Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Cottage Cheese Thighs

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this question is, but here goes. I've lost weight, I'm keeping it off, and now I'm working on strength training to increase muscle mass and reduce my body fat percentage. All these things are great, I'm starting to actually see muscle definition, and I love it!

However, while most of my legs are starting to look shapely and muscular, there's this little area right at the tops of my outer thighs that is really lumpy. That's right, the dreaded cottage cheese thighs. I'm pretty sure this is just the way the skin there is, and losing more weight or building more muscle wouldn't really get rid of it.

So the question is this -- there are a lot of creams on the market that are supposed to firm up this skin and get rid of the lumpiness. Do any of them work? Is there some secret to smoothing out this part of my skin? Or am I just stuck with lumpy upper thighs and I should make peace with it?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

have you ever heard of that device called Velashape? It's supper expensive but I heard it works. From what I heard creams just don't work
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #3  

There are some creams that will plump the skin up making it appear smooth, however, it's a temporary fix (just a few hours).

Lots of spas and plastic surgeons offer treatments for this, but they're very expensive and I'm not sure how well they really work. I used to work at a spa where we offered endermologie, but the results were not permanent.

You may see further real improvements as you continue to strength train and lower your body fat %.

Good luck!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #4  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

My mom had a 'leg-lift' surgery which was supposed to pull all the skin on her thighs up and reduce her cellulite (she had tons after an 80 pound weight loss). The surgery was painful and expensive, and I'm sad to say her legs don't look any better . As her daughter, I've inherited these lumpy legs. If there is a real fix out there, I'll be the first in line!!!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I'm sure I'll have the same issue of celulite when I reach goal. I think liposuction might remove the extra fatty deposits. I'm not sure though.

And I'll have to research Velashape. Thanks for the pointer Caliyah!
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #6  
Angela

Yes, if anyone learns more about Velashape do you mind posting it here? I found the company website, but am curious to hear some real-life testimonials if anyone out there has tried it/knows someone whose tried it. Thanks!

Wish
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #7  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

hi

If you just youtube it, you can watch some newsclips. It was featured on Dr Phil, CBS News, the Rachel Ray Show and E. From the demonstrations I saw it seemed to be working and the only device I've heard good things about.
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #8  
Angela

Thanks Caliyah! I'm going to check it out RIGHT NOW!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

If you haven't looked there already, check out the velashape reviews on realself dot com. It's one of my favorite places to find out about real results for different cosmetic treatments.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

I had really bad cellulite, and then a month ago I bought MBT shoes for £95. A month later, I don't have any cellulite. Hope that suggestion helps!
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiad View Post
I had really bad cellulite, and then a month ago I bought MBT shoes for £95. A month later, I don't have any cellulite. Hope that suggestion helps!
??? What are MBT shoes? How do they reduce cellulite (in a month, no less)?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #12  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

http://www.swissmasai.com

They're shoes which replicate barefoot walking. Walking uses more muscles, and so as well as improving posture (and getting rid of my lower back pain!!!!) they really tone legs and *** and in my case, eradicated my cellulite.

I wear them every day, when and wherever I can. They're a godsend and the best 100 quid I ever spent.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote