The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #301  

Ok, so far the biggest problem I am having with this eating plan is eating enough calories. I am not typically a big eater....well...lets be honest, I usually only have one meal a day so I have been trying to make myself eat enough calories. I started having diet yogurt for breakfast, but it is only 32 calories. What I am finding is that come 6 o'clock at night, I have only had 234 calories....but then I am hesitant to eat anything that is 900 calories in one sitting. That is probably my hardest personal challenge of this whole thing.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #302  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

What size serving is 32 calories? The nonfat sugar free yogurt I get is 227 grams (8oz)....it has 120 calories....maybe you should eat more servings at a time....either that or there is something funky with how you are figuring out the calories?

Sorry...this not making myself eat enough is a problem I have never had...
Quite the contrary....but you've got to eat - especially if you are exercising...your body needs fuel to build muscle.

If you need to add some calories - easy ones are peanut butter....avocados...good fat - you don't have to eat a lot to bulk up your day. Natural peanut butter (just ground peanuts - not Skippy, too many weird things in there) is like 100 cals a tablespoon (15 g).

Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #303  

Hi everyone...

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with doing a body combat class tomorrow even though Jillian has designated it as a rest day?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #304  

Default jillian's website updated

Hey everyone

just letting you know that Jillian's website has been updated. there is a small amount of new info and they are starting the online workouts soon. i haven't been able to find out pricing as yet as I keep getting an error message.

does anyone think they will be signing up?

sammy

Kiarii

I'm certainly no expert but I think the idea of the rest day is to ensure you don't burn out and that you also give your body a break.

I don't know what would happen if you don't take rest days, but if its something you look forward to, then go for it. Just take care of your body too.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #305  

I have been trying to sign up for a while...but the link isn't working..I can get to page three, and then when it comes time for me to register the link doesn't work! Anyone else having the same problem?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #306  

I checked with the instructor of my bodycombat class, and explained to her that I am following an exercise program and that today was ment to be a rest day, but would it be ok if I still did the class. She told me that as long as I have Sunday off completely then it should be ok, and as long as I didn't do any resistance training before or after my class. I hate to be going against what Jillian says, but I really enjoy my gym time.
I must say though...2 years of previous kickboxing experience did nothing to prepare me for today. For a start my kickboxing sessions were only 30 minutes long, including cool down, and I was stationary whilst being taught moves etc...or while watching demos...NOT TODAY MY GOOD FRIEND. I was bouncing the whole time...I felt like my feet were going to fall off...and my heart was going to fall our of my throat...but I felt so good!! It was amazing, tiring, exhausting and exhilarating all at once. There was a lot of punching and kicking, but I guess because we weren't connecting with anything it was just cardio! *shrugs shoulders* I don't know! Anyways, all I know is I am starting to love it...not sure how well I am going on the food thing though, I have kept my diary up to date, but it always seems to end up 400 calories short of what I need to be eating. The problem is I am just not hungry enough to eat any more during the day.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #307  

This may be a stupid question but is it normal for women to put on weight when they have their periods?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #308  

Thumbs up

I saw two of Jillian's new dvd's at Target this weekend. Has anyone tried her workout? Is it difficult? I am 232 lbs and I want to know if I would be able to do it or it would be too difficult at my weight...From watching her on the show she seems like a drill sargeant bill, I love her to death?

Also, is it true when the show returns she will not be on it? Why????

chiarij
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #309  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiarii
This may be a stupid question but is it normal for women to put on weight when they have their periods?
There is no such thing as a stupid question... YES, some or most women gain from 3-7 pounds before and during their periods every month...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #310  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Jillians DVD's are great!!!...I have all three of them. She does her 'drill sargeant' routine on the dvd's but she does have some one do a modified version of the excercise. The main thing that she stresses is to do them in proper form and to get your heart rate up. I would highly reccommend them. I bought a 2 dvd pack called shapeup, (front and back) and inside was a coupon for the kickboxing dvd FREE!!! not bad eh? good luck!!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #311  

Ok, everyone keeps telling me that I am going to gain weight before I lose weight, that I will look bigger then look smaller...why are they saying this and is this true?
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #312  
Ilene the Bean

Kiarii -- In what way are they telling you this, and where are they founding this information? It's not rocket science if you eat less and move more you WILL lose weight .... you MAY gain a bit because of water retention in your muscles the first couple of weeks but chances are you are not if you are drinking a lot of water and eating a low calorie low fat heathy diet... I NEVER saw any of the contestants gain weight the first weeks on the Biggest Loser Show... I think you are being misinformed....
Old 05-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #313  

Ilene. I'm wondering why you are eating only one meal a day. Do you know that if you don't eat et like every 4 hours or so (depends on the person) you might slow your metabolism and sabotage all your weight loss effort. And you could be gaining weight instead of loosing weight. I would never do that. If you eat only a few number of calories at that meal, it can be dangerous for your health and even if you ate like the right number of calories you need daily at that meal, it would do no good for you. Your body will store all your calories into glycogen and fat for energy to be used later because you don't need that much calories at one particular meal. I strongly suggest you to eat three meals a day with some collations in between. The key to weight loss is not eating one meal a day but balancing your calories(calories in versus calories out).
Old 05-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #314  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

cool90 - I'm sure Ilene will answer for herself - but I've seen her posts over a rather long time frame. Never have I seen her advocate any unhealthy behaviour like eating only once a day. In fact - her posts usually agree with pretty much everything you state above. That's what I come to this site for - postive support from experts of all kinds. There are a few here who need to read your post, though. 'Cept for the part about Ilene - well said!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #315  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool90
Ilene. I'm wondering why you are eating only one meal a day. Do you know that if you don't eat et like every 4 hours or so (depends on the person) you might slow your metabolism and sabotage all your weight loss effort. And you could be gaining weight instead of loosing weight. I would never do that. If you eat only a few number of calories at that meal, it can be dangerous for your health and even if you ate like the right number of calories you need daily at that meal, it would do no good for you. Your body will store all your calories into glycogen and fat for energy to be used later because you don't need that much calories at one particular meal. I strongly suggest you to eat three meals a day with some collations in between. The key to weight loss is not eating one meal a day but balancing your calories(calories in versus calories out).
Pardon ?? Where did you get the idea that *I* only eat ONE meal /day ... Maybe if you read my fitday where I had forgotten to eat or add the rest of my day, you saw only one meal. Like chick_in_the_hat said I am a very strong advocate of 5-6 mini meals/day ... NEVER only ONE meal, I'd DIE ....