The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Dr. Dansinger quoted in October 2005 "O" Magazine

The latest issue of O Magazine (The Oprah Magazine) contains an article on "Why Weight Watchers Still Works". Even if you're not on WW, it's still worth reading.

Anyway, tucked away on page 218 is a quote from Dr. Michael Dansinger (the show's M.D.). He didn't mention the show, but does give his opinion (based on the findings of a study, which he coauthored, that appeared in the January 2005 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)) of initial dramatic weight loss, in which he states "More extreme diets - and more extreme results - are exactly the kind of thing certain people need to begin a long-term change".

He does have an excellent point - when you're obese or morbidly obese, it can be VERY motivating to have the reward of a big weight loss - as long as the person keeps in mind that, for the vast majority, a big scale loss on the first week of a diet (as long as one stays ON the regimen of course) is par for the course. Of course most of us are aware that a lot of that loss is water weight...but it's still a nice reward!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

This past weekend my Mom stopped over to see some renovations I'm having done on my house.....I was walking away from her towards the kitchen.....and she says those magic words....."You've lost weight!"....yes, it's my mother, but I recalled that moment several times during the day and it DID give me a lift and then when i zipped a pair of jeans up, THEY WERE LOOSER....(so my Mom wasn't just trying to make me feel better, she was telling me the TRUTH)....I got out my tapemeasure and it proved it!

Maybe this week I will face the {{{{SCALE}}}}} and see what's up so I can change my ticker.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #3  
Empress/Queen

IMO, the doctor makes a good point. I think there's a lot of merit in the big drastic, dramatic result that "Biggest Loser" is creating. Weight loss for many of us IS a big issue, it deserves focus, recognition and an all-out (but healthy) effort. At the weight of some of the contestants, this is a project that could well save their lives, at any rate, life IS just better when lived in a less heavy body. It's really a big thing they are doing and I applaud 'em for it, even if they did have to be motivated by $250,000 and exposure on national TV.

Wish I'd thought of that.

Marble, congrats on your Mom Victory. That's just great! Do face the Demon Scale, if ya don't like what ya see, ignore it!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I hope I didn't sound too "off topic" and self-centered about that (hind-sight).....but a dramatic loss gives me that "light at the end of the tunnel" feeling..... I'll take whatever ounces I can get off.

However, for me 3 lbs. would send me right to Nirvana....because i could never keep the pace up as they do on this show, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see how the doctors develop the individualized program for each person....talk about having a "personal physician"

It's interesting that they included a doctor and a medical student in this group.. What year of medical school is Jen in?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

You didn't sound OT or self-centered to me, Marble!

I couldn't keep up the pace on this show either! They'd throw me off the first week.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #6  

Cool

The doctor is absolutely right. I have a lot of weight to lose and wasn't doing very well on my own. In desparation, I began a medically supervised fast in August. The first week I lost 12 lbs and even though I know it was mostly water, I don't care, it gave me a sense of accomplishment and hope. I've been pretty faithful to the program and have lost about 40 lbs as of today. This is all without exercise, which I'll be starting soon.
Marble - congratulations on the "Mom moment." If you'd rather gauge your weight loss by how your clothing fits than by the scale, that's okay. You know you're losing and that's the important thing.