The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #121  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGirl
I mean come on I get to say Jillian put me on a "diet".
Make sure you say it with a snooty tone...

Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #122  

Hey there sugar butt - That is such a cute name... I might steal that handle :-)

I am sorry you are depressed. I hate when I am depressed. It so depressing. That said, exercise is a natural mood enhancer because it releases seratonin and endorphins. I know it isn't a cure all, but it can help depression in other ways as well. Just by taking the steps to take care of yourself and make yourself a priority you a putting a message out into the universe that you are ready for positive change.

I know this wasn't really your question, which I am gonna answer in just a sec... but, depression, painful and hard times etc. these times in our lives catalyze change. They can bring about growth and understanding in ways you never imagined... if you are open to it. I am not sure what your current situation is, but take a good look at your current circumstance and ask yourself if there is anything positive you can take out of it. What can you learn from where you are at right now and what steps do you need to change things. Is there something even better out there on the horizon - I promise you, there is.

Ok, sorry for the little pop psycology rant... no, being depressed won't slow down your metabolism. It can lower your appetite, which can actually make people lose weight, but not always. On the other hand, if you are emotionally eating out of stress / depression then you wouldn't be able to lose weight because you could be over eating.

Sugar Butt - I don't know your current situation, but hang in there. You have the power to change things whenver YOU choose. Even if a certain situation is out of your hands you can change the way you react to it and you can change the way it affects your life. You have the ability to lose weight as well.

Hope this answers your question at least a little. Stay strong SB - I am sending positive powerful vibes your way.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #123  

Hey Carmen,

Phatbutt is right! THAT IS WHY THE BOOK HAS THREE S's. That is also why diets NEVER work long term. You can't starve the weight off... you have to exercise it off for all the reasons you mentioned. It isn't possible to create enough of a calorie defecit to see significant weight loss without exercising. Now, you could starve yourself and drop your calories below 1200, but this would be the worst thing you could do to your body long term. If you took your calories too low your metabolism would slow because your body would think it was starving. Also, you lose a significant amount of muscle when you starve yourself and this would also hurt your metabolism and body composition in the long run.

So back to exercise... Carmen, if your AMR is around 2,000 I would try to take 2 lbs a week off. 1 lb from calorie reduction and 1 lb from exercise. So if you hit the gym 5 days a week and push yourself to 85% of your Max Heart rate you should burn about 3,500 cals from the training and from the afterburn affects of the training. Then if you take your daily average calorie intake to 1500 you should hit the two a week you are shooting for. Make sense? The way you are seeing the peeps on the show get those big numbers is through exercise NOT starvation. So I guess we'll be seeing you at the gym ;-)
Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #124  
My Motivator = Jillian!

Hey Jillian ...
Is it normal that on the first week of your program I didn't lose anything? I don't know if I'm screwing something up or what but I was super mad to say the least but everyone around me keeps telling me it's muscle and it weighs more and blah blah but I am going nuts over here! Like why didn't I lose even just one baby little pound?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #125  

Just another quick observation...Why is everyone sweating their buns off and wearing a sweatshirt?
I noticed this at the gym also. I sweat plenty just from hot flashes...should I too be wearing a sweatshirt?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #126  

Cool I've got it!

I noticed the sweatshirt thing on the TV show also. Thought it was a bit strange to see people working out so hard in jumpers.

Jillian FYI sweatshirt = jumper.

I also just got back from the shops and am now the proud owner of Jillian Michaels' Winning By Losing book. Yippee for me. Now I have to read it, yuck, I hate reading. You know they charge us 45 bucks down here for this book of knowlegde. Alot compared to US prices but not so much compared to the tens of thousands I've spent on exercise and diet things in my life time.

Hey MorticiaAdams I just took a look at your before and during photos and WOW you're looking awesome. Way to go!

Last edited by OzLoserToBe; 11-10-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #127  
Determined

Hey Jillian! (or anyone who could answer this question) - What brand of heart rate monitor do you recommend? I don't want to spend a ton but I want it to be accurate. Are the ones you wear just on your wrist accurate? Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #128  

Default The worlds smallest fat photo...

okay now it's so small you can't see anything... I am 150 in this photo... but it's really hard to tell. I am going to keep working on getting a better image up here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallJillian.jpg (4.5 KB, 1449 views)
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 AM   #129  

Default a little better

is this a little better??? NO MAKING FUN OF THE NOSE JOB PEOPLE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jillian _1.jpg (24.5 KB, 6178 views)
Old 11-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #130  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Wow, you really look different. No making fun here...If I could get a nose job, I would. That and subject myself to braces to rid myself of buck teeth.

I think you were pretty then and your are now, too. You're not only fit now, but look younger, too. It's cool how people look so much younger after losing...It's like all that weight was dragging their life and vitality down to the ground.

Last edited by Gardenwife; 11-10-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #131  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

WTG (way to go) Jillian!!
I would also like to confess that I laughed when you got dunked last night.
And thanks so much for the book, the show and your insightful posts. It really is a great motivation.
Hey - when they print the next edition of your book, can you put the page numbers of the exercise explanations on the workout plan? I wrote all over my book anyway - but I was doing a lot of flipping before I wrote the page numbers in.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 AM   #132  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzLoserToBe
I also just got back from the shops and am now the proud owner of Jillian Michaels' Winning By Losing book. Yippee for me. Now I have to read it, yuck, I hate reading. You know they charge us 45 bucks down here for this book of knowlegde. Alot compared to US prices but not so much compared to the tens of thousands I've spent on exercise and diet things in my life time.
I paid $65!!! Mind you - I was so impatient I had to get it the minute I heard about it and thank god for amazon! Of course, I had to get it express post too

Be glad for another aussie to be on board - pop over to the journal threads when you get started
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 AM   #133  

Talking Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oy Oy Oy

Hey Daisy,

Thanks for the invite to the journal page, I will certainly join you. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country or we could workout together, although that's not really my issue because unlike our master I LOVE to exercise but you wouldn't know it to look at me. I've currently read to page 37 (woohoo for me) so I won't be too long. And thanks for mentioning you paid $65 now I feel like I scored a bargain!!

Jillian,

Crap that doesn't even look like you. My post weight loss surgery would probably be a tummy tuck. That wasn't the photo they posted in TBL season one, was it? Going back into the memory banks I see you in a lounge room I think, could be wrong. Anyway if so it's nice to see you have a collection of fat photos. I have a tremendous collection.

Oh and I'm reading through the emotions section of the book and the part where you say to learn to love your supposed flaws, well Miss Jillian you will have to be a miracle worker to ever get me to love my stretch marks.

Last edited by OzLoserToBe; 11-10-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #134  

Hi Jillian,

I want to say that you were beautiful then and are beautiful now. I think its totally awesome that you take time out of your schedule to write here. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #135  

To jillian...... Sugarbutt is what my hubby calls me as my "petname" hehe i love it... u can steal it i dont mind... i am emotional eating.... i have been lately trying to instead of running for food getting a glass of ice water instead.. its helping i have already dropped 1.5 pounds.... its hard to and sometimes i just need to eat.... i also been trying to eat a banana or an apple.... the reason behind me being so depressed and stressed out will be fixed soon... thanks goodness... we are moving from where we are now to michigan this month hopefully things will start getting better thanks ms jillian