The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #16  
Opulent

^^How *do* you break a plateau according to her? Please, share!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #17  
prepare for the BEST time

Next week's show is 90 mins...so they will be doing lots of extra shots.....

I love the split screens too, Just LOOK at the difference especially in the women's abdominal area. I thought Andrea showed the most improvement this week. (although I chuckled when I saw her tweezing her brows briefly).

Jen has 2 young kids and is in medical school. Depending on what year she's in, it takes an incredible amount of energy to participate in your family and study, especially if she is a 3rd or 4th year student.....once you get into a clinical setting, you are putting in a minimum of 50-60 hours plus study time....to lose weight on top of all this is a monumental accomplishment!

I don't understand the Blue team mentality of not associating with the red team...it seems rather childish and this type of issue didn't emerge last season, the contestants were friendly with each other to a point as real people.

I hate to speak against my own sex, but the women this year are way too petty and whiney....I liked Jen's attitude, she was not emotional. Suzy is now irritating me, she complains CONSTANTLY...get over it honey.....This week, Andrea was my favorite and I think Suzy should have been booted off just for complaining.

OK, who has the heart attack? I don't think it's a contestant, but one of their family members????

doncha just love speculation?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'll post my thoughts and then go back and read y'alls.

I'm impressed that no one ate the cake. It shows that they are truly learning this time that a moment on the lips isn't worth it anymore. Not even for a $2300 prize. You can tell this season that all (or almost all) of the contestants are in it more for the chance of losing weight and less for the money. On the stair challenge, I just knew they would've picked Shannon and Dr. Jeff to do it since they both would've struggled with it but instead they picked the more athletic of the group. Kudos all around.

I do like how they are showing more of the eats and letting us get a more realistic idea of just how much they are working out and especially with Jillian telling Mark he needed to compensate by eating more. At the weigh in, I still can't believe the big #s the men are pulling. You could tell that Mark was dissapointed but I've learned that the harder you try the less willing your body is to give up the poundage. Poor Matt. My heart just went out to him. Last year it seemed like they had more of them that had zero weeks and this is just the 2nd time. I really thought Jen would've went over to encourage him since she had experienced a 0 week.
I also like how Andrea said in the real world 2 pounds would be great but when it's this game and everyone's having big numbers... It does help to put it into perspective that this is a game.

As for voting off Jen, I can see their point. She hasn't really been a team player and when you are playing a team game, you have to get along until it becomes an individual game. I have to wonder though if they would've still voted her off knowing they wouldn't be teams anymore.

Afterward, I like how Jillian addressed Matt's latenight eating and that he didn't deny doing it and was upfront about it. Many times when you get up in the middle of the night to eat it's so no one else will know about it and you try to hide it.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #19  
Work in Progress

Lizziness...I don't think that Matt will get voted off, his history is that of being an athlete, I think that is where his desire to excel comes from, he more than anyone understands how a team needs to work together, and he is the one that keeps the Red Team (and even the girls that didn't have Bob during Vegas) motivated and working out.....if he goes I think that the red team will fall apart...he is one of the strongest competitors because he knows how to compete....

I do agree, this is the only place that you can lose 5 pounds in a week and not feel like it was enough...but I do envy having nothing to do but focus on yourself...I think that is the most valuable part of the show...once we get a taste of how good that feels, it is more motivating to make the time.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #20  

I also wanted to add at this point I would be happy with whoever wins it. I don't really dislike any of the contestants like last year. They all now seem focused and ready to lose weight healthily.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #21  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Bailey

I do agree, this is the only place that you can lose 5 pounds in a week and not feel like it was enough...but I do envy having nothing to do but focus on yourself...I think that is the most valuable part of the show...once we get a taste of how good that feels, it is more motivating to make the time.
I agree, 100%! It sure would be nice to have nothing to focus on but my own fitness and weightloss! How long is the period of time that they work on it, from start to finish? I have only ever seen 2 episodes, yesterday's and the week before last, so I don't know much about it.

My daughter watched it with me last night and said "You should go on this show, Mommy! You'd win for sure!" and it made me feel great that she believes in me so much.

She asked me what my shirt would say if I went on and I said "To be a better example to my daughter" (I guess that's like the one that says "To be a Role model") and my daughter said "You already are a good example" My eyes got wet with that comment
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #22  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Yogini-

I did post the quote to your question about how to break a plateau but it has disappeared. Did I break a rule? Anyway if you go over to the Jillian Michaels book thread and look for Mrs. Jim's post with the link to the Washington Post interview you can pull it up and read it.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

Sorry - I had to go to a meeting. Due to copyright issues, I had to delete the post that Ledom originally quoted but did not have a chance to respond.

Here's the link to the Washington Post chat.

I'm assuming your browser is IE, so what you should do is go to Edit => Find(On this Page)...and try the following keywords: "Plateau" and "Rockville, Md". Jillian refers to plateaus several times but the response to Rockville, Md. is the most comprehensive one IMO.

(Incidentally...I tend to agree that in 'real life' most of the time the reason for a 'plateau' is probably #3 - folks stop tracking their calories and just 'assume' they're eating clean. One thing I really like about Jillian's POV is the fact that she is in agreement with the consensus in Maintainers that it's absolutely essential to count calories in order to lose weight!)
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #24  
Empress/Queen

I also thought it was great that no one ate the cake!

It actually kind of stopped me this morning when I wanted to stop for a donut after the gym and then remembered I'd given up sugar again and MEAN it this time ... it's sort of instructive to have a mental picture of people exerting willpower (or won'tpower). That's why I watch this show.

It was also interesting to see the behavior of one of them (Matt?) getting up early and having big breakfasts all by his lonesome and Jillian noting on camera that he was adding back in all the cals he burned with his extra workouts. A good point to remember ... all these little habits add up ...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #25  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Amarantha - yes exactly on the visual power of this show. On willpower and also in looking at the bodies. It is helpful for me to see what a certain weight looks like. Even if you don't really feel you suffer from distorted body image - which I don't think I do, I know I am fat - to see what a certain weight looks like is eye opening. That is one unique thing about the show. People, at least overweight people, don't go around saying how much they weigh. I have gone back to the NBCBiggest Loser website to find out how tall these folks are so I can make a comparison to my own size. As I said, eyeopening!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #26  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Okay, my observations/questions:

1. Why was Mark whispering to Jillian? And why was he wearing a notepad around his neck? He must have had laryngitis--must be from all that trash talk!

2. Do you think the Matt eating in the middle of the night was a staged thing? I don't think they run cams in the kitchen all night, do you?

3. I'm extremely happy that my pick to win (Dr. Jeff) is doing great! I was so proud of him getting to the top of the mountain!

4. I am impressed with the solidarity of the red team. When all the guys gathered around matt to shield him from being seen while he cried, that was touching.

5. Boy, they know how to extract drama, don't they? "heart attack" mixed with video of everyone but a few key players....Is it Mark or Seth?? Tune in next week.....
Old 10-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #27  
Puggy Balboa

My husband gets so sick of the crying. He cannot understand why there is crying every week, especially from the men. He's like, "What's wrong with all these men? They're wimps!"

Of course, my husband is 5'10", 145 pounds, and never had a weight problem. I told him he just doesn't understand.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #28  

I don't think it's going to be a man next week because in Jillian's interview she said no one on her team was ever seriously hurt and I would classify a heart attack as serious. I'm wondering though it if wasn't a family member of one of the contestants.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #29  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4TheWayOut
My husband gets so sick of the crying. He cannot understand why there is crying every week, especially from the men. He's like, "What's wrong with all these men? They're wimps!"
My fiance is the same way. He likes the show but when someone starts crying he rolls his eyes and sucks his teeth. He just doesn't get it...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

In the Washington Post chat (linked above) at the very end Jillian mentions a family version of the BL. Does anyone know anything about that?