The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1  

Default Jillian's Online Exercise Plan

Not sure if this has been discussed before so I apologize for the repetition...

Jillian's plan seems to get the biggest changes over the 4-5 month period of the challenge. Her plan on the BL website comes down to 3 hrs and 45 minutes of exercise a day -- an hour of functional weight lifting and the rest in cardio.

Has anyone tried this? Is anyone interested in buddying up to try this?

Barb

Last edited by Keillynsmom; 03-14-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/137/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keillynsmom
Not sure if this has been discussed before so I apologize for the repetition...

Jillian's plan seems to get the biggest changes over the 4-5 month period of the challenge. Her plan on the BL website comes down to 3 hrs and 45 minutes of exercise a day -- an hour of functional weight lifting and the rest in cardio.

Has anyone tried this? Is anyone interested in buddying up to try this?

Barb
3 hrs and 45 minutes a day?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 PM   #3  
Tekken-Style

Honestly, I might would steer clear of the BL Club, if that's where you're getting it from. It's pricy, and not everything on there is -- how do I put this -- well, not totally from Bob and or Jillian. (I'm trying to come up with a better way of saying it, but I'm brain dead right now)

On Jillian's Web site, and in her newsletters, it's been pimping her new online fitness program, due out relatively soon. It may be better to wait for that first.

As for the 3 hours and 45 minutes a day ... That's roughly what the contestants were doing while on the show, but nowhere have I read Jillian advocating that much work out time a day. If anything, she promotes roughly 4 hours of weights/resistance a week with I think w/2 hours of cardio thrown in on the 'off' days.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Lass
As for the 3 hours and 45 minutes a day ... That's roughly what the contestants were doing while on the show, but nowhere have I read Jillian advocating that much work out time a day. If anything, she promotes roughly 4 hours of weights/resistance a week with I think w/2 hours of cardio thrown in on the 'off' days.
That's what she recommends in her book. It's very sustainable. IMHO - 3 and 45 minutes a day would leave me burned out really fast. Yeah - I'd get the weight off...but then I would stop and gain it right back.

She also has DVD workouts - they are only a half an hour. She mentioned being kind of bummed that they were so short - but it was the decision of the marketing people who thought a hour was too long to sell. She suggests repeating each circuit twice or adding cardio after you do the DVD.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:45 AM   #5  

I would be interested in trying it with you if you wanted to. On the Biggest Loser Australia addition she says clearly what she tells her contestants to do and its approximately 4 hours. But Bob does the same so...plus I heard Bob saying to Fiona (one of the Ozzys) that they have to do their 'homework' which is more exercise as he said during your homework get your calories burnt to 2500.

Im going to try a plan similar to Gillians 4 hours a day over the summer months to lose weight quickly for when I go away.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #6  
For Real This Time!

Height: 5' 4.5"

This is just my opinion but who the heck has time (or endurance for that matter)to work out almost 4 hours A DAY??? Not me! I have kids and a hubby and I don't even work outside the home. Just taking care of the house and family is enough. I work out every day for 30 min. Again just MHO but this seems almost unhealthy to keep up for a long period of time.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 148/147/125

Height: 5'4"

I can't imagine anyone working out that many hours a day unless they didn't work and had no kids.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #8  

Thanks for the replies -- thought I'd launched a dead topic.

What I hope to do is to follow a modified version of Jillian's plan from the nbc.com BL website for twelve weeks. It will take some re-arrangement of schedules and getting up waaay too early but I really, really have to do something different or I'm just going to give up and get the surgery. I don't expect it to be easy -- I have two girls, 8 and 5 years old, a husband and a full-time job -- but I have to do *something*. I don't plan on making it a lifestyle.

Which brings up the question -- what do our contestants do now? I see the plans for while they were at the Ranch but what did they do between the Ranch and the final weigh-in? I saw one article about the season 2 winners and they said they did about an hour's worth of exercise a day to maintain.

If anyone's interested in trying this out, give me a PM!

Thanks,

Barb
Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've only seen a few of the BL episodes and those were from the first season. A couple months back though I did buy Jillian's DVD set because I thought it'd be nice to have a workout that is only 30 minutes. I only did one but mostly because I decided to restart the gym instead of doing videos. I have them as a backup. The one dvd I did though was killer, not because of the individual exercises but because of the up down up down up down movements. One second you are on the floor, the next you are standing. It didn't help that it was also the height of my recent knee problems She is crazy but I like her in a way.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #10  

Default Four hours????

ok im all for a great work out but ill tell ya....as some of you may remember my running adventure....putting it lightly!...as you may recall i suffered from stick man syndrom due to my 4 mile...or whatever it was run...so....could you imagine how id be after 4 hours...then after that...when and how could i care for my 5 kids and 6th kid (hubby)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #11  
DIVA

You have to keep in mind that those diet plans on NBC's websites were created for specific contestants under a doctor's supervision and a nutritionist. If you are going to do that much exercise in one day you will have to take in a huge amount of proteins and be strict on the diet otherwise you will burn yourself out and put strain on your heart.

If you are going to do that - please talk to a doctor and nutritionist first.

Please remember that the people on the biggest loser are trained professionals and the contestants were on a ranch designed for contact exercise and balanced meals.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #12  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

I can't imagine exercising almost 4 hours a day. I go to the gym 4 days a week and am there about an hour and a half and I have to really schedule things to be able to do that. With work, kids, and husband, how on earth can you get that much exercise in and be worth something to the family?