The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM   #46  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipafart
You guys have got to read winning by losing Jillian does indeed rock
Old 10-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #47  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel-eyes
okay.....I know we are all thinking this.....

huh?

LOL

Huh what?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #48  

Jillian, Is your book Winning by losing helpful to men? Or geared mainly for women.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #49  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Jillian. Question for you.....

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and find it extremely difficult to do any type of plank or pushup. Is there another excercise that I can do? Currently I am trying a very modified one .......where I balance with my legs extended on a ball while lowered on my forearms and curl my legs in under my hips. I don't think I'm actually working the same muscle groups but I thought its better than nothing.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #50  

Jillian,

I am an ER nurse. I work 2 days a week 1 day is 1700-0530, and the other day is 1500-0330. Since I'm not sure what time a can take dinner I usually end up snacking most of the shift. Do you have a recommendation on how to split up my cals? When I get home from the 0530 shift I stay up to take my son to school. I'm usually in bed by 900. On the 0330 days I'm in bed by 0430 but up at 0700 to take my son to school and back in bed by 0900.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #51  
Pending Email Confirmation

(I will never complain about my schedule again)

I think that this is so great. I am also a little worried that the exercise will kill me the first day and I'll never want to do it again. Any thoughts on how to stay motivated to keep going? Obviously there is the incentive of feeling and looking better and living longer - but sometimes I need something a little more day to day - because all those things happen in the future, you know?

I haven't finished reading the book and am looking forward to starting the exercises and journal as well as the program... am just feeling a little apprehensive, like the gals above.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #52  

HI Jillian,
I wanted to ask you if there is any connection to being a specific body shape and being a fast,balanced or slow oxidizer. I am almost positive that I am a fast oxidizer and I am definately a pear shape. I was just wondering if this was a coincidence or not.

PS. The book is great and investing in a heart rate monitor was the best thing I could have done for my new gym routine thanks again!!!

PSS. Pete made me cry this week he and his wife were so cute!!

Last edited by laxchic22; 10-30-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #53  
banned

hi jillian!
i too think you rock and just wondered if you have any tips for someone who has Cerebral Palsy?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #54  

Hello!

I need some advice on the 'management' of certain foods that I would avoid if I was perfect.

Jillian, I'm waiting for your book to arrive *impatiently* but, can anyone tell me if this issue is addressed? I know that my focus needs to be on healthy eating and intense training (all good so far) but I'm not sure what to do about naughty foods. I would like to know how someone like Jillian.. fit and lean.. approaches this. I know that some programs have a 'free day' but this doesn't work for me. So.. what do people do?
Is it best just to harden up and forget about chocolate ganache? or..
have a system... one meal a week, only on special occassions or what? I'd just like to know what is working for people.
I'm in the process of losing those last 15lbs that keep recurring.

Question for Jillian. You say that you maintain on 1600 cals a day, exercising 4 days a week. I think my maintenance will be about the same (unfortunately..). Do you eat less on your rest days and more on training days? Do you still monitor your calories or is it pretty much hardwired into your brain now and you don't need to give it so much conscious thought?
The reason I ask is because I have repeatedly met my goal weight and failed to maintain it, even with exercise. The problem is nutrition. It's really frustrating. It takes a lot of work to get there and then .. what? I need to organise my brain now so that when I get there again I know how to proceed. I want to know what successful maintainers do!

I'm really looking forward to the book arriving, I've heard soooo many people raving about it, including my man.. he was appreciating the cover art greatly.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #55  
banned

im just moving this up so jillian has easy access when she gets here
Old 11-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #56  

Thumbs up Was compelled to register.

*wiping the tears from my eyes*
Jillian you're an angel. Thankyou so much.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #57  
banned

Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #58  

Thumbs up Hellow again!

Hello again my lovelies,

Just checking in on my girls! Gonna jump right in and start answering! See below.

kisses and hugs to all of you!

J
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #59  

Hi there Petra,

How the heck are ya momma? I am sorta gonna cheat on my answer to your body fat question. Check out this link http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...ercentage.html

this link will show you what is considered, normal, athletic, abnormal etc. with regard to body fat percentage.

Still, to answer your question about health and body fat: For the body to function normally and healthily a certain amount of body fat is required. This is called essential fat. For women the average amount of essential fat is 12% of bodyweight and for men it is 3%.

Trying to achieve a body fat percentage that is so low it affects your essential fat stores is NOT good for your health.

Does this help at all?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #60  

Rocker - I am not forgetting about you... I am gonna study your diet tonight when I get back from my dinner and see if we can't get start melting some fat off you asap! By the way, since your last post... has there been any change?