The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW
I would say that it is the other way around; the tendency to be fat fuels the emotional problems. I don't think it is too likely that a fat person will achieve some sort of catharsis in therapy and suddenly stop overeating.

Naturally fat people gain weight when stressed or depressed; naturally thin people do not. I tend towards depression myself, and I would say that being thinner and healthier helps relieve it, although it is not a panacea.

It doesn't take much knowledge to lose weight. Everyone knows how to, but most lack the dedication and discipline.
Also...who knows; they MIGHT have had some sort of therapy session but chose not to air it (given the limited time each week).

Actually I think being at the ranch and participating in the training WAS therapeutic. There is a 'therapy' in exercise - not just the endorphins you know. Like Robert says, being physically healthy goes a long way towards your mental outlook!

You could tell in the private videos that many of the contestants (of course Matt and Suzy in particular) were definitely going through a catharsis - looking inward as the weight dropped off. I think you would have to - going through such an experience! And even though they were on the ranch getting training etc it was up to EACH player to do the work. I think that was mentioned more than once by both trainers - they helped but it was up to each person to do the work required!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #17  

Default Oh My Gosh......

The show was FANTASTIC....

I agree everyone looked FAB (with the exception of Kathryn). About the comment she didn't seem to have ties to anyone. Well during the show, when she got eliminated, she said she didn't come there to make friends. I too give her props for showing up and having to stand with all those super FIT people..... I never cared for NICK so I didn't miss him at all....

I don't think they had any plastic surgery. If they did Caroline would not have stressed how they did it the old fashioned way, with ONLY diet and exercise. I noticed the same things Mrs. Jim mentioned, afew flabby arms, some skin around the smaller bellies.......But now, they can take care of any remaining unruley skin if they choose. (Which, let me add, I sure would).

I could have watched that show for days - it was sooooooooooo good.

The icing on the cake was that PETE won the cash. he was such a sweet person and from Michigan - O-RAH

Right now I'm recovering from surgery. That show made me want to RUN to the gym last night Today I go to the doctor and am hoping he gives me the okay to get back exercising (I want to look like Suzy.......lol)

Hugs.....
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambabs
I loved the show it was a great inspiration. Even dh was floored! Ruben was kind of getting on my nerves though. Every time you turned around he was standing up trying to get on camera.

Caroline's hair was just freaky! And who did her makeup?

Anyone wonder what Seth's wife was thinking about all the attention he was getting from Suzy?

I kind of felt bad for Kathryn. Yes she lost weight but she weighed the same as when she left the ranch and that had to hurt. But then again maybe it'll kick her into gear and get her to lose the rest of the weight.

Can't wait to see the January show.
You know I just thought that Ruben was happy to be there...and was excited to see old friends - the atmosphere was CHARGED. He reminds me of a puppy dog...you know the ones that jump up and lick your face and are SO happy. Also, Caroline asked him to stand up after he weighed as the 'biggest loser' for the 100k until Suzanne beat his number.

I actually thought Caroline looked pretty good. :blush: Jim would say "boobalicious"!

I would bet that Seth's wife wasn't the least bit jealous. Suzy doesnt strike me as the man-stealing type and Seth looked to have a very secure marriage and definitely loves his wife and baby boy to pieces!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 AM   #19  

I thought Caroline looked really nice and actually liked her 'big hair' better than any hairdoo she has had all season. Prior to last night I remember thinking they should have had a host in better shape. I think she even lost alittle weight for the finale...?

I thought Ruben was just cute and happy. As were most of them, posing, smiling and in generally very proud at how they looked. BUT come on, can you blame them?

Seth's wife was probably just happy for Seth, as well as Suzy. Afterall, it was their night to shine. Seth's wife looked like she was just totally amazed at how awesome her 'new' husband looked. (She was very attractive also)

Overall, they all made me happy, they made me cry and they made me realize that anything is possible with hard work and determination.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #20  

One more thing, does anyone have the Biggest Loser books? I think they mentioned two different books, one about the exercise and one with the diet, is that correct?
Where can we get those?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
One more thing, does anyone have the Biggest Loser books? I think they mentioned two different books, one about the exercise and one with the diet, is that correct?
Where can we get those?
as far as I know there is only one book (I browsed through it at the NBC store at Rockefeller Plaza when I was in NYC a couple weeks ago). But they did mention an exercise video featuring Bob and some of the BL contestants...looks pretty interesting if you're into video workouts (I'm not!).

I know Amazon has the book or you could check the NBC/Biggest Loser site.

(BTW I took copious notes last night...will post further on the deets of last night's show and my thoughts...FWIW of course!)
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #22  

Thanks Mrs. Jim - I will check that out......
Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

Here's the Amazon links for the book:

The Biggest Loser : The Weight Loss Program to Transform Your Body, Health, and Life---Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!

and the DVD (not yet released):

The Biggest Loser Workout, Vol. 1 (2005)

I note on the DVD page Amazon is offering a special deal on the book and DVD together - only 22.88 for both!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #24  
gotta lose it!

This show was wonderful. I usually work on Tuesday nights & I have never seen the show....until last night. WOW!! I thought it was wonderful & I could see a piece of myself in everyone up on that scale...how motivating! I will be watching again in Jan!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #25  

Default *sigh*

I would say that it is the other way around; the tendency to be fat fuels the emotional problems. I don't think it is too likely that a fat person will achieve some sort of catharsis in therapy and suddenly stop overeating.

Naturally fat people gain weight when stressed or depressed; naturally thin people do not. I tend towards depression myself, and I would say that being thinner and healthier helps relieve it, although it is not a panacea.

It doesn't take much knowledge to lose weight. Everyone knows how to, but most lack the dedication and discipline.

Dedication and discipline are things that aren't necessarily strongly inherent within each of us. I think that therapy sessions would help to bring those out in the contestants. Even after they lost a ton of weight and had already said how great they felt and looked - they were still breaking down in social situations, out of stress and awkwardness to their new surroundings.

No one said that therapy was ALL that was needed to lose weight. In fact the point was that it would be the maintenance that would require a greater emotional understanding of one's self.

It is very easy to point at overweight people and say "you know how to lose weight, so do it." If life were that simple, all of us would be size 6's. We all need support from those close to us, but we can't RELY on the people close to us. It is not their "job" to keep the weight off of us. A good therapist can equip someone with the inner strength needed to overcome the temptations and times of struggle.

It would definitely be nice to see a little bit of that going on, on B.L.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I thought it was great too. I just started watching a few weeks ago, but got very into it, very quickly. I thought it was interesting that the final 3 were so close, Suzy must have had to work very hard to keep up with those guys.

I just couldn't believe the transformation when they showed the interviews week to week. I know @ 48lbs people say that they can see it in my face, I still don't. With Suzy, you could definately see it!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #27  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Everyone looked fantastic. Seeing them let me know that I can do it too. I am so happy for them. Even with the sagging skin (and it didn't look bad at all), Seth's abs were rock hard. His wife must be all over him. I saw some sagging skin but they all looked great even with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartButt
Dedication and discipline are things that aren't necessarily strongly inherent within each of us. I think that therapy sessions would help to bring those out in the contestants. Even after they lost a ton of weight and had already said how great they felt and looked - they were still breaking down in social situations, out of stress and awkwardness to their new surroundings.
I can only speak for myself, but for me the biggest psychological component is my body image. I really think of myself as being much thinner than I am, which hurts my resolve to diet. While therapy might help address those sorts of things behavioral changes do a pretty effective job.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #29  

Okay- I got to see the end of the show at the sleep lab, and have watched the recording this morning...and actually have it running again as I type this. I am so impressed It is such an inspiration for what we ALL have the potential to do.

Now, just because I'm a numbers geek, I had to put everything in a chart & calculate a bunch of different things....all totaled (except whats his face), they lost a grand total of 1415 pounds- just under 3/4 TON- wow! Starting out weighing a total of 3679 pounds, their end total was 2265, with a 38.46% loss as a group. At the start, they weighed an average of 283 and now they weigh an average of 174; their average weight loss was a whopping 108.85 pounds.

I estimated that they spent 3 months at the ranch (11 people eliminated- 1 each week, plus if I remember correctly the first week was more like 10 days), plus the 5 months after the finalist left the ranch (Caroline mentioned it last night), means they have been dieting for 8 months or 34 weeks (added a couple extra weeks for those 5 week months). As a group, their total monthly weight loss was 176.88 pounds- they lost an equivalent of a person ; and monthly average was 13.61 pounds & their weekly average was 3.2 pounds- which actually isn't that high when you think about it over the entire time frame. Matt lost 19.63 pounds per month & 4.62 pounds per week; Seth 15.38 per month & 3.62 per week; Suzy 11.88 per month & 2.79 per week; Andrea 9.38 & 2.21, Dr Jeff 19.13 & 4.5, Shannon 13.5 & 3.18, Mark 20.63 & 4.85, Pete 23.13 & 5.44, Jen 11.38 & 2.68, Suzanne 10.88 & 2.56, Ryan 9.75 & 2.29, Kathryn 2.13 & 0.5, and Ruben 10.13 & 2.38. If you didn't include Kathryn, their average percentage lost would be 40.38%, total average lost of 116.5; with a monthly average of 14.56 pounds & weekly average of 3.43 pounds.

I was disappointed that they didn't touch on the body fat percentage- they made a pretty big deal in the first episode on how they did the dunk tank & took all their measurements along with weighing them. In reality, not all of them could afford to lose almost 50% of their starting weight, if you consider their heights & muscle mass. Taking Matt's 46.31% loss- Ruben would have needed to lose 47 more pounds & weight 149, Ryan would need 26 & weigh 121; Suzanne 19 more & weigh 123; Jen 32 more & weigh 143; Shannon 11 more & weigh 138, Dr Jeff 18 more & weigh 199; Andrea 26 more & weigh 118; & Suzy 10 more pounds & weigh 122. Without losing a lot of muscle mass, most of them couldn't do it. I know Suzanne's goal was to lose 100 pounds- honestly she did...but she also gained 13 pounds of muscle. I think the % lost was a pretty good way to compare them- better then only the number of pounds lost would be. But I think to be really fair they need to set a realistic goal for each contestant (weight, BMI, %body fat, etc) and base who wins on who is the closest percentage wise to their goal. For each week, they could use just the percentage of weight towards their goal to make it easier. It seems to me that would put everyone on a more even playing field then just pounds lost or % of starting weight lost.

Just my observations....

Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #30  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi. Matt was on the "Live with Regis and Kelly" show this morning and they interviewed him. Some of the key points he said was......

-IT took him 9 months to lose the weight, from the ranch and then when he went home, until the finale.
- Unfortunately he still see's a 'fat' person in the mirror and has to deal with that each day.
-All the food temptations were easy to block out while at the ranch, but the hard part is now that he's not at the ranch.
-He lost his job while taking the time off to be at the ranch. Apparently his company got bought out by a larger company and he lost his job.
-He also said that no one had any surgery. It wasn't allowed and that their jobs were to eat healthy and lose weight. That's it.

I'm so glad that Matt won. I would like to see another summary of all the contestants with their number of inches lost. Wouldn't that be great? I think the girls....Shannon, Andrea, ?? (blonde hair bride to be....??) and Suzy looked awesome!!!
Kathryn gave me the air of indifference. She wasn't excited, but rather just put up with being there on the show finale. HOnestly....she must have known she wouldn't have done well.... she couldn't have put the effort into it. Yes 16 lbs is 16 lbs lost....but she could have lost so much more!!! what a waste.