The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Default Biggest Loser Cupcakes

So today I tried to make these cupcakes I saw on The Biggest Loser a season or two ago. THEY WERE TERRIBLE... not worth the scant calories that I have in a day. I made them cause I'm all about avoiding added refined sugars.... but I'm also about enjoying the food I eat Someone else can try these and see if they can do one better.

Makes about 14 cupcakes

Ingredients
5 organic egg whites
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

For the frosting
1 cup nonfat cream cheese
1/2 ripe banana

For raspberry frosting as seen on the show:
1 cup nonfat cream cheese, at room temp
1 cup fresh raspberries
Fresh raspberries to garnish

Method
Preheat the oven to 325F.
Place the egg whites in a large bowl and using a handheld mixer whip the whites on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until the whites begin to lighten up and hold their shape.
Increase speed to high and whip in the salt and honey until the whites hold a soft peak, then add the vanilla extract.
Fold in the yogurt.
In a separate medium mixing bowl combine the flour and baking powder and mix well.
Sift the dry ingredients into the egg whites a little at a time, gently folding them in with a rubber spatula.
Once fully incorporated, scoop the batter into cupcake tins lined with cupcake papers.
Bake the cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes or until they have colored and gently spring back when pushed with a finger.
Remove from the oven and cool the cupcakes at room temp.
Mix the cream cheese and the banana in a medium mixing bowl until well incorporated, leaving small chunks of banana throughout the frosting.
Once cool, spread a little of the banana frosting over the cupcakes and (top each with a raspberry?) serve.
For raspberry frosting:
While the cupcakes are baking, puree the raspberries in a blender until smooth.
Pass through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepot and cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the puree reduces slightly.
Cool completely.
Place the cream cheese into a medium mixing bowl and fold the puree into the cream cheese until fully mixed.
Once cupcakes are cool, spread a little of the berry frosting over the cupcakes, garnish each with one raspberry and serve.
Nutrition Facts:
Calories 60
Total Fat 0g
Sat Fat g 0g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 190mg
Total Carb 10g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar 4g
Protein 5g
Old 04-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

That's too bad! I remember seeing the cupcakes and thinking they looked delicious. I got turned off looking at the recipe you posted as soon as I saw frosting made from "fat-free cream cheese". I'd way rather have a very small amount of regular cream cheese, or better yet, some ricotta!! Ricotta works great as a substitute for cream cheese.

And to think the recipe was supposedly created by Curtis Stone. It really is funny when a lot of the "healthy" recipes from these celebrity chefs turn out to be duds. I found the same thing happened when a friend and I tried several of Jame Oliver's "healthy" recipes from his food revolution. They were all bland, blah, or downright terrible. In particular, we tried that stirfy he was always teaching people two times (in case we got it wrong the first), but we found it totally bland and boring.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #3  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

It was a total dud. After seeing that episode those cupcakes were all I could think about until I finally managed to have all the ingredients and inspiration together.

I agree with your line of thinking in that you'd rather have small amounts of the good stuff versus plenty of the "fat free" stuff. I would rather have one decadent cupcake a month than one of these cupcakes twice a day. Haha.

I'm not going to pretend I'm the most talented baker, but the recipe wasn't organic chemistry or anything.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/165

Height: 5'10"

I tried them too and they were really gross. If I am going to want a cupcake, I'm just going to go for the real thing. The problem now, is not wanting cupcakes lol