Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #1  
Brittany

S/C/G: 290/Check Tracker/115

Height: 5'5

Default stretch marks!

Hey guys

I'm 22 years old and I have quite a few nasty stretch marks around my belly button because I gained weight in a very short period of time. I was wondering for anyone who has been around my size 5'5 and 248 lbs at my highest. Did the stretch marks go away (or fade) as you lost weight or did they stay the same.. also did you have any loose skin around that area... that's what I'm REALLY afraid of

thanks for your help!
I Heart Diet Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, we have a positive/negative situation here. If you gained the weight quickly and weren't obese for a long time, the loose skin issue will probably be minimal for you. Thats the positive.

The negative is stretch marks don't really go away. If they are still red and new, you can ask your doctor for creams and etc to treat, but once they turn silver and have aged a bit, they are permanent. They fade over time, but never go away entirely.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #3  
Brittany

well... I suppose I can deal with the stretch marks as long as they fade. It'll be like a reminder of where I was. I just don't want a big ol flap of loose skin haha
Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #4  
Meg

Hi Brittany! I hope you don't mind me moving your question to our new Body Image and Issues After Weight Loss forum because it fits right in.

As for loose skin, take a look at the sticky about Excess Skin at the top of this forum page.

Stretch marks will fade over time, but never disappear. My understanding is that a dermatologist can treat them if they're still red, but once they're silver, there isn't anything that can be done to make them go away.

Self-tanner is a great concealer!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #5  
Brittany

Thanks Meg

And no I don't mind at all... there are so many forums on this site it's hard to find the right one
Old 05-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #6  
Meg

Poke around here if you'd like - there are lots of threads about stretch marks and what weight loss does to our skin.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

A doctor or dermatologist can prescribe "Retin-A" for the red ones if s/he deems it appropriate for you and once they are silver, surgical removal or "Relume" can eliminate or minimize them.

The last two can be quite costly and require visiting a MediSpa or Plastic Surgeon, so if you are interested, I would suggest you do an online search and read up.

That being said, from working with thousands of bodies (and the people in them ) I can tell you that nearly everyone has them somewhere on their body!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #8  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

If you go to your local health food store (or probably just a regular store) you can find bottles of vitamin E oil. The most convenient are the bottles that have the roll on thing so it's easy to apply. Every night apply the oil the stretch marks and cover with your shirt (make sure its a shirt you dont mind ruining because the oild never comes off) and then put a heating pad over the shirt. I do this and I can tell you i got very dramatic results! Mine used to be a deep purple and now they are faded and that silver color (which is probably where they are to stay) so if you are in the red/purple stage I would say start doing this!

Hope this helps
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #9  
Brittany

thanks newmala! I will give that a try for sure!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

They fade but they probably won't disappear. Unfortunately!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #11  

I gained weight fast and now I have ugly strecth my stomach that look like I have a baby. But I have not had a baby and the just keeping growing a getting bigger and i feel so gross and my FH doesnt mind them but to me i feel like it hurts my self image and I know that they will never go away
Sunshine07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #12  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Sunshine - they will fade and you'll notice them less when you're smaller.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote