Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/242/130

Height: 5 Foot 6 Inches

Default i've got a question about stretch marks after weight loss

hey guys! i just wanna know some things about stretch marks from those who've reached goal especially after losing like 100 lbs +

1. do stretch marks become more prominent after 100+ lbs weight loss?

2. do you get new stretch marks after weight loss?

3. Which areas of the body have the most stretch marks? inner thighs? butt? where?

4. what do you do to conceal stretch marks?

i am really curious. i know skin sort of shrinks (as far as it can but not always) when one loses weight, but what direction does it go (does that even seem like a logical question? haha)

hope that asking these questions are okay thank you!

right now i've got lots of stretch marks in my hips and tummy... then i've got one big one on my right shoulder and i've got some on my arms... and inner thighs... do those get smaller and don't get noticeable?

Thank you

Last edited by cagedbird; 10-08-2007 at 04:30 AM.
cagedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #2  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

Hi Cagebird,

For me I believe they got more noticeable or I got more strech marks and didn´t notice as mine were always white/silver. I´ve got them almost everywhere ( behind the knees, on my arms bellow armpits, belly, back and hips ) but this is just my genetics, as this vary significantly for one person to the next ... You can always use an anti-strech marks cream to avoid new ones during the weigh loss.

But hey, I´m sooooo happy with my new body and the way I look with what I´ve lost so far (and am looking forward to the last 30lbs) that I don´t even notice or am bothered by the strech marks.
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey cagedbird! You might want to check the Skin FAQ at the top of this forum for more answers as well as browse through some old threads as there have been a few on this subject!
But to answer your questions; 1 and 2: no, 3. everywhere, shoulders and all. 4. nothing to do except cover them up with clothing if they are very irksome.

I'm not sure I understand your "what direction does it (skin) go" question, though.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #4  

what do the shrunken stretch marks look like? its weird because i do accept that fact that stretch marks will come... but what really scares the sh*t out of me is ending up like a pinstripe suit! white pinstripes running north to south... i noticed that a i don't have stretch marks EVERYWHERE in my body. i mean its just in certain areas which i can kinda deal with.... so does that mean when my body shrinks, i'm going to end up getting them everywhere?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Some people get them going up & coming back down - but it's all genetics & somewhat how fast you lose.

For me my stretchmarks definitely fade overtime & I do believe a vitamin E cream helps them fade faster. Unfortunately in some areas that I have stretchmarks my skin somewhat resembles seersucker fabric - not attractive but it's general in areas that no one but dh sees so it does not particularly bother me.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

The only way to get rid of stretch marks is to have them surgically cut off with the rest of your skin (as in a body lift/tummy tuck)--but even that won't get rid of them all. It's something I worry about quite a bit. I didn't have 100+ pounds to lose, but when I was 13, I was put on sterioids that shot my weight up 30 pounds in a month and the result was some HARDCORE stretch marks.

I've got them noticably on the backs on my arms, hips and stomach, and thighs. The ones on my stomach are an inch WIDE in places (and longer than that length-wise). As I've lost weight, they've kinda wrinkled up a little...and I doubt my skin's going to shrink much because of the stretch marks... If it's really bad, I might get a tummy tuck sometime down the line. I'll just add it to my wish list of surgeries (along with porcelain veneers for my teeth, a boob lift and some vein zapping on my face)...

Last edited by Azure; 10-09-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 284/188/160

Height: 5'7"

Stretch marks are caused by rapid gain of weight, weight gain so rapid that your skin cannot stretch to accommodate the extra mass inside it, so a lower layer tears. They start out angry red/purple and fade to slightly depressed silvery lines.

Weight loss does not cause stretch marks; weight GAIN causes stretch marks.

As you lose weight, your stretch marks will stop getting worse (IE they'll start turning silver) and might pucker up a little as your skin gets looser.

So for your questions:
1: They should get less prominent, becoming silvery and barely noticeable. They might be easier to see when you get tan, as scars don't tan as well as normal skin.

2: No. Weight loss doesn't cause stretch marks!

3: Area of the body that has the most stretch marks is the area where your body gained weight the fastest. It varies where they are based on how you personally gained weight. For me, I have them on my stomach and breasts and upper arms mostly.

4: I don't do anything, they're part of me.
grant me wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

Thanks for the great info grantmewings! Well articulated!

Last edited by shrinkingchica; 10-10-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I never had the red stretch marks. Just the whitish ones. Have no idea why. All of the ones I have now are just kind of whitish. I asked the hubby if they showed a lot and he said not unless someone is up close to you. Well the places they are only he is ever that close lol. My mother and sister both losts tons of weight. While they didn't have any extra skin, it all kind of went back in place and this is a good thing. They have really bad stretch marks. Glad to know mine are as bad as they are going to get.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-10-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 AM   #10  

wow you're responses are all appreciated ladies! shrinking chica, i just noticed your ticker (the panda thing) YOU ARE MY IDOL!!!

ps: are the stretch marks at the back of the knees bad that you can't wear mini skirts or booty shorts?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedbird View Post
ps: are the stretch marks at the back of the knees bad that you can't wear mini skirts or booty shorts?
No way! Losing weight entitles you to wear what you want (heck, just being oneself entitles one to wear what one wants! ).
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #12  
Meg

Yay, Charlotte!

You're my hero too.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #13  
Co-Mod

Awww, you guys!

For what it is worth--- I would never have gotten through the transition after weight loss & my surgeries without Meg. You have been fabulously supportive, informative and patient with me. Weight loss and fitness aside, that is why Meg is my hero!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
No way! Losing weight entitles you to wear what you want (heck, just being oneself entitles one to wear what one wants! ).
Yes, ma'am!!! Could not agree more...

About the stretch marks- I've always had them and did not get new ones when I lost. The ones I had- especially on my hips- seemed to "grow" and were really noticeable to me. They just got longer because they had less surface area to cover. They lightened up a long time ago, though.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #15  

omg jen i just saw your before and after. MY GOODNESS!!! YOU LOOK AMAZING!