The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #46  
Determined

Mrs. T - I weigh myself with no clothes, first thing Saturday morning. My doctor always subtracts 5 pounds for clothes/water weight. That's why I love her.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #47  
Determined

Yogini - I'm only past the first chapter thanks to some crazy overtime this week. I'll get more into it when I get home tonight and let you know for sure if it could be modified. I'm pretty sure it could since it's just a normal, sound eating plan. Good luck, and I'll try to post back tonight with a more definitive answer.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #48  

Height: 5'8

Default Thank you Jillian

I just wanted to say thank you, Jillian, for your candid reply to my question

I just ordered your book, and am very excited to learn more about your plan. Specifically, I am interested in the excercise portion, because, in my opinion, that's where the other's have failed- there are SO many "diet" books out there, but so few that have any exercise plans.

So, thanks again!

Denise
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #49  
Puggy Balboa

Second workout from Jillian's 12-week program is complete. I am sore from head to toe. I had to scoot off the bed in the most outrageous and rather obscene way this morning. Even getting into my truck, I look at it and think, "For crying out loud, bend down a little, would ya?"

It is such a thorough workout. Even if I clear my throat, my abs hurt from the morning's workout.

Jillian, thank you again. I love the book. I don't normally buy diet books and this certainly isn't one at all. The first section devoted to self is exactly why. It's what I needed. I just wonder if I'll always be this sore. Will I ever be ever to sit in a chair without looking like I dropped out from the sky? Haha.

Mrs. T, I weigh-in naked, but lately it's been with workout clothes on. Today I hopped on, but it was late in the morning. It still showed a one pound loss though. Can't wait to see how much initial water comes off!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4TheWayOut
I had to scoot off the bed in the most outrageous and rather obscene way this morning. Even getting into my truck, I look at it and think, "For crying out loud, bend down a little, would ya?"
OMG!! Your funny!

Hmm...Seems like you are liking the book. Based on the fact that Jillian has taken the time to occassionally check in here shows how much thought went into the plan and that she really cares about us. Thanks alot! I think I will have to check it out.

Mrs. T- I also weigh in naked and first thing in the morning . Mostly because naked is the easiest thing to consistantly wear. I weigh in every day, but take an average over the last 7 as my weight. That way fluctuations for water weight don't freak me out.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #51  

Hey ladies, I have a question:

Does the book recommend circuit training workouts in addition to cardio workouts? I live high up in my building and can't do any jumping or running or anything like that. But I do have a cross-trainer and weights. So I wanted to know if Jillian recommends doing either cardio or circuit training, or both .

TIA!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #52  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missqt
Hey ladies, I have a question:

Does the book recommend circuit training workouts in addition to cardio workouts? I live high up in my building and can't do any jumping or running or anything like that. But I do have a cross-trainer and weights. So I wanted to know if Jillian recommends doing either cardio or circuit training, or both .

TIA!
Check my posts earlier in this thread - there's a link to a chat on the Washington Post website that might answer your question... I haven't read the book myself as yet
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #53  
Puggy Balboa

Skinnyjeans, thank you very much! It's all true though. Even getting onto the toilet. It really does look like someone is just dropping me from the sky because my quads just aren't functioning. Poor toilet! LOL

Missqt, I have the book and have read and re-read it. Jillian thinks an hour minimum is a good base for any exercise so if you finish circuit training within 30 - 40 minutes, you have 20 minutes of cardio to do. She says the circuit training should be done first.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #54  

Well ladies, I got 50 min of cardio done today before my daughter 'needed' me. My calories were awesome today and now we're going swimming! Today was a good day. How is everyone else doing today? Emma I know you're SO sore, was it just the exercise, I mean, were the weights heavier than you should have used? I hope you feel better in the morning!!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

Looking4TheWayOut -- I LOVE being sore, if I'm not sore I haven't had a good workout!! I just may have to breakdown and buy the book to get the soreness from these workouts
Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #56  
Pending Email Confirmation

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon today too. Read the intro and plan on reading at least the first section today. Can't wait to join you all.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #57  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

ooooohhhhhhh i want my book now i feel so left out

my book is estimated to get here on Monday so its not too far away i suppose.

on the plus side, i went indoor rock climbing yesterday. Never thought i would be able to do it, considering my weight and the fact that your weight is your resistance, but I did quite well feeling it a little in my upper back and tri's though - feel the burn baby!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #58  
Determined

Daisy Boo - Fun!! Where did you go indoor rock climbing? I've always thought it would be a fun sport but I have a kind of wimpy fear of heights. For some reason it feels safer inside.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #59  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy
Daisy Boo - Fun!! Where did you go indoor rock climbing? I've always thought it would be a fun sport but I have a kind of wimpy fear of heights. For some reason it feels safer inside.
There's one of those indoor rock climbing places down the road a ways from my place:

http://www.planetgranite.com/

The building Planet Granite is in used to be a cinema so it has REALLY high walls inside I'm not of the rock-climbing persuasion myself, but my 9 YO nephew has gone to a couple of birthday parties where they go climb for a couple hours, then venture down the block to Round Table Pizza which has a special 'party room'.

Also have noticed the climbing walls showing up at street fairs and so on...my nephew LOVES to climb and it's great to see kids physically challenging themselves and enjoying the experience immensely he's dying to go rock climbing in Yosemite now!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #60  

Thanks for the replies. Whew! An hour of cardio will be hard. But if that's what it takes. . .I've been working out over the past several weeks (a paltry 15-25 minutes a few times a week). I guess I need to amp it up.