Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default VENT what the heck, new stretch marks!?!?

tell me this... how is it possible for me to be getting NEW stretch marks now that i am losing weight??? i didnt think that was possible... isnt it the other way around, like if i was getting bigger then that would be a reason but why now?!? this is so frustrating..

by the way you may be asking yourselfs how i know that they are new and not just old ones i never noticed.. well number 1 they are red.. and number 2 belive me i know.. they itch!
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #2  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

My BFF didn't get one stretch mark her entire pregnancy. She was so proud of her skin for holding up to a 50 pound gain. Then, she had her baby. And the weight started dropping off. And, then stretch marks started forming. Seems that sometimes, deflating quickly can also cause stretch marks.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't understand this! Maybe one of the other mods will know...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/189/160

Height: 5 foot 6 inches

Default The same thing happened to me

I gained 35 lbs and did not get one stretch mark. When I started working out and losing weight the stretch marks started showing up. I asked my doctor about it because I was very upset. He said it is very common when you lose weight at a fairly rapid pace. He discribed it like a ballon. When it is full of air it it smooth, but when you deflate thw balloon it gets wrinkley and loses the original shape. Don't get frustrated it sounds like you are doing great!
Courtney
changing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Maybe you lost the weight faster than you gained it, and that's why? I've already heard about that 'fact' too, and it happened to my sister as well a few years ago--although she was silly to start with: she made a 'bet' with a friend about who could lose the fastest when she wasn't even as heavy as I am now, stopped eating for 2-3 weeks altogether, and completely deflated. o_O
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #6  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Oh MAN, I discovered a new stretch mark yesterday, too, and I was like "what the...?" In fact, I was going to post a thread about it. Crazy. We're stretch mark twins! X_X

It makes no logical sense. I will be watching this thread like a hawk.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8

i know what you mean... how could you get new ones shrinking down??? its not like your skin is stretching anymore.. argh! indeed we are twins.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #8  
I'm lovin my scale

I've had the same problem since losing weight. I just try to look at them as a kind of "badge of honor" I've busted my butt to get where I am and every new stretch mark, no matter how unsitely, is a sign that I'm still working hard. I actually feel kind of proud now when I notice a new one. I think you just have to find a positive way to look at it or it'll drive you nuts.
imsexydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote