3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing

The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

My problem with the Biggest Loser Show

Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #31
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I watched it last night and wondered....what the heck happened to Bob? He seemed like he turned into Jillian! I thought Bob was the sweet, kind trainer and suddenly, he was demanding respect??!!?!?

Yeah, it's pretty extreme stuff on the show. Honestly, I used to wish I could go on that show but now, I'm really so glad to be in control of my own weight loss. I can understand why some people need that kind of kick in the rear to get going, but I think that the show cares way more about ratings than how healthy the contestants are, etc.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #32

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Back when TBL was still new, I wanted to do the show. I thought it would be so helpful to get away from the real world for a while and focus on what it would take for me to lose this weight. But as the seasons progressed, we did learn less and less about their nutrition. Also, is it realistic for me to spend 8+ hours a day in the gym? No! I have a family and a job that require my attention as well.

I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long. I'd love to see a show where they highlight past contestants and how they are handling being back in the real world, working, and dealing with families while trying to lose or maintain weight.

CourtneyDaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #33
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

I think they get more sponsorship from 24hr fitness than from the food providers. That equates to more time spent showing workouts. TBLUK is a bit of a dead loss because we have tough laws against product placement, all advertising must be clearly shown as advertising unless it's direct sponsorship where it's specified that it's a sponsorship agreement. Those little silly moments where Bob shows a grown adult how to put something into a Ziplock bag would not be allowed. So, no ads no money, low budget show.

I often wonder if they go and throw up after the temptations, and if you didn't do it on purpose but you felt so ill after you'd dieted hard for weeks and were working out like crazy and then you ate loads of cookies and you threw up anyway then are they going to accuse you of doing it on purpose? I know that if I were playing that game then I'd eat the calories to win the temptation then go to the toilet and think about lard and tomatoes till it all comes out again.

They probably don't want us to see the diet because people at home would try to copy it without the level of medical supervision the contestants have access to. Only calorie count I remember being specifically revealed on the show was one of the two sets of Tongan cousins, I think it was Sam from Sam and Koli, because he's very tall he gets the most calories in the house and he was on 1,800, which doesn't seem a lot for a guy over 6 feet tall working out at that pace.

Like any other "reality" show it's all manipulation. If you pick a person who has been an athletic teenager then it's very easy for their body to remember that and return to a previous state of being athletic. I was very strong and fit around puberty and I think my body recognises that as I immediately bulk up if I start to exercise a bit, but some of my friends who were skinny at school lift weights for months and still look skinny. You pick the "characters" and manipulate the edit footage to portray everyone the way you chose, and anyone who forgets that that is the way reality TV works is in line for a big upset.

OTOH if the show can keep its secrets secret and inspire thousands of people to follow suit and lose the weight then it's still positive, at least it's not just one of those shows we are knee deep in here in the UK where some unpleasant shrew/man-b&*h comes around to a fat person's house to shout at them for being fat and tell them how disgusting they are. Like we don't already look in the mirror and feel that, like being yelled at by a woman who weighs the same as the average bag of popcorn is remotely helpful, it's more the fear of being shown on TV not succeeding and the fact they only follow them for something silly like 8 weeks that makes the difference, not the shrew and her devilishly brilliant diet plan.

I must have a search around the web for an episode of something like this where the woman tells the diet coaches what she really thinks, tells them she thought she was going to learn something new, not be told off like a child and then given the earth-shattering information that she should eat vegetables. It's a good slap for the show, and I'm glad they decided to show it rather than put it on the cutting room floor.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #34

Why would they hand out the diet information for free when the have the website you pay to get the information and books with the plan? They are a business.

There regain record is no worse than with any other diet. They work under medical supervision so you cannot do the program like they do at home safely. They do show people after they have left the show and how they get exercise in.

Exercise does not burn as many calories as you think. Just run the numbers sometime. They work with the trainer 1-2 hours a day and all other exercise is whatever they want to do. These are big people and the calorie deficiet from food is hefty. Woman are on 1200 and men 1500 calories.

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #35

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i used to really like that show, but the last time i saw it, Jillian was acting so ridiculous i had to shut it off. It was like the Jillian show! She was lecturing someone about how most people would just die for an hour of her time and they have it for free! Who wants to watch that attitude? i'd much rather watch the food network and learn how to make a new dish
then again-i don't watch much on network tv anymore!
-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #36
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Why would they hand out the diet information for free when the have the website you pay to get the information and books with the plan? They are a business.

... They work under medical supervision so you cannot do the program like they do at home safely.
Precisely, the OP is asking for them to show us what the contestants eat on the ranch. You can buy a book which advises you what to eat at home, but that is not the information she's(?) after, the request is "we would love to see what the real contestants on the show are actually eating, how much of it, when, do they really eat the sponsors' food?" not "I'd like to see for free what is inside the Biggest Loser book which does not contain the information about what the show's contestants ate because it's a 100% different program designed for a majority audience without the same level of medical supervision and does not invididualise the meal plans to specific contestants". That's comparing apples with oranges.

Now if you could buy a book called "What the different named contestants ate during their time on the ranch" then that's economic sense in not telling the information for free, but this is not an issue of giving the information away for free, it is an issue of transparancy, they put so much emphasis on the workouts as if that's really what makes the difference. Marines week was a good demonstration that you can work out all day long and gain weight if you aren't watching what you are eating, but they hardly talk about the food.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #37

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyDaisey View Post

I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long. I'd love to see a show where they highlight past contestants and how they are handling being back in the real world, working, and dealing with families while trying to lose or maintain weight.
There is a show called Fit Nation. It's on the FIT TV Channel. It's pretty good. They go into peoples homes . Throw out food, help them shop, show them how to workout in the gym and at home. You get real people. (I Have Time warner Cable. ) Also on the fit tv channel is loads and loads of workout videos that you can watch ON DEMAND FOR FREE.

They also have a website it's http://fittv.discovery.com/
Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #38
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyDaisey View Post
..... But as the seasons progressed, we did learn less and less about their nutrition. Also, is it realistic for me to spend 8+ hours a day in the gym? No! I have a family and a job that require my attention as well.

I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long.
Theoretically, you are right, but this aspect does not bother me. Although the contestants are REAL people, this is not their real life. They are on a ranch, i.e. away from their homes, and their only "job" is to lose weight. They don't have to worry about getting groceries, carting kids to school, overseeing homework, doing household chores, etc. (I have to admit it is not entirely clear to me how much cooking they do. I didn't start watching until Season 5 and sometimes they show them cooking, but I don't know if they have to prepare all their meals and how the whole cooking thing works, including who is doing the selection of groceries, etc.).
If the show was to be realistic, i.e. to live real life and exercise 1 hour a day, it would not be The Biggest Loser. There already are shows like that, for example both shows with Tommy Europe (The Last 10 Pounds, and the bridal show [the name escape me right now] - where he is working with a bride-to-be who is a little bit too large for her already purchased wedding dress and the wedding is in a month or so).

I don't know why I would obsess over not being spend 8 hours a day in a gym - I would not want to. And of course, I don't expect to loose 8 lbs in a week (even though we know that the week on the show is longer than an actual week). People have to scale their expectations down based on what they are doing and on their own personal eating habits.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #39
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I think everything is pre-planned for them and or even cooked for them!
The show WANTS them to lose weight!

What I think the show lacks is PsychoTherapy. Really these people like all of us need counseling to dig into their obesity. It's such a mental game. Jillian fills that role and I love her for that, but seriously get a profressional therapist in there already!
I Lost 150lbs in 1yr 11months-maintaining for over 14months now! Calorie Counting taught me portion control - I became a Runner- It was NOT easy- A lot of sweat, blood and tears but now I run Marathons I love Running - and not just what it has done for my body but what it has done for my soul. I online coach new runners and those losing weight with a holistic approaches to healthier living!
You Can Find my Work-outs, Recipes and Running while losing tips here
www.CalorieCountingRunnerGirl.com/
Facebook "Like" CalorieCountingRunnerGirl
http://www.facebook.com/CalorieCountingRunnerGirls
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #40

S/C/G: 169/169/125

Height: 5'7"

what a great show idea!! to follow the at home contestants(one's who have to go to work) and see what really goes on!! and you're right not just workouts for hours but FOOD!! cause isn't that the REAL problem!!!
chubbychick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #41

S/C/G: 285/165/135

Height: 5'10

I personally love the biggest loser. The problem is that, yes, they have done a very good job at making it look difficult.. so rather than being an inspiration, many people now use the show as a crutch. "Sure, I could do it too if I had 8 hours a day.." and then never just do it themselves. I was guilty of the same thing. Honestly, though, just because we all don't have 8 hours a day doesn't mean we can't do the exact same thing only at a bit slower and much healthier pace. It really is just exercise and a balanced calorie-aware diet.
The really great thing about biggest loser that I love is that rather than seeing a gradual process in yourself that can be frusterating and hard to notice for a while, you get to see what major weight loss looks like sped up. I find that very motivating. As for the food part, I don't really mind that they don't show it. Exact types of food is a preference. You should never be following what someone else eats or tells you to eat. That is a diet and a diet is temporary. Healthy living is finding what foods you like, and if some of them are unhealthy, research ways to make healthier versions.
Lynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #42

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn89 View Post
I personally love the biggest loser. The problem is that, yes, they have done a very good job at making it look difficult.. so rather than being an inspiration, many people now use the show as a crutch. "Sure, I could do it too if I had 8 hours a day.." and then never just do it themselves. I was guilty of the same thing. Honestly, though, just because we all don't have 8 hours a day doesn't mean we can't do the exact same thing only at a bit slower and much healthier pace. It really is just exercise and a balanced calorie-aware diet.
The really great thing about biggest loser that I love is that rather than seeing a gradual process in yourself that can be frusterating and hard to notice for a while, you get to see what major weight loss looks like sped up. I find that very motivating. As for the food part, I don't really mind that they don't show it. Exact types of food is a preference. You should never be following what someone else eats or tells you to eat. That is a diet and a diet is temporary. Healthy living is finding what foods you like, and if some of them are unhealthy, research ways to make healthier versions.
you hear that so many times, oh I could do that too if I was there. Meaning since I'm not there I can't do it. But look at all the family members who lose weight at home and lose almost as much as those on the ranch! last season someone's cousin lost just as much weight as the women on the ranch were losing. Even more than some.

Last night one contestant went home and had lost only 2 pounds more than her husband had who was at home the whole time.
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #43
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I am addicted to the show but I know it's not good. I am always annoyed that I never hear more about what they are doing and eating so I could model some stuff after them.... except apparently enjoying sugar free jello and subway. I know to lose the kind of weight they are losing, they are probably employing unhealthy habits... dehydration and the like. Unlikely a little tiny girl lost 5 lbs of fat in a week, just saying.

On a side note the philosophies taught on this show, lose weight as fast as you can, IS NOT HEALTHY!!! This is reflected in how disgusting former contestants skin becomes. If you have like 200+ lbs to lose like many of the contestants, realistically, at a healthy weight loss rate it should take them 1-2 years to get it off depending on the circumstances.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #44

S/C/G: 261.9/220.2/160

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I had read the information on Kai Hibbard just recently and had wondered if there was any new information on her, like consequences for her speaking out. But I haven't been able to find anything. I know if what she said is true, I really have no more use of The Biggest Loser.
kewkew34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #45

I love the show and watch every season. I just like to see the transformations and I must admit that it gives me inspiration to see a 500 pound man run on a treadmill. BUT, having said all of that, the show is not realistic and all of the contestants keep repeating what the previous seasons contestants say "you can do this too" well, yeah if I had the time to work out like they do I would lose faster too. On the other hand, they have never shown their diet plan. Even before the books and so forth they never disclosed exactly what they eat. My take on this is that it's probably not safe for your average American. The calories are probably even lower than what they would have you believe as it's a competition and it just isn't safe to say on national television what they are actually eating as it could be dangerous to the average Joe watching TV and not being under a doctor's care like they are. Also, we have learned a lot from some of the past contestants who have said that the "weekly" weigh ins aren't weekly. Some have even gone two weeks but they still say a week.

Oh and the injuries and how the producers push them. There is so much we don't know about. I still will watch the show. I can't help myself

St. Patrick's Day Challenge on Atkins Board.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.