The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #46  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Wow, FABULOUS show last night. I'll admit to a kleenex here and there too--it was so damn inspiring and moving.

OK, I could be crazy, but I finally realized that Kathryn had gotten these "white highlights" in her (looks like black) hair since the ranch. Personally, I think the "Cruella de Vil" hair contributed to her looking so dour. I give her snaps for showing up though and hey, the girl DID maintain the weight lost--she just ended up with a seasons' worth of super achievers (Nick being the obvious exception).

I'm kind of hoping that at some point Jillian talks about the sagging skin issue. Back when I was doing WW there was always tons of discussion among folks about that and I really wish that more of these fitness books would be upfront about what can be overcome with resistance work and what can't. I've got Jillian's book and I am SO tempted to skip the ultimate goal reward of something like "Hawaiian vacation" and instead go for "tummy tuck and chicken wing removal" LOL

Christie I am *so* with you on the body fat situation. I really wish the winner was based on a combination sort of score--50% based on percentage of overall weight lost (or maybe only 40% for that) and the remainder based on total BODY FAT percentage lost. Matt lost the most overall weight, but I don't think he was the leanest person there last night (Seth was quite lean! Pete too!).

I'd like to weigh in on the therapy discussion too. So...personal disclaimer: I've worked at the Olympic Training Center and with a lot of elite athletes. Whether or not the contestants should receive therapy while at the ranch (my personal vote is that therapy should be AVAILABLE to them if they'd like it), I honestly think that Matt needs some counseling. Introspective about himself at the end? Well.....yeeeesss. But, Matt is displaying some incredibly classic (frankly, cliched) behavior for retired elite athletes. Many athletes at very competitive levels become quite lost when they leave their sport. They eat, they drink, and they just generally lose direction because their whole identity and sense of "self" is wrapped up in their identity as "a gymnast," an "ice skater," or um...."a wrestler." My little alarm bells kept going off when Matt manages to kick the alcohol, successfully overcomes his weight issue, but what is his whole reason for living now? Appears to be WRESTLING. And not just wrestling in an adult competitive league because it is something he enjoys doing, but he is wanting to return to elite competition EVEN AGAINST THE ADVICE OF DOCTORS. I'm just not convinced that he can see a future (or identity) for himself outside of wrestling. I think that of the three finalists (and all the contestants that showed last night--maybe even Kathryn), Matt is the most likely to regain weight in the future because unless he can "re-invent" himself with an identity and purpose in life other than wrestling (wrestling could be a component--like as a coach, or as a recreational opportunity, etc.), he is sort of setting himself up for some serious disappointments/failures. My soapbox.

Oh, and those friends of his. Boy, time for a new batch (even more than Suzy's--I felt that his "bar buddies" were actually mean spirited and that he realizes this and is trying to deal with the reality that these are maybe not good people to keep in his life).

I might have to copy some pics off the website--before and after photos--for inspiration on my frig :-D !
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #47  

I checked out all of the contestents body fat % earlier and if I remember correctly, Matt's was the lowest at 2.5% (+/-). Seth was 3 something and Suzy was 10 something. They all looked amazing, but body fat that low will be pretty tough to maintain.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #48  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Holy cow cnikvu! Really that low for Matt? I'm a little surprised (but only because I saw one shot with his arms before weigh-in that just looked...kinda beefy). But....those sumo wrestlers carry some serious muscle mass themselves!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #49  

There are 'after' shots of both Matt and Seth w/out their shirts. Those 2 don't have any fat to spare on them!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #50  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever!
I'm kind of hoping that at some point Jillian talks about the sagging skin issue. Back when I was doing WW there was always tons of discussion among folks about that and I really wish that more of these fitness books would be upfront about what can be overcome with resistance work and what can't. I've got Jillian's book and I am SO tempted to skip the ultimate goal reward of something like "Hawaiian vacation" and instead go for "tummy tuck and chicken wing removal" LOL

I see you're pretty new, so you might not have had a chance to mosey around the rest of the 3FC forums...

regarding loose skin, check out this thread titled "Weight Loss and Skin FAQs" Meg - moderator extraordinare - who has lost and (more importantly) maintained a 120-pound weight loss, and is also a certified personal trainer - has written up a great post on the topic! Check it out...you won't be sorry

PS...BTW love your avatar...Yosemite is one of my fave spots - hubby and I were married in the Valley a little over 7 years ago!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #51  
Empress/Queen

Exclamation

Quote:
... Matt is displaying some incredibly classic (frankly, cliched) behavior for retired elite athletes. Many athletes at very competitive levels become quite lost when they leave their sport. They eat, they drink, and they just generally lose direction because their whole identity and sense of "self" is wrapped up in their identity as "a gymnast," an "ice skater," or um...."a wrestler." My little alarm bells kept going off when Matt manages to kick the alcohol, successfully overcomes his weight issue, but what is his whole reason for living now? Appears to be WRESTLING. And not just wrestling in an adult competitive league because it is something he enjoys doing, but he is wanting to return to elite competition EVEN AGAINST THE ADVICE OF DOCTORS. I'm just not convinced that he can see a future (or identity) for himself outside of wrestling. I think that of the three finalists (and all the contestants that showed last night--maybe even Kathryn), Matt is the most likely to regain weight in the future because unless he can "re-invent" himself with an identity and purpose in life other than wrestling (wrestling could be a component--like as a coach, or as a recreational opportunity, etc.), he is sort of setting himself up for some serious disappointments/failures. ...
IMO, this is a good analysis of not only Matt's situation, but a lot of people who have a strong identification with a career they've outgrown ...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #52  
Ilene the Bean

Great show last night, I cried too, I'm a cry baby though

Did anyone notice how hyper Suzie was? My gosh it made me think that maybe she had taken some ephedra or something with extra caffein so that she could lose the last few pounds... She had a difficult time keeping her arms from flailing around, I dunno maybe it was just me...

Caroline, the hostess, I really reallly disliked her hair. I do think they made it look big so that she could look smaller. She is in need of a makeover!

I saw an extremely quick glimpse of last year's contestant Gary in the audience, it was so quick as a matter of fact that I'm not even sure it was him, but pretty sure ...

I do worry about Matt's issues the most, NowOrNever that was a great analysis of his situation.... I would have bopped the guy in the bar who said : "Hey Matt are you the biggest loser or the biggest cry baby?" I would never talk to THAT macho SOB, ever again!!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:38 PM   #53  

Quote:
I'd like to weigh in on the therapy discussion too. So...personal disclaimer: I've worked at the Olympic Training Center and with a lot of elite athletes. Whether or not the contestants should receive therapy while at the ranch (my personal vote is that therapy should be AVAILABLE to them if they'd like it), I honestly think that Matt needs some counseling. Introspective about himself at the end? Well.....yeeeesss. But, Matt is displaying some incredibly classic (frankly, cliched) behavior for retired elite athletes. Many athletes at very competitive levels become quite lost when they leave their sport. They eat, they drink, and they just generally lose direction because their whole identity and sense of "self" is wrapped up in their identity as "a gymnast," an "ice skater," or um...."a wrestler." My little alarm bells kept going off when Matt manages to kick the alcohol, successfully overcomes his weight issue, but what is his whole reason for living now? Appears to be WRESTLING. And not just wrestling in an adult competitive league because it is something he enjoys doing, but he is wanting to return to elite competition EVEN AGAINST THE ADVICE OF DOCTORS. I'm just not convinced that he can see a future (or identity) for himself outside of wrestling. I think that of the three finalists (and all the contestants that showed last night--maybe even Kathryn), Matt is the most likely to regain weight in the future because unless he can "re-invent" himself with an identity and purpose in life other than wrestling (wrestling could be a component--like as a coach, or as a recreational opportunity, etc.), he is sort of setting himself up for some serious disappointments/failures. My soapbox.

Oh, and those friends of his. Boy, time for a new batch (even more than Suzy's--I felt that his "bar buddies" were actually mean spirited and that he realizes this and is trying to deal with the reality that these are maybe not good people to keep in his life).
I agree that therapy should be made available - I don't remember ever mentioning the word "required" anywhere in my posts. Nothing on the entire show is "required". They can eat whatever they want, they can choose to work out or not work out. Such as Nick, for instance.

I can't see how therapy sessions would be boring - every minute of the show someone is already crying about something in their life, past or present or future. It would be the same exact thing except followed with someone putting them on the right path to get over it. Heck, we even get glimpses of that now when Jillian or Bob have to pull someone aside and have a "talk" with them. That doesn't seem to drop B.L.'s ratings.

And of all the people that should have had therapy - I think my votes would go for Kathryn and Nick. Not so coincidentally, the people who failed to lose weight after they left the daily regimen and had no clue what they were going to do in the real world.

As for Matt's friends - I know what you mean. How mean they were to him, and it did not seem like it was in jest. It seemed like they wanted him to fail and become the bar fly loser again so they wouldn't feel so alone.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #54  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

SmartButt, I think you put your finger right on it about Matt's barfly buds--misery certainly loves company, doesn't it? They see one of their number escaping the big hole they've all dug for themselves (just because they're not shedding tears themselves doesn't make them a big boo-hoo club <snarky of me, I know, but that's how it sounded!> all on their own).

You know you raise another issue about the therapy SmartButt--I guess I would kinda hope that those sessions would be off-limits to the camera. Probably unrealistic given that with most reality shows we're lucky we don't actually see the toilet paper in use, but just about everything else that happens on a show. But....I would think that it would at least demonstrate GENUINE caring for the participants (since, I mean, who REALLY is makin' the money there?). Or at least, like, give them each a holiday gift card to their local health care network to get some help after the show. ::-):

Wouldn't it be fun if we could design our own reality show? Ah....something to think about on those insomniac nights.

I think my cats were wondering why the heck I was crying so much last night (even though the pile of used tissues provided some unintended entertainment for them). Why the HECK didn't I record that? (wondering if this counts as a middle-aged moment)
Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #55  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Oh yeah....I also saw Gary. Just another siting to confirm the glimpses others had. He did post on his personal website that he was going to be there too. Wouldn't it be cool to get a group of these BL's (both seasons) together to go on tour for an "inspirational" talk--sort of like the American Idol finalists tour? LOL
Old 12-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #56  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Gary and Dave were in the audience...I was thinking they might bring them up on stage...no dice.. Gary is still looking good!! Dave is still buff.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 AM   #57  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

I purchased the workout tape..lol.Will let you guys know how it is.I went onto ebay,and of course,eeryone had bought the buy it nows,and the other ones were getting up to $20.Why didnt they just save themselves some money and buy it direct?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #58  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Yes, I noticed how hyper Suzy was! Out of control - I guess a lot of it was excitement. It seemed to me like she hadn't gotten used to living in her tiny little body yet. Her boundaries seemed out of whack. I am sure nerves played a big part as well. If you haven't yet you should look at her pictures that are up at the BL website. They are great. I wish she had worn the outfit with the white top on TV, then she might have been more relaxed about her boobs falling out of her dress. Plus it looks very elegant.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser...os/index.shtml
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #59  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapplegirl69
I purchased the workout tape..lol.Will let you guys know how it is.I went onto ebay,and of course,eeryone had bought the buy it nows,and the other ones were getting up to $20.Why didnt they just save themselves some money and buy it direct?
Well...sometimes you just get carried away in the heat of an auction!

(seen it happen just recently when someone at my work bid $1800 on an item that was PRICED AS A BUY IT NOW for around $300...gotta wonder why she didn't just do the Buy It Now...and the seller didn't even cut her a break in shipping and handling charges!! )

Or maybe they didn't check Amazon for the list price...
Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #60  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

I, along with just about everyone else on this thread, absolutely loved (most aspects of) the show.

I always liked to work out during the show - it was my 'treadmill' time - now I have to find something else inspiring to watch! If only I had taped the season and then I could continue to watch it while I work out!

Emily