Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #1  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default For Those Who Have Lost A Significant Amount Of Weight

For those who have lost a significant amount of weight, what about you is different? Do you see yourself differently, is there an attitude change, etc.?

Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #2  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

For my body size, I consider my 50+ lbs weight loss significant because for my short height, I was in the obese range. I'm much more healthy, alert, and active then I was 15 months ago, but I still have my same personality and personal struggles that I had before. They don't disappear with the weight loss. I can say I'm very happy that the weight is gone, but I can't say that I'm happier because of it. (Luckily, I'm a very happy person to begin with)

What I'm trying to say is weight loss alone won't change you or change your problems. Those have to be worked on separately.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

As the others said, at my core I am exactly the same. And all my problems did not disappear.

But, I have a lot more confidence in myself and in how others perceive me. I am, without a doubt, stronger and fitter than at any time in my adult life. I have more energy and can just flat out do more.

I think of myself differently too. Rather than opting out of things because I think I can't, I am more likely to wonder if I can. I pay more attention to my body, both in terms of my abilities, and how I clothe and present myself.

Mind you, I am still at a weight many would consider unhealthy, but I think it's less about my weight and more about my perceptions, as well as the regular exercise I am getting and the healthier food I am eating.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #4  
No description available.

Gorgeous new avatar, Heather!!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hmmmmm.

Well, I am still the same person, only now I am new and improved!

I take better care of my self (in every way), I am less likely to think that people are judging me, I have more confidence, and I think that overall I am a happier person. I feel more worthwhile.

I have, however, become more critical of my appearance because I think that more of my focus and attention has now been placed on this. But, I am more critical because I hold myself in higher regard. I now think of how pretty I can dress and wear my hair, ect. Whereas before I would think why bother, I will still look fat and ugly no matter what shirt I wear.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I see myself as exactly the same. There are physical things I can see different like my collar bones and the hollow in my underarms and bones I can feel that I never felt before. When I look in the mirror though, I don't really feel like I've lost over 100 lbs. Maybe it is because I am still obese.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

A lot changed -- I went from virtually not living life --- no friends, social life, dating, no job, no confidence, no money, no motivation, no aspirations --- to having all those things. After I lost weight, I got my first boyfriend (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th *ahem*), reconnected with some of my old friends, made new friends, got a really great job (I wouldn't have been hired at 300 pounds because it required me to be able to be active), a new car, a new apartment with all new furnishings, and I decided to go back to school to pursue what I'm really passionate about. Would anyone of this happened if I still weighed over 300 pounds? NO WAY. I know I would have moved back with my parents (my money was nearly gone right before I got my new job) and would have become even more anti-social and probably would have gained even more weight.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well my self-esteem began to rise, thanks largely to my husband, before I lost weight. Its probably one of the reasons I managed to be able to lose it this time. But since then...

I have waaaaaaaaay more energy. I enjoy doing things I hated before. Like standing in the checkout line since my knees don't bother me, walking through store after store since my feet and back don't hurt. Getting out and going places since my hatchback ain't so cramped a place anymore.

I have a lot more confidence in everything. I LOVE to sing in my car. Used to if I had my window down and was singing and someone with their window down pulled alongside me at a light, I stopped singing. I don't do that now. Did losing weight make me a better singer? Course not! I still suck eggs. But now I guess I'm not thinking they're looking at me, make em stop. If they're looking at me now, I have nothing to be ashamed of them looking at. Hey! I look GOOD!

I started wearing a whole different style of clothes. I don't dress frumpy anymore. Now I dress to accentuate my figure, to show off some flesh even. I'm proud of my body and I like to show it. Mid-driff tops, very low rise pants, low cut summer tops, clunky healed outrageous shoes that sit 4 inches off the ground...those are my favs. Before, it was sack dresses and flats, which I'd kick off under my desk cause my danged feet hurt so much. Before, I also wore hose if any leg was showing. I didn't like the look of my legs. I haven't worn hose (even with a dress) in years now.

I'm the same person "inside", like others have said. But I'm a more confident, energetic, and outgoing same person. If people like to be around you, they'll still like to be around you. YOU may just not tire of getting out with them now as much as you did before. So now they can enjoy your company even more.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
Hmmmmm.

Well, I am still the same person, only now I am new and improved!

I take better care of my self (in every way), I am less likely to think that people are judging me, I have more confidence, and I think that overall I am a happier person. I feel more worthwhile.

I have, however, become more critical of my appearance because I think that more of my focus and attention has now been placed on this. But, I am more critical because I hold myself in higher regard. I now think of how pretty I can dress and wear my hair, ect. Whereas before I would think why bother, I will still look fat and ugly no matter what shirt I wear.
Oh, I like your answer! Both with regard to the pros and the "cons" so to speak.

It can take me so much longer to get dressed now because I am much more critical of how things look on me.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #10  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Denise, everything changes. Just everything. Relationships, self-image, people's responses to you, confidence, the way you see the world, empowerment ... I could go on and on forever.

I can't think of anything that doesn't change except that, at the core, I'm exactly the same person that I always was. But all the manifestations of who I am and how people interact with me changed, if that makes any sense. It's a great question but it's hard to put an answer into words, sorry!
Thanks, everyone for the great responses. This question was asked of me and I came up with quite a few answers myself.

Meg, don't be sorry because the responses you gave were so close to my own. I notice that people now come up to me and just start conversations, people I don't even know. This didn't happen 45 lbs. ago, my self-image definitely has changed.

Everyone who said that the core doesn't change is so right. We are still the same inside.

Thanx, everyone.

Wishing You The Best
Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

The increase in self-confidence that I have experienced was somewhat surprising. It has carried over into so many other parts of my life that seem to have nothing to do with weight loss.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Everyone treats me better. Men and women. I am confident to excuse myself through a crowd.. I would say confidence is the main thing. People *do* treat you alot different when you are smaller.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am totally more confident, healthier, more energetic, more out-going and more active now. I don't think there is anything about me that losing the wt. didn't change. I love how I look and how I feel now and that's something I would have never said before in many, many years.

Ready2Shed, I like being able to fit through a crowd now too. If I can't fit now, someone is taking up too much space (and it isn't me for a change, LOL).
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 7''

My goodness everything has changed!

For starters the health benefits - I now have significantly lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and less stress on my joints. I have bags more energy..I have fitness now...no more getting winded or aching muscles from a short stroll. I am calmer, more organised and less aggressive in work, exercise has done wonders for me.

I'm more confident, I look better, I'm treated better by other people, I get attention from the opposite sex, I respect myself more, I could just go on and on here....

In the past year I have lost 80lbs, applied and got my driving licence, bought a car, got a promotion, got a 20% pay rise, taken up numerous sports, ran a half marathon and just booked a 6 week solo back-packing holiday. I'm convinced that its all linked to my weight loss. Everything has changed for me.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/150/150

I agree more energy and confinate. I love the statement no more I can't, it's I wonder if I can. You all are so inspirational and wise women.
christabell3 is offline   Reply With Quote