Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-22-2007, 07:16 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Default Wow! Finally!!

Oh My Goodness!!

I am so happy that this forum has been created! I actually went searching online to see if I could find a board that discussed this in particular and I went scrolling through 3FC and here it is! Finally!!!

I know that I really struggle with body image issues and a whole other assortment of things that are a result of my weight loss and I am sure that so many of you guys do to. I look forward to sharing our stories and struggles together!

shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Charlotte! Mel, Suzanne and I thought this would be a great addition to Maintainers. It's going to be a place to talk about both the physical and mental/emotional changes we go through as we lose weight - Why do I look in the mirror and still see fat?

We're going to pull all the reconstructive surgery/excess skin posts together here too, along with the Skin FAQs. Have you noticed how many questions are being posted now about skin? Wow, I think we need a place to discuss it!

So jump in and post away!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
We're going to pull all the reconstructive surgery/excess skin posts together here too, along with the Skin FAQs. Have you noticed how many questions are being posted now about skin? Wow, I think we need a place to discuss it!
I know!! But then again, it is a major concern for alot of people losing weight and for those who have lost (as well we know ).
Anyways, I am glad that there is now a formal place where these subjects can be addressed. Because I know that I love getting and giving knowledge....... and it soooo helps to talk about things that people who aren't "BIG losers" don't really "get." I had a fat-head day today and am feeling a bit weepy and this was a little bit of a pick-me up.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Sending you a HUGE !

You're so right, there isn't anyone in the world who can understand what weight loss does to our minds and bodies ... unless they've been there themselves. Even though I'm almost five years out from goal , I'm never leaving this place!

BTW, I know you post in lots of forums here. If you can think of any threads that belong here, let me know, OK?

I don't plan on leaving either! This place has been such a help.

And will do on the threads!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #5  
Mel

Aw, Charlotte! Did you keep a pair of "fat pants"? Whenever my eyes get distorted I have one pair of denim shorts that I kept...the size 18 ones that I couldn't zip on the plane returning from vacation almost siz years ago.

Pull on your fat pants if you have them, and then look in the mirror. Think about how many of YOU would fit in then now!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You know, I had a pair of "fat pants" size 32 jeans but I can't find them anymore.

Something strange is when I look at myself in the mirror, I can't really see the difference between me now and me 3 years ago. I still have fat thighs, a belly that hangs down, rolls on my back, fat arms, etc. I mean I know there are changes such as being able to see collar bones and the fact that I couldn't wear a size 32 jean or what not.

What is worse is the part of my body I was most proud of is now the part that I can't stand. I used to love my legs and butt. I didn't have much cellulite on my butt/thighs before but now it seems to be appearing. My butt and thighs that felt fairly firm just a few months ago now feel all squishy. My inner thighs are sagging worse than ever. I know it is part of losing weight but still I think I should be rewarded for my weight loss, instead my body seems to be getting more deformed every day.

I start to wonder, will I turn into one of those ladies that doesn't want to wear a swimsuit? Doesn't want to wear sleeveless tops? Doesn't want to wear shorts? Doesn't want to have her husband see her naked?

Oh well, we'll see.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, I was cleaning out my closet this weekend, and there were my fat jeans. My DH said "do you want these?" I told him I certainly did - helps me remember where I was.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default I was wondering the same thing today!

PHP Code:
I start to wonderwill I turn into one of those ladies that doesn't want to wear a swimsuit? Doesn't want to wear sleeveless topsDoesn't want to wear shorts? Doesn't want to have her husband see her naked?

Oh wellwe'll see. 
Nelie and all,

I was looking for a swimsuit today to hang down and cover my wrinkly thighs
(though my ticker doesn't show it, I lost 80# several years ago..have gained 15 back, that is why I am here!) and I thought how nice it would be to just buy a suit and not worry about what to cover. It is not fair that we do something as remarkable as losing 60, 80, 100#s or more, and then have to contend with still having to cover up. I think as long as I don't have rolls of fat, I am just going to wear a regular suit.

Glory, thanks for sharing about your surgeries. I had a face lift, but that was all I could afford.....I have consulted for tummy tuck and thigh lift, but from what I hear the thigh lift is a tough recovery, and because I ride horseback, the surgeon said it would pull out for sure. *sigh

Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

I do have a pair of fat pants, size 24W when I get to goal I am going to redo my fat pants piccy. It does help to try them on...... but as Mel said in another post, sometimes I am just not satisfied where I am at now and want to lose soooo much more so that I can feel "lean."

Also, Mary, I horsebackride and am getting a thigh lift in 6 weeks.... the recovery might be long but it won't keep one from riding for forever!

Maybe Meg and Mel can shed some light on that for us.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #10  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Today, I put on my 'fat pants' for the first time since losing the weight and was astounded at how big they were and how small I am again. My DH looked at me in disbelief that I had changed so much.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default thigh lift question

Charlotte, the surgeon I consulted said that the lift is tacked, actually stitched to the pubic bones. He was emphatic that the stitching, scars, would pull out over time. It wasn't that he was afraid I would get back on Thunder (my sweet Arabian) too soon. The other surgeon I consulted was the one who did my face lift........man, he did a good job at that....he said the same thing......if you just put the scar in the crease between the thigh and the pubis, then the scar falls down with time. Perhaps someone who has had one knows more.......Char, good luck; I will be waiting and keeping a good thought for you. Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote