Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #16  
Nobody Leans on...

S/C/G: 279/165/142

Height: 5'2

I have major stretch marks on my boobs, tummy and under my arms. As I lose more weight and do strength training I find them less bothersome. I keep my skin hydrated and I think it makes the stretch marks appear less noticeable. You're probably going to hear this a million times here, so let me be number million and one:

your weight loss will make you feel so good, you probably won't care as much about the stretch mark.
Sharkysmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #17  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Sharky...I'm hoping for the same thing.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #18  

I think that stretch marks occur when we gain weight so speedy that Our skin can not bear the weight.I am not too sure that it can be during the weight lose.Any way I care smartness more than then the stretch marks.
qaswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #19  
raj

You dont get stretch marks if you lose weight.
What I want to know is that are stretch marks scars.
If they are scars then you can easily get rid of them.
I got rid of a 10 scars on my body. It was when I was in college so I think the younger the better the scars dissappear.
Taking any cream(preferably anti-stretch mark cream, was not available during my college days) or coconut, lanolin or castor oil and rubbing each scar for 5-10 minutes every night after a nice exfoliating bath.(you gotta have a nice scrub bath when you wake up too). Rubbing for 10 minutes seems like an eternity trust me. But I got rid of really deep scars some of which were more than 3 years old.
I have plenty of stretch marks and I dont mind giving this method a try. I am going to by those motorised hand massager. I think 2 minutes in that would be equal to 10 minutes of rubbing.
I just wanted to be sure that stretch marks are scars then I am starting my method as soon as I confirm it. Otherwise it would be a trial and error but I am sure it is worth trying.
raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #20  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Stretch marks are scars, but as with all scars, you cannot *poof* make them disappear. If you catch them early (before they turn silver) your dermatologist can recommend some creams, etc. that can help fade them substantially. But scars are scars--- they fade with time but usually never go away. My body is riddled with them all over--- but they are all silvery and though you can see them at a yard away--- I have come to a grudging acceptance of them because I am stuck with it for life.

Read this forum's Skin FAQ for more info.

Last edited by shrinkingchica; 12-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #21  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Scars on the surface of the skin from external wounds are different from deep tears that occur from within.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 267.4/233.1/174.4

Height: 5 ft 11 inch

best way to make sure you dont get stretch marks is to apply a really good cream on, every night...i know that some are very expensive and sometimes u really couldnt be botherd to do it, but it should become a routine like brushing ur teeth. Im obssesd with my skin, I must have soft healthy skin, and beeing overweight gets in the way with that sometimes, with the pimples and stretch marks. Another very good tip witch most of us do here in Portugal is sun tanning, it ends up by fading the stretch marks, but dont forget to use protection lotion!!!
Didaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 210/151/hot

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkysmachine View Post
your weight loss will make you feel so good, you probably won't care as much about the stretch mark.
Oh how I wish this were the case for me! I think after I've lost, I care more about the stretch marks. Now I think I've worked so hard, I should at least be able to... Oh I don't know, GO SWIMMING?! Get naked in front of a man?!? *gasp*

But no. It's a bummer. At least when I was overweight I was changing for the better, but the sm's will ruin my body no matter how small I get or how far I run.

twentysixpoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj View Post
You dont get stretch marks if you lose weight.
You can if you are also gaining muscle. I was getting them really bad on my deltoids when I was dropping a lot of weight AND lifting real heavy. I think my skin tightened up from the weight loss and then got stretched out by my shoulder muscles getting bigger.

But, like you said, stretch marks come from gaining rather than losing. It is possible however, that you are losing weight, but still getting bigger in some places.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote