The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Jillian is who she is: Bob is who he is. But who gets better results?

Lots of discussion online as to whether or not the way people train on TBL is abusive or not especially Jillian this season seeming mean or different. I thought Id post here on the TBL forum cause this is the place for it I think.
Jillian has one approach hardcore lots of yelling and so on: Bob has another which seems to be kinder. Not gonna talk about Dolvett cause hes only been on a few seasons.
SO youd think if Jillians approach is so horrible shed have worse results for overall winners. If a kinder approach worked aka Bob, would Bob have better results aka more overall winners?
I dont know who has more "winners" per season -- Jillian or Bob when they compete head to head like each trains a team?
I think its Jillian for overall seasons winners. So does this mean that tough love Jillian style is more effective than Bobs? Assuming of course she has more overall winners than Bob

Last edited by misspixie; 01-12-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Still don't know about this season if she's changed or whatever, but yes Jillian had more winners in the beginning seasons- alot of the women that won Biggest Loser titles were trained with Jillian, so I believe that says something... she does know her stuff, especially getting the women's weight down and breaking them out of plateaus.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5

I'm sure most of the differences come from creative editing. Though some of the stuff coming out of her mouth this season has been astounding.

and my recollection is that Jillian has more winners. Doesn't seem to be working for her this time though.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When Jillian and Bob compete, she wins consistently. Bob tends to win when there is no Jillian to compete with.

On the 10 seasons where both Bob and Jillian were competing together, one of Jillian's contestants won 8 seasons, one of Bob's contestants won 1 season, and Ali Vincent, who worked with both of them and spent time off-ranch, won the final season.

I think this is mostly editing, to be honest, combined with the fact that Jillian seemed to have been assigned kind of a dud team member (seriously, who quits on the first day? After being given that opportunity?) which hurt her team's momentum. I'm sure if Bob or Dolvett had a contestant who got less than an hour into the first workout and quit, they'd be yelling too, but that's not the edit you'd see, since "Mean Bob" is not the storyline BL goes for, unlike "Mean Jillian".

And honestly, given the number of psych evaluations these contestants undergo, I would not at all be surprised if Jillian was given a contestant who really, truly was not ready and bound to quit, specifically to set up this kind of confrontation, so that BL could get the "Mean Jillian" edit and get everyone talking about her return.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6

shes only being "meaner" because its the start of her return and the show is going on this whole thing about her being bad and back. she'll tone it down as the season progresses, im sure.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Mind you, I don't watch the show, but these teams might not be assigned randomly either. Like on Dancing with the Stars - you can know from the beginning if a star has a chance or not and it has nothing to do with the professional they are paired with. Could be the same for these judges.

I have now worked with a trainer for two "events" at my gym in groups. And while a trainer has a lot to do with motivating the 'contestants', it's more the individuals mind-set and what they are willing to put into it than the trainer.

A trainer can go a lot farther with teams who REALLLLLLY want it and are willing to work for it than for other teams that are are more lackadaisical about it.

The team I'm on now had the winning Biggest Winner (name of our contest at the gym) individual last year. Well.... this year? Huh. The other women on my team are all like, "I don't want to do that." Or, "I like to read my book when I exercise" when the trainer suggested she rev it up some doing intervals instead... You can only do so much as a trainer - the people on the team have to want to do it!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Mind you, I don't watch the show, but these teams might not be assigned randomly either. Like on Dancing with the Stars - you can know from the beginning if a star has a chance or not and it has nothing to do with the professional they are paired with. Could be the same for these judges.

I have now worked with a trainer for two "events" at my gym in groups. And while a trainer has a lot to do with motivating the 'contestants', it's more the individuals mind-set and what they are willing to put into it than the trainer.

A trainer can go a lot farther with teams who REALLLLLLY want it and are willing to work for it than for other teams that are are more lackadaisical about it.

The team I'm on now had the winning Biggest Winner (name of our contest at the gym) individual last year. Well.... this year? Huh. The other women on my team are all like, "I don't want to do that." Or, "I like to read my book when I exercise" when the trainer suggested she rev it up some doing intervals instead... You can only do so much as a trainer - the people on the team have to want to do it!
In some instances, trainers are able to pick their teams (they have in the past) and usually they opt for the bigger guys and gals so they can pull bigger numbers and lead their team to victory, so there is a bit of that too, you're right.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #8  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystreak View Post
In some instances, trainers are able to pick their teams (they have in the past) and usually they opt for the bigger guys and gals so they can pull bigger numbers and lead their team to victory, so there is a bit of that too, you're right.
Oh yes, then definitely. I was wondering about the teams set up with my gym too. There are about 70 of us, we are in groups of 4. About 10 or so are men. That means that no team should have more than one man on it. So, how come at least one team has two men?

And we were assigned without them having our weights, ages, anything. (they could be more organized about it).

My team? While a great bunch of ladies, we have no chance in he$$ to win anything. We are all women, and two are over 65.

The teams with the men on them have a better chance and the one with TWO men? if they don't win everything, then they aren't trying very hard.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #9  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

I'm one of Jillian's biggest fans. Yes, she screams and yells. But these people would have given up already. She pushes them beyond anything they can imagine. She p***es them so off that they get angry and then they "want to show her" they aren't as weak as she makes them out to be. It's pshycology that she's doing. When you have so much weight to lose, like those people on the biggest loser, you need someone like Jillian to get you moving. GO JILLIAN!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #10  
Melissa

Wait a minute. Are you really saying what it sounds like you are saying? Tough love is the only thing that works on people who are so fat?

See... that's why I hate shows like this (and refuse to watch) because people really do start to think that's how people 'need' to be treated.

For what it's worth. I needed to lose 115 pounds. And I never needed anyone to yell or scream at me or belittle me to do it. I have had supportive friends, family and now a supportive personal trainer. Who pushes me and can see when I'm working hard and when I'm not and knows when to stop and when to push with never raising her voice or making belittling comments.

Sure, I'm not losing as FAST as those are on Biggest Loser, but that's another problem with that show.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Wait a minute. Are you really saying what it sounds like you are saying? Tough love is the only thing that works on people who are so fat?
I would say that tough love is a good approach for the kind of person who self-selects to be on the Biggest Loser by applying and is subsequently selected for the show. Doesn't say anything about bigger people in general, only about the very specific subset of "People who apply for and are selected for Biggest Loser" (who are likely to a, believe that they can't lose weight without BL, and b, have big psychological "breakthroughs" to have, since the producers are looking for those sorts of moments for TV).

The number of people who say things like "I have been applying to get on the show for 6 seasons" always blows me away. I always think about the fact that they could be at goal already had they just started. But those people really don't believe that they are capable...and the quickest way to break that down is the tough love.

Now, it's not the ONLY way to break that down, but on BL, you don't have a few months to get them over that hurdle.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I have watched the show in the past, no more, I think Jilliam is crazy.

For those of you who are lucky enough to be brought up in a home where yelling and hitting wasn't the "way to bring up children" you are lucky. Screaming at someone may get them to do whatever, but it is no way to get it done, because it is "fear". If a person is not self motivated to lose weight, quit drinking, quit smoking, quit drugging etc. it won't happen, maybe temporarily, but not permanant. Jillian is crazy, I hope she is not bringing her child up using this 'tough" approach. OMG!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I would say that tough love is a good approach for the kind of person who self-selects to be on the Biggest Loser by applying and is subsequently selected for the show. Doesn't say anything about bigger people in general, only about the very specific subset of "People who apply for and are selected for Biggest Loser" (who are likely to a, believe that they can't lose weight without BL, and b, have big psychological "breakthroughs" to have, since the producers are looking for those sorts of moments for TV).

The number of people who say things like "I have been applying to get on the show for 6 seasons" always blows me away. I always think about the fact that they could be at goal already had they just started. But those people really don't believe that they are capable...and the quickest way to break that down is the tough love.

Now, it's not the ONLY way to break that down, but on BL, you don't have a few months to get them over that hurdle.
OK, this is true. Obviously, these people are screened and 'should' be mentally capable of handling such treatment, but what does it say about people that it takes that to get motivated?

For me (and many) it would be the sheer embarrassment of being on the show and coming across as lazy or a wuss or a quitter. I would shrink inside myself if I stepped on a scale and didn't see losses as the WORLD is watching me!

But we are all different. I've been the people pleaser. Others have different motivations, but to conjecture that all really fat people NEED to be yelled at to get with the program is wrong too. Most need self-love, support, enough sleep and the means to make good decisions.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

One thing that was interesting in this weeks show was that a Red team member worked out with Jillian's team. They didn't specifically have her comment about the training but she seemed to be keeping up but didn't seem to be finding it too easy either. So it seems like physically at least, the training regimens are reasonably comparable.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #15  

I think the reason why Jills screaming is so effective though is because of WHAT shes saying. She gets very angry and hits things but says things like "Do it!" "Finish it!" "Youre capable of doing this" etc. Sometimes its straight to the point, sometimes its positive, but I cannot see how it can harm someones soul, she never puts people down and she never makes you double think and wonder if you're good enough. Shes just a little aggressive but shes reassuring you that YOU ARE good enough. And although its a lot to bear at first -- this is where all the crying comes in, soon after you're over it and you're thankful for it. And contestants DO get over it because they know nothing that was said left a mark.. it was just a verbal push.

I think it all depends on WHAT youre saying. Im all for tough love, but you DO need to be careful of the message you're sending.