The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #151  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzLoserToBe
I've made it to the short list of 200 for the Oz BL, that's kinda scary..

sidewalk = footpath
cantelope = rock melon
bangs = fringe
jello = jelly
jelly = jam
soda/pop = soft drink

You will be tested!!
no way! i thought about it, but guess i am a little scared about going on tv.

great job!

got to add a couple too

cilantro = coriander
duvet/comforter = doona
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #152  

You're sneaky Jen, keeping an eye on me on the other board thankyou.

Hey Daisy.. at first I was so excited, now I'm freaking out. Still a long way to go though. Nice additions to the list of translations BTW.

Last edited by OzLoserToBe; 11-15-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #153  
fat fighter

oh, got another one

cell phone = mobile!

its funny looking at these differences
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #154  

commercials = ads
thong = g-string
rubber = condom
eraser = rubber

Have we gone too far off topic??
Old 11-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #155  
fat fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzLoserToBe
rubber = condom
eraser = rubber
LOL - can you imagine the predicament?

at least jillian will be up with the lingo
Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #156  

I know all too well about the predicament. I was an exchange student and did a year of high school in the states. One day I very vocally asked for a rubber in class, when EVERYONE stopped and looked at me, I'm like What!!??
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #157  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the translations girls!

Oz, good luck with Oz BL, how cool would that be? :banana:
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #158  

Question New and confused!

Quick introduction

I'm Cath, 22 years old and live in Sydney, Australia *waves*

I bought the book last week (Yes, $65 Amazon International Courier lol) and and quite confused regarding what to eat.

I'm a balanced oxidiser and worked out my calorie intake to be approx 1,350.

I've already made a weekly plan, which varies my calorie intake each day - so that's under control!

However, after looking at it with the "40% Carbs, 30% Protein & %30 Fat" theory; it's just not working

Even on my 2000 calorie day, the percentage is 22% Protein, 62% Carbs and 10% Fat - which obviously isn't right.

I'm a partial vegeterian, which means I only eat chicken and seafood. I guess I can throw in a couple of egg whites to up my protein, but that's still not lowering the carbs.

I'm eating Soy&Linseed bread and I don't eat rice, white bread or any other bad carbs.

Most of the carbs are actually from vegetables; apparently carrots are 86% Carbs, so that's why my averages are looking so high. Or maybe I'm calculating them wrong? I should try it using FitDay.com ...

--------------
EDIT:

Okay, Fitday.com says it worked out to be

Total: 1082
Fat: 19 173 17%
Sat: 4 33 3%
Poly: 5 44 4%
Mono: 8 74 7%
Carbs: 167 575 56%
Fiber: 23 0 0%
Protein: 71 285 28%

gahhhhh
-----------

As for my dietary needs, I thought I should be eating 1 serve Protein, 2 serves Dairy, 3 serves Fruit, 4 serves Vegetables and around 4 serves of Carbs. Is that right?

I'm just confused to whether I should concentrate on making sure I eat the right number of CALORIES per day; or make sure I maintain the right PERCENTAGES?

Hope everyone's doing well & a HUGE thank you to Jillian for being the incredible person that she is!

<3 Cath

Last edited by cathcath; 11-16-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #159  
Puggy Balboa

Maybe someone could condense the questions for Jillian and put them all in one post. I looked through the last few pages and I didn't even have time to read it. I can't imagine what it would be like for her. Just trying to help by stating the obvious!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #160  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

More Oz/UK lingo:

pudding = dessert
sweet = dessert
car par = parking lot
washing up liquid = dish soap/dishwashing liquid
telly = television

My boyfriend is English, so I'm sure I'll think of more!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #161  

Default I am waiting for my book

I just ordered my book. I did not watch the biggest loser until last night. I really was impressed with how you treated the doctor who was voted off. I loved how compassionate and sincere you were.

Then I searched amazon for your book. I still wasn't too sure I wanted to buy it because I seem to be collecting diet and fitness books. The I came here to see if anyone reviewed your book and couldn't believe that you were posting here. That sold me.

If you were only trying to promote your book you sure wouldn't need to come here and answer our questions.

I hope this works. I have been failing at everything I have tried--even with a collection of books to support me!!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #162  

Hi BL fans, and Jillian too, of course!

I have not purchased the book yet, I will have to look it up on Amazon, but I have a question. Is the one hour of exercise all cardio, or does that include the time you spend on strength and resistance training?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #163  

I forgot to ask my questions:

1) I have some firm dvd's that I use to do regularily and I am trying to commit to again. Do you have an opinion on them?? I see that you have dvd's and I have previewed them at collage video and the look really good. They might be too advanced for my fitness level.

2) Can I combine your science information with weight watchers?? I belong to weight watchers--I am the world's worse dieter! I was losing 2 pounds each week, give or take a couple of tenth of a pound, for 7 weeks. I was thrilled because the experts say it takes 6 weeks to make a habit. But for the next 5 weeks I haven't journaled, ate right, or exercised consistently.

I am afraid to go to my next meeting.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #164  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Hey Jude - The one hour is combined cardio and resistance training...RT 4 days a week - most of the time I do around 35-40 minutes RT and round out the hour with cardio. One day a week is just cardio. Go get the book! It's really great! you can also look at the BL exercise thread (here) there are a bunch of us journalling how it's going for each of us.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Cathcath-quite a while I ago I had actually made this suggestion but it might be something useful for you. The 40/30/30 diet plan actually turns out to be the exact diet recommended in The Zone. Another popular diet plan. That book is some really intense science to read (the author is a genius in my opinion who has not gotten the credit he deserves for his contributions to nutrition, but I digress). The diet breaks food up into "food blocks" and you eat a certain number of blocks per meal depending on your caloric needs. I suppose it is sort of like learning points at weight watchers but it would take some getting used to. I find it pretty confusing and I'm actually pretty bright. Anyway, the easiest thing to do, is probably to get a little paperback that costs about $8.00 in the US called "What to Eat in the Zone" . It has already figured out how much is a "block" of a whole bunch of different foods and then you can figure out how to mix and match them to get the correct number of blocks to meet your needs. The other good news is that there are a ton of Zone books out there, and I think we even have nutrition bars that are Zone compatable. That's my $0.02.