb/165lb/155lb

Height: 5'6"

the fact that chicks often have had children, and therefore the skin is stretched out, gone back, stretched out, gone back etc etc. Its not just got big once and gone down again.
wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #15  
Meg

to 3FC, Czech! No one can say for sure, but I think you stand a good chance of being one of the lucky ones with your statistics.

For more info, check out our Weight Loss and Skin FAQs.

And we're all looking forward to getting to know you better!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote