Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Same here - EVERYTHING changed.

Of course I still have the same values, morals, beliefs, ideals and all that really important inner stuff - that has not changed.

The only strange thing that HAS changed for me, inner wise, is my sensitivity toward overweight people funny enough. I see somebody overweight now and my heart absolutely goes out to them, much more so then before. I want so badly to help them, though I know that I can not. I think I am overall more sensitive to people with handicaps now. I don't know why that is.

-My confidence level has definitely soared. It's just so much more enjoyable to socialize and even to shop in the grocery store. I smile so often now. I am so friendly and people are always approaching me now. I interact so well with others now. And the funny thing is I always thought I had compensated for my large weight by trying to be outgoing. No, now I see that that was not the case.

-My energy level and stamina has increased by leaps and bounds. Indescribably so. I can't even begin to tell you.

-My enjoyment of even the most mundane things has risen as well. Big time. Even doing the dishes and the laundry is more enjoyable now. I can't quite explain it.

-I finally feel just so normal, regular and ordinary - like I blend in. I always felt as if I was taking up more then my fair share of the universe. Probably because I was

-I worry a lot less now. I was always worried about seats and chairs. If I was going to fit in them and then if I was going to break them. I worried about going to parties. I worried about clothing (which is an absolute joy now) There was never enough choices for me. I always felt so dowdy and underdressed wherever I went. Nothing reflected me and my style.

-And then of course there's the health worries. I had such fears about putting myself at added risks for dreaded diseases. Those have ceased. Thankfully.

-Getting dressed is a pleasure, going to sleep is a pleasure. Just EVERYthing is so much BETTER.

-I feel as if the whole world has opened up to me. As if I can be an active participant in life now instead of just an observer.

Yeah, I could go on and on and on. There really isn't even one area that has not been affected by my weightloss. Not one.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-10-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added a thought
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #17  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I have much more confidence, I believe that if I can lose weight and run marathons then I can do pretty much anything if I want it badly enough and am prepared to work for it.

The biggest change in the way I see myself is that I no longer believe that I'm always destined to be fat and unfit. I see myself as an athlete, and increasingly other people see me as that too. I train, and I eat to fuel my training. I believe that the only limit on how fast I can run is how hard I train. (OK, there is a genetic limit too, but realistically I don't have the time to train hard enough to find out where that point is ). I don't believe that I'm destined to put the weight back on. I see myself as a thin person who temporarily got fat, rather than as a fat person who lost weight.

I've been white water rafting, and I'm booked on a climbing weekend. I'm also probably going to go sky diving this month. I'm more confident at work, and I'm happier to follow my own dreams rather than what I think I should be doing.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #18  
I'm lovin my scale

I'll have to echo what everyone else has said. There's been no great change in my basic personality with weight loss, I just feel more free to let it shine. I used to believe that I was destined to be fat, I was just a fat girl who was always gonna be fat, until I made a decision to change things.

I've accomplished other things in my life, earned two degrees, but nothing has meant more to me than losing weight. I always knew I could excell in school, but I never thought I could lose weight, so it meant more to me. Because I was able to do something I never thought I could, I now feel more confident in general. I carry myself differently and feel more capable. I jogged 5.25 miles yesterday and loved it. Before I lost the weight, I groaned when even looking at a short flight of steps.

I think more than anything, losing the weight was empowering. I'm the same person, I just believe in myself more.
imsexydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #19  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

What a great thread!

I think a major weight loss allows a person to have a fundamental shift in identity. It completely changed the way I look at myself and my future. Besides being very helpful in the reclamation of my health, it gave me enormous hope. When I was at my heaviest, I felt like I was at the bottom of a well I couldn't climb out of. I thought it would likely be the way I'd spend the rest of my life. It just seemed so insurmountable and so limiting. After the lifestyle change and weight loss I feel like a have a great deal more control over my life. I think it allows a person to reinvent certain aspects of their identity. I found it empowering that many people who knew me when I was heavy didn't immediately recognize me when they met me afterwards. In some ways it gave me a chance to start over. I feel more things in life are within my grasp now.

John
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

John, I like that. Yes, it gave me hope. I always thought I was doomed and destined to sit on the sidelines and kinda look in on life. And the weightloss HAS given me hope. I feel now as if there's nothing that I can't try. A whole new world has opened up for me. So, yeah, that definitely changes your whole outlook on life and therefore it has to affect your entire personality.

Although I must say I find it very strange, in a good way for the most part, to have people not recognize me. I really do find this odd and even a bit sad at times.

What I do get a big kick out of is people who never knew me when I was 287 lbs. They simply don't have a clue that I was a totally different person.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #21  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You all came through with so many wonderful comments. I really appreciate all the support here at this forum.

John, you have such great insight. Your weight loss is impressive.

Thanks everyone.

Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #22  
WLS Diva & mommy!

S/C/G: 254/140/140

Height: 5'3"

I have to pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. My confidence is better...although I do still have a lot of "I'm fat" days...I think it's because of the excess abdominal skin I have. People notice me more...and at first I didn't know how to handle that. For so many years I was the invisible fat girl...then when the weight was gone I was getting noticed and I have to be honest...it scared me. It took a little time but I got used to it and now I'm ok with it. I still have some self esteem issues...and still think I'm fat...but yet too scared to loose much more weight. I want to be skinnier...but don't want to be too skinny. Make sense? Anyway...Life is much better as a normal weighted person.

Good luck...

Kristy
goddess819 is offline   Reply With Quote