3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing

The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Biggest loser on kinect?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
New-b
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 238

S/C/G: 219/ticker/175

Height: 5ft

Default Biggest loser on kinect?

Does anyone use this?
I enjoy it, with some of the moves altered due to bad knees. I even added stability ball for some variety but I'd like a lil strength training too. Just wondering what can be added to add strength in with all that cardio
__________________
mini goal


main goal





I began my weight loss mission on 10/18/12. I am trying to stay under 1350 cal a day and doing biggest loser on kinect 20-30 mins 3x a week, and avg 1 mile on treadmil 2x a week. I started at 219 (222 at my biggest) and I'm working towards 155.
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
budding cinephile
 
chellez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,276

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default

I just bought this game pre-owned the other day (of course the person before me took out the TBL Club Membership code ) but I finally got everything set up and I did my first 30 minutes today on moderate even though it suggested challenging.

I liked it a lot. The menus were a little hard to navigate at times because my little ball of light kept jumping around and sometimes Bob couldn't hear me tell him that I was feeling good and didn't need a water break, but other than that I enjoyed it. I never felt like it was too much or too little. Like you, I also have knee issues so I can't do the lunges very well. Still, compared to the Nike+ Kinect Training game this one feels like a dream because I'm sweating but not feeling like I got hit by a Mac truck afterwards.

I don't know what your goals are, but I'd like to keep in touch and see how you are liking this game as you move through it. I set up my goal for a 12 week program at 3 days a week, but I'll also be using up the last bit of my gym membership during that time.
__________________
Chelle
The Good , The Bad , and The Ugly : MyPlate
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Member
 
200poundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
I liked it a lot. The menus were a little hard to navigate at times because my little ball of light kept jumping around and sometimes Bob couldn't hear me tell him that I was feeling good and didn't need a water break, but other than that I enjoyed it. I never felt like it was too much or too little. Like you, I also have knee issues so I can't do the lunges very well. Still, compared to the Nike+ Kinect Training game this one feels like a dream because I'm sweating but not feeling like I got hit by a Mac truck afterwards.
I've had this game since it came out, but haven't played it in awhile. It's a decent game, though I agree about the menus. I wish they would let you use the regular controller for those.

I'm doing EA Sports Active 2 at the moment. I liked BL, but I prefer Sports Active.

I was wondering about Nike+ Kinect. Do they have different difficulty levels? I thought about getting it, but wasn't sure I'd actually be able to use it at my current fitness level.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
budding cinephile
 
chellez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,276

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundquest View Post
I was wondering about Nike+ Kinect. Do they have different difficulty levels? I thought about getting it, but wasn't sure I'd actually be able to use it at my current fitness level.
Nike+ Training is based solely on your weight and how you perform on the fitness assessment. You can't change the intensity or the exercises, the only thing you can set is whether you want to "get lean", "get strong" or "get toned" and how many days you work out. Everything else is designed for you in the 4 week program.

I did okay on week 1 and 2, but by week 3 they wanted me to do a lot of lunges and jumping and my knee just couldn't take it. Also, the game doesn't ask how you're feeling or if you need water breaks. It just keeps going until it's ready to give you one.

I hope that helps!
__________________
Chelle
The Good , The Bad , and The Ugly : MyPlate
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Member
 
200poundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
Nike+ Training is based solely on your weight and how you perform on the fitness assessment. You can't change the intensity or the exercises, the only thing you can set is whether you want to "get lean", "get strong" or "get toned" and how many days you work out. Everything else is designed for you in the 4 week program.

I did okay on week 1 and 2, but by week 3 they wanted me to do a lot of lunges and jumping and my knee just couldn't take it. Also, the game doesn't ask how you're feeling or if you need water breaks. It just keeps going until it's ready to give you one.

I hope that helps!
Thanks for the info I think I'll wait until I can get it on sale or pre-owned for a decent price in case I can't use it for awhile. Definitely can't do jumping exercises. That's one thing I like about sports active, you can remove exercises you can't do (or the kinect won't track), tho I wish they'd let you replace them with something else.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
budding cinephile
 
chellez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,276

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundquest View Post
Thanks for the info I think I'll wait until I can get it on sale or pre-owned for a decent price in case I can't use it for awhile. Definitely can't do jumping exercises. That's one thing I like about sports active, you can remove exercises you can't do (or the kinect won't track), tho I wish they'd let you replace them with something else.
I'll have to look into that game. I went to gamestop and specifically asked for a game that I could remove certain exercises from because of my knees and the only thing they had in stock to suggest for fitness other than the $50 Nike+ game was Just Dance, Dance Central or Biggest Loser. I can't dance because of my two left feet so I suppose I chose the lesser of the three evils.

Bob made me do some lunges yesterday and kept saying "I'm noticing you're having trouble going deeper with these." Well duh computer Bob! I wish you'd let me tell you more about my knee problems!
__________________
Chelle
The Good , The Bad , and The Ugly : MyPlate
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Member
 
200poundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
I'll have to look into that game. I went to gamestop and specifically asked for a game that I could remove certain exercises from because of my knees and the only thing they had in stock to suggest for fitness other than the $50 Nike+ game was Just Dance, Dance Central or Biggest Loser. I can't dance because of my two left feet so I suppose I chose the lesser of the three evils.

Bob made me do some lunges yesterday and kept saying "I'm noticing you're having trouble going deeper with these." Well duh computer Bob! I wish you'd let me tell you more about my knee problems!
Yeah, that was my biggest beef with TBL is lack of customization in the workouts. Sports Active might be hard to track down pre-owned. A lot of people were disappointed with the game, mostly due to tracking issues, plus there was the cost of the heart rate monitor, so i'm not sure how many people bought it. I enjoy it, in spite of the flaws tho. There are a few exercises I just can not get it to track properly, which is a bummer.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
budding cinephile
 
chellez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,276

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundquest View Post
A lot of people were disappointed with the game, mostly due to tracking issues, plus there was the cost of the heart rate monitor, so i'm not sure how many people bought it. I enjoy it, in spite of the flaws tho. There are a few exercises I just can not get it to track properly, which is a bummer.
I was having tracking issues tonight on TBL. I had a boxing routine and it was telling me to punch higher and wasn't really counting all of my reps when I had to do things like uppercut combos.

I think that's really the only drawback about kinect games in general. It's a nice system but not a perfect one, so you just have to do the best that you can and if you're sweating, you know it's working!
__________________
Chelle
The Good , The Bad , and The Ugly : MyPlate
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Member
 
200poundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
I was having tracking issues tonight on TBL. I had a boxing routine and it was telling me to punch higher and wasn't really counting all of my reps when I had to do things like uppercut combos.

I think that's really the only drawback about kinect games in general. It's a nice system but not a perfect one, so you just have to do the best that you can and if you're sweating, you know it's working!
Yeah, I actually end up getting more of a workout sometimes because the boxing won't register my punches or i have to find perfect spot where it will track my squats.

Still a lot more motivating for me than doing a dvd workout tho. I'm totally addicted to unlocking achievements, so some of the stuff it won't track irritates me for that reason, but at least i'm moving more than my thumbs

Last edited by 200poundquest : 02-05-2013 at 02:35 AM.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
budding cinephile
 
chellez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 2,276

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundquest View Post
Still a lot more motivating for me than doing a dvd workout tho. I'm totally addicted to unlocking achievements, so some of the stuff it won't track irritates me for that reason, but at least i'm moving more than my thumbs
Oh I know that feeling. I weighed in finally on Monday and I unlocked like 5 of them at once

I tried to do a yoga for fitness DVD on Sunday and I just standing there laughing because this instructor was just moving from pose to pose and there was no "let me show you first" phase, which I would think is essential for that kind of routine so you don't do something wrong and cause an injury.
__________________
Chelle
The Good , The Bad , and The Ugly : MyPlate
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Member
 
200poundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 396/372/125

Height: 5'4

Smile

Grats on the unlocks

If you do manage to track down a copy of sports active, I stumbled on a trick that gets the game to track the cardio boxing better.

Seems if I step out of the play area and force the game to re-identify me, it tracks the exercise almost perfectly, which is nice cuz I really like the cardio boxing when it works.

Might try that on some of the others that give me troubles and see if it helps.

I know what you mean about dvds. Whenever I'd get a new one I'd spend about half the workout flailing around like an idiot trying to remember what I was supposed to do.

Some dvds are better than others at explaining though. I'll stick with my kinect tho.
200poundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6

Default

I love TBL. I am a former professional kickboxer and boxer, and when Bob is telling me my arms arent high enough and |I know its not good form, I just ignore him haha. My theory is that its better to be moving then getting frustrated at the game itself. If you miss a few reps counted, big deal, the idea is that you keep moving. anything is better than nothing. There are ways to customize the game, and modifications that Ive found that still register on the game. I think that if I cant make it go green, then I will keep trying til I can
immatoughcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6

Default

oh and if you are having trouble with tracking, go through the set up again, and it will be good. Ive had to do this a few times.
immatoughcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3

S/C/G: 236/236/170

Height: 5'6

Default

You could use weights? I have this game and I use 2 pounders when doing a lot of the work outs.
Bingaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X Box Kinect? LiveandLove Does it Work? 14 06-18-2011 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2