The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #211  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily In Bloom View Post
I think the part that offended most people is that he picked two weak players from the unknowns, thinking that if his team was the losing team that they could just vote off those two, since they weren't "really" part of the team. Which, imho, is a pretty crappy thing to do for a number of reasons. First, you put "weaker" people on your own team, and then you tell them to their face that you want to vote them off.

Just very bad form, I think. But then, I hate the temptations. If you want to vote people off to make it a show, go ahead, but all this "power to change the game" stuff really annoys me. Just let people do what they do, and let the one that's the most devoted/persistent win.
and he got rid of the team because he just didn't like them.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #212  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

And, really, the only way for Arthur's plan to have worked is if he didn't tell anyone what he'd done. I canNOT figure out why he did that. It wasn't about maintaining integrity - clearly the choice was all about game play to him. If you're going to go into game play mode, you have to do it all the way and not worry about lying. Everyone on his team (and the other team) would have easily gone on believing that someone on the unknown team had made the decision, and someone from team pink likely would have really gotten voted off if they had lost the weigh in.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #213  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

I know I'm super late on this, but I have no computer/internet, so me getting online is rare. :P

First, I loved last season. I do agree that there was too much gameplay, though.
Second, I LOVE Courtney. I hope she wins. I felt like Ada should've won last season, and Courtney reminds me a lot of Ada, in terms of doing what she needs to do and getting the job done.
Next, I can't stand the yellow team. Imo, it's not exactly fair to have an Olympian on TBL...to me, they're a celebrity. Go on Celebrity Fit Club or whatever.
Arthur is driving me nuts. He's a placeholder, just like Elizabeth from last season. She drove me nuts as well, and I was so upset that she made it so far. She didn't deserve to, AT ALL.
Dan & Don. OMG RAGE. This is a chance of a lifetime, and millions of people are literally DYING to get on this show, and you just throw it all away? If I ever meet you, boy do I have some words. And they aren't pretty.
The whole Unknowns thing drives me nuts. That whole group seems to be so cocky and arrogant...I love when they have to vote someone off, just because on a whole they seem like jerks.

If I were on TBL, I would consistently vote off the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss, unless there were extenuating circumstances, or if they consistently had great numbers and just had a bad week. I know strategically it doesn't make sense, but imo, it's called The Biggest Loser for a reason. The real biggest loser deserves to win. Not the person with the best gameplay.

Honestly, I wish the show wasn't about gameplay. I wish all the contestants could stay on the ranch the whole time, and then whoever has the highest percentage of weight loss at the end is the winner. But we all know that would never happen, because it would lower the ratings. Which is honestly sad, considering the obesity epidemic in this country.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #214  

I thought it looked like the new trainers were trying way too hard when they shared the gym with Bob and Jillian. It was almost embarrassing the way they were showing off instead of training their team.
At the weigh in they guy on the yellow team was so down on Q but didn't say anything when his percentage was about the same. Maybe it's how they edited it, but he isn't coming off very well. I also wonder if the yellow team are a couple, they are giving off the vibe that they are.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

from a game play point of view what Arthur did was a decent move, like he said it would guarantee he'd be there atleast 2 more weeks. but to spill the beans that he switched the teams wasn't too smart. He could of waited later in the game to confess it was him to switch the teams. Hopefully the teams cool down and don't vote him off... I remember when Michael from last season choose teams and people were mad but later they cooled off and kept him on, so maybe it'll be that way for Arthur.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #216  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redreine View Post
Dan & Don. OMG RAGE. This is a chance of a lifetime, and millions of people are literally DYING to get on this show, and you just throw it all away? If I ever meet you, boy do I have some words.
I completely agree with you, redreine. I think I would not be able to refrain from giving them a bit of a speech myself. There are so many people who would have loved to be on the show and who would FIGHT to stay as long as possible, instead of throwing the towel in and going back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redreine View Post
If I were on TBL, I would consistently vote off the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss, unless there were extenuating circumstances, or if they consistently had great numbers and just had a bad week. I know strategically it doesn't make sense, but imo, it's called The Biggest Loser for a reason. The real biggest loser deserves to win. Not the person with the best gameplay.
I wish they (the producers) would mix it up. For example, I would still allow the contestants to vote people off, but every here and there, I would (as the host) would announce, at the weigh-in, that in this episode it will be the person with the lowest weight loss going home. So for example, half of the episodes would be that the contestants have the power to cast their votes, but in the other episodes, it would be the person with the lowest weight loss. Except that the contestants would never know which it will be, until after the weigh in. That would screw up their scheming and gameplaying very nicely!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #217  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post

I wish they (the producers) would mix it up. For example, I would still allow the contestants to vote people off, but every here and there, I would (as the host) would announce, at the weigh-in, that in this episode it will be the person with the lowest weight loss going home. So for example, half of the episodes would be that the contestants have the power to cast their votes, but in the other episodes, it would be the person with the lowest weight loss. Except that the contestants would never know which it will be, until after the weigh in. That would screw up their scheming and gameplaying very nicely!
They are yet to do it this season but they normally do it with a redline and a yellow line. Person who has the lowest weight that week falls below the red line and is automatically sent home. They usually have 2 eliminations in that given week.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #218  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

Height: 5'8"

This week really iritated me and I think it just reinforced how much I dislike Arthur. I really don't think his heart is in it. We saw with the donuts that he didn't want to make the change, how he ate the chocolates we see that he hasn't really done anything, and by his weight loss alone we see he isn't wokring as hard as he could. Normally when people have this high body fat on TBL are dropping weight 2-3x as much as him. Obviously in the real world what he's doing is fantastic but he's in a controlled environment where it just seems kind of off. I don't think his heart is really in it. And i agree with a PP that I think his dad may be an enabler.

Witht hat said Courtney is awesome! She reminds me of Ada last season. She doesn't have the atheletic ability like Ada does (though she may with time) but she has the drive about her and she's so motivated!! I wish she would lighten up on the makeup but over all I think she's my fave by far.
On the down side with this season I don't feel like I really know the "unknowns". I know the tongan guy, Q, the yellow team but that's about it. It sucks because I like to know the characters and where they stand. I dont even know how they're doing weight loss wise because they've given them no screen time. Stupid move, TPTB
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #219  
I'm what I set out to be

S/C/G: 179/ticker/not quite sure

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
from a game play point of view what Arthur did was a decent move, like he said it would guarantee he'd be there atleast 2 more weeks. but to spill the beans that he switched the teams wasn't too smart. He could of waited later in the game to confess it was him to switch the teams. Hopefully the teams cool down and don't vote him off... I remember when Michael from last season choose teams and people were mad but later they cooled off and kept him on, so maybe it'll be that way for Arthur.
I still believe it was a stupid move....he is already thinking about himself preforming bad and being up for elimination....Saying it was him, makes the move superstupid...everybody thought it was someone from the red team, because weakest links from that team were exchanged for the strong players....Arthur actually made his team weaker and I absolutely cannot see wisdom in that...Btw he loses the pounds, but doesn't give much percentage wise...He does need to be there, but if I was on the show, I would vote him off, because I simply wouldn't risk my position to keep him there, and he had already shown he's not loyal and is no good to make alliances with....

Btw, his dad beats him in lbs loss every time, I like him...Someone said, Jesse is to blame for Arthurs weight...it probably is partially true, but...well then all of our parents are somewhat guilty for our weight, they made a mistake, and there is no reversing....I think he's playing his role quite good now

Courtney is my favourite also I mean...her will...I wonder how did she acquire it? It must be hard to go down from 400+ to bellow 200lbs (where I guess she will eventually be)...amazing...if I could have 30% of that will power...just amazing...

And unlike many of you I do like the former yellow team. They also show strength of caracter and always look up at that kind of people and admire them. I think their charisma and the fact that they really walk the walk makes them 'natural leaders' as (i think) Bob said. They have great potential. And, lol, I don't think they're a couple...but who knows, might be :P

Grey team....what are those Tongans made of? Fellipe, Sione, Koli, Sam (<3)...they all smash the game...they really impress me, I want to marry a Tongan some day - a fit one ofcourse ...and after seeing their island in 'Where are they now special'....speachless

Finally about the trainers....Cara doesn't get my heart at all....Nowhere near Jillian - altough I hate her sometimes, I don't think I could stand someone yelling at me so much....I wouldn't mind if that Brett guy sticks around for a while, but I also can't picture the show without Bob...And the new trainers show off in the gym was really pointless, and about all that noise in the gym, I can understand why black team was upset...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #220  

I've thought the Yellow team was a couple the whole time! lol

I was so pissed at Arthur, but then I felt bad when he was crying in the gym. I'm such a sucker for tears.

I agree with everyone so far about the new trainers, especially Cara trying to be Jillian. Cara seems sweet...and for that reason alone, she'll NEVER be Jillian.

Does anyone remember there being 3 trainers in the very first season, or is that just me? Honestly, before last season, the last season I watched was season 4, I believe. The one with Kae and Isabeau. (I loved them both)

Also, I understand that there will be temptations when they get home irl, but sometimes I think TBL goes overboard with it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #221  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

It wasn't the very first season that they had an extra trainer but another one of the earlier ones. Her name was Kim. I didn't like her at all!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I wish they would show more about the food. It feeds into the whole "I've been working out like crazy all week, how come I haven't lost?!" mentality I see sometimes. My guess is that the people, like Arthur and Q, who have low weight losses are over indulging in the kitchen.

It's not the 35 chocolates that did him in, it's the choices he makes every time he's in the kitchen, which they unfortunately don't show.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #223  

Kim! I knew that was her name!

Also, I was at the library today reading some of TBL's books. It says that in TBL house they have a variety of foods, good and bad, and the people in the house eat what they want to eat, but are taught about good and bad calories.

Also that they are allowed a "cheat day", but don't have to take it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #224  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Yeah, Kim was on it for 2 seasons, I think. Jillian left for a season, and then the next season they had Kim and Bob at the ranch training their teams, and Jillian secretly training her black team, who were the rejects of the other two teams. If I remember correctly, one of the black team "rejects" won that season. I really did NOT like Kim.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #225  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I too wish they had more discussion of food (other than the product placements!) and how the contestants are eating. I remember a few seasons ago Bob giving his blue team a camera to show what they were eating through a day and just being horrified about what they were eating. It was towards the end so they should have had it down pat, but they weren't eating enough of the right stuff and missing some pretty major nutritional requirements in their daily meals. They should show more of that and less crying.