Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #1  

Default Questions About Extra Skin, And Surgery To Remove It.

I had a few questions for the people on here who have lost a lot of weight and had to deal with these issues. I realize these are a bit personal, so I don't expect everyone to want to share their story.
1. How much weight did you lose.
2. Where was the extra skin most noticeable.
3. Did extra skin affect your face and upper neck.
4. Was the extra skin noticeable when fully dressed (Pants and long sleeves).
5. If you had weight loss surgery, are the scars noticeable when you're dressed in say, shorts and a tank top. What about bathing suits.
And if anyone has any pictures of the scars after the surgery and healing process they might want to share.
I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just genuinely curious about what to expect.
AngelsEulogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hello and welcome to 3FC.

1- I've lost 144 lbs - so far.

2- So far I have the most excess skin by my inner thighs. A bit below my butt as well. But it's waaay better then I ever would have imagined. We'll see how it goes as I lose more weight and when my skin gets a chance to bounce back.

3- I have ZERO extra skin in my face and neck area.

4-There is no extra skin visible whatsoever when clothed.

5-I haven't had weightloss surgery.

I just want to add that any extra skin I have is way better then all the extra FAT that I had. I would much rather be 140 something pounds with extra skin then 287 lbs with no extra skin. So please don't let the possibility of some extra skin deter you from major (or minor) weightloss.

Check out the sticky Meg mentioned, it's very informative. And yes, please tell us some more about yourself. We're a very helpful bunch here and we'd love to help you out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #3  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Welcome!

1) I have lost 95 pounds.

2) I have alot of skin on my stomach and breasts. There is some on my neck and arms as well. I don't have alot "below" the belt as I never carried my extra weight in that area.

3) Yes, you can see some extra skin on my neck but I don't think my face is too affected.

4) The skin that is noticeable on me, when fully dressed, is still my stomach. It bulges over my jeans if they are a little snug. I find low rise stretchy jeans seem to help a little.

5) I have not had surgery as I just recently hit my goal range. I may consider it after a year or so. I am almost 41 years old and have been at least 50 pounds overweight for 20+ years so I knew excess skin was going to happen. I also have an apple shape and I am still an apple shape...just smaller.

I wish you luck on your journey.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #4  
WLS Diva & mommy!

S/C/G: 254/140/140

Height: 5'3"

1. How much weight did you lose? I've lost 108 lbs to date....hoping to loose a little more

2. Where was the extra skin most noticeable? For me yes...I was apple shapped, so all of my excess skin is in the abdominal area. I wear a girdle to hold me in when I go out of the house...otherwise I have to wear a size or 2 bigger to hide it.

3. Did extra skin affect your face and upper neck? not for me

4. Was the extra skin noticeable when fully dressed (Pants and long sleeves)?
for me yes...all in the abdominal area...I have this big ol flop of skin/fat that hangs over my pants if I'm not wearing my girdle...

5. If you had weight loss surgery, are the scars noticeable when you're dressed in say, shorts and a tank top. What about bathing suits. I had WLS, and because it was done laproscopically my scars are hardly noticible and are all in the abdominal area which you wouldn't see with shorts/tank top. You can't see them in shorts/tank top. As for bathing suits...I have a one piece and it covers nicely.
goddess819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

1. How much weight did you lose: 139#s

2. Where was the extra skin most noticeable: Tummy, upper arms, breasts and inner thighs.

3. Did extra skin affect your face and upper neck: No, not at all, but then again I am in my 20s.

4. Was the extra skin noticeable when fully dressed (Pants and long sleeves): Because the skin was so loose on my upper arms it was noticable in that my arms would always jiggle a lot.

5. If you had weight loss surgery, are the scars noticeable when you're dressed in say, shorts and a tank top. What about bathing suits.: I did not have weight loss surgery. But, the scars from my plastic surgery are slightly noticable, meaning that once the whole healing time is completed (which can take up to 2 years) you will be able to still see the scars. But you would have to get your face up close and personal with the scars to actually see them. Scars on arms will eventually fade but will be there when you wear tank tops. Scars on legs will eventually fade but will be there when you wear shorts. Scars on your tummy will fade but will still be there when you wear a bathing suit.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #6  

Thank you all so much for answering the questions. I'm going to post an Introduction soon, I browsed this site for a few days but just finally got around to signing up and posting! I have looked at the other posts under this section, which helped a LOT, but I was still curious about those other questions, just to get an idea of what it will be like once I lose all the weight I plan to lose.
I noticed all of you have lost an amazing amount of weight! Congratulations!
AngelsEulogy is offline   Reply With Quote