The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #511  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I love how Alison ratted on Kaylee for only losing 2lbs in the last 7 weeks... then Kaylee jumps on the scale, loses 5lbs, and everyone is so happy for her. I'm sitting there, thinking... Great! She's lost 7lbs in the last 8 weeks now!

At this point though, the only way for a girl to win the show is if all the guys get eliminated off. So if Kaylee continues to stick around... well, I just might be okay with that I HIGHLY doubt a female will win, but here's hoping!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #512  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

So, I thought that was the most boring episode to date, lol.

I'm really glad Olivia won that challenge, and not Rulon or Kaylee.

As far as weight loss goes, all the guys (including those that have been voted off) are bothering me. While I know that they've lost a substantial amount of weight, it seems obvious to me that the women are faring far better, and on a whole, they have far less to lose. C'mon guys. Step up your game a bit. (what's even more frustrating is, a guy is more probable to win, and it seems to me they are less deserving on a whole this season)

During the commercial break before elimination, I knew Ken was going home. I had figured in my head who would vote for whom, and that it would come down to percentage of weight loss...which I love, but at the same time, I hate that I could KNOW which way every person was going to vote. It just bugs me, can't really explain why.

Also, I'm glad the whole, "Ken has stuff he needs to work through" didn't seem to fly. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...but they all have things to work through, and why did we never hear mention of these "issues" until he was on the chopping block? He talked about never being accepted in a group...um, he's a minister, right? I find it hard to believe his church doesn't accept him, his family obviously accepts him...I don't know. It just all seemed sketchy to me.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like any time the contestants have something new to do or some challenge to try, Rulon has a sob story?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #513  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Redreine - I agree! sob..sob... I don't deserve to be loved, I was in a plane crash, my shoulders, I'm feeling deprived. I'm trying to like the guy, but something about him. Not sure if he will keep it up after the show and the "competition" part of it is over.

I think I would like Austin more if he got a haircut and shave. I can't stand it when he puts it in a ponytail. Yuck! I wonder if they can't leave the ranch to go to a barber shop? Please let there be makeover week soon.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #514  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I'm pretty sure this is makeover week. Remember somebody saying something about it this week.

I really like Olivia and her sister now too. They do push hard and their weight loss is consistently good for being so close to goal. Isn't it amazing when you have built up so much muscle that 170's & 160's look thin!

Did anyone else catch what Irene said about having the highest percentage of weight loss and having a target on her back? Didn't realize that. I do hope she wins.

So glad Ken went home didn't really care for him, now for Kaylie to go. She gets on my nerves too. It's so funny that she blames her dad for being overweight still. She is a grown woman, time to take responsibility for your own actions. Maybe it was the way the show was presented at the beginning but I feel no real connection to anyone from Brett and Cara's team.
Did anyone else have that same issue?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #515  
focused and aiming

I like Rulon. I think NBC sets him and the other contestants up to tell the sob stories. I can just hear them now, "Do you have anything to say to help us add drama?" A lot of focus is on contestants' fears and their overcoming them. I do think that focus is good for drama as well as for showing viewers that they can overcome personal phobias; however, I think TV drama is the main concern for NBC.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #516  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I like the whole idea of the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss going home in case of a tie. It's designed where the person who worked the hardest stays in that type of situation.

In that situation, at this stage in the game, there should be no CHANCE a guy with as much weight left to lose as Ken should have not won the tiebreaker over a much smaller girl. No chance.

I agree with others...the guys have lost weight, sure. But for their size, at this stage, they should really be putting up more, right?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #517  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't think that Kaylee was blaming Moses for her poor performance so much as she was blaming the food that she was eating around him. He may have been making good choices, but just the simple fact that he is so much bigger than Kaylee would likely mean that if she ate everything he did it's very possible he could lose and she could gain or maintain.

Hannah and Olivia have grown on me so much. At the beginning they had these big obnoxious personalities and they really seem to have settled into their real selves on the ranch. I think they're so hardworking and supportive of each other and everyone else. I'd now love to have someone like them in my life!

I do believe that Ken had some issues with his wife when they went home for the holidays (their 2 week home visit earlier in the season). I think there were conflicts over her lifestyle and how she was or wasn't supporting Ken and Austin in their new lifestyle. I wish I could remember where I read that. Bob's blog maybe?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #518  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix View Post
I thought Cara's reaction to Ken's... request was... fake, I guess. She got so mad, so quickly, that I can't help but wonder if the producers put her up to it. Drama sells. If she wasn't acting though, then holy cow I get that she'd be hurt, but that was way too defensive.

I've really enjoyed Kaylee up until this point. But after this week's +4, I'm really really annoyed.
Her progress...
Week 7: 174
Week 8: 176 (+2)
Week 9 (which was really two weeks): 174 (-2)
Week 10: 169 (-5)
Week 11: 168 (-1)
Week 12: 172 (+4)

From week 7 to week 12--5 weeks (well, really 6 weeks)--Kaylee's lost 2lbs (174lbs to 172lbs). I thought her weight loss sucked because she's so tiny, but all the other women at this point have BMIs lower than Kaylee's. She went from the lightest women on campus, and now that Cortney is gone, Kaylee's the heaviest.

BMI (week 12) for the ladies
Irene's: (5'4")(161lbs) 27.6
Oliva's: (5'9")(172lbs) 25.4
Hannah's: (5'8")(164lbs) 24.9
Kaylee's: (5'5")(172lbs) 28.6

Highlight for spoiler (NOTE: spoiler content was mentioned at the end of this week's episode, with that whole "what's going to happen next week" preview): Kaylee's likely to go home real fast what with singles coming up, so that's good.
Where on earth did you find how tall the contestants are? I searched one day out of curiosity and couldn't find it anywhere!

I am will all of you, I loved Courtney. I told DH from the first show that she would win it all, darn it! Now I don't know who I want to win. I think Irene is the only one who doesnt bug me at this point, but not sure if she can win or not, she is sort of the dark horse in all this. Haven't looked at her stats to see if she can get down at least 55% weight loss, but she's only 5'4" so maybe she could. What did she start at?

I also am bugged by Cara. She always has this deer in the headlights look, what the heck? I have also seen enough boxing to last me 5 seasons. I don't mind a little here and there, it is a good workout, but it's not all about boxing, all the time!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #519  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Nx wk TBL contestants are gonna be on Top chef masters as well as Alison Sweeney. The chefs are suppose 2 make fatten foods they enjoy into healthy 1200 cal meals.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #520  
focused and aiming

Sounds like a good episode that should help a lot of folks.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #521  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't know about the bridge...but when they jumped off the cliff it looked like they could almost hit the rocks/wall if the cord swung the wrong way. it's not necessarily heights I'm afraid of, I'd just be afraid if something went wrong, like the cord broke or I hit a rock.. maybe since I read stories like that often. heck.. I don't even get on roller coasters or those type of rides. Maybe in that situation on a show and people cheering you on you take the chance... but what if you got injured and there goes your spot on the show and chances of winning?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #522  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

I understand that the show is built quite a bit on drama. And everyone has a story, and that's fine...but Rulon seems to have a different little pity party for himself every episode.

With the others, they just have their initial story, and the same clips get run over and over again. I remember when we were constantly seeing Rulon's Olympic picture and it drove me nuts...now I would almost give anything to go back to that instead of his crybabying! lol
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #523  

Really looking forward to this week's episode. Anyone have any thoughts on the "preview"??
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #524  

Height: 5'5

ooh now I'm excited. I havn't seen the preview
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #525  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

They probably had boxes mocked up of all the contestants ahead of the challenge.