The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #91  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

The Frado/Brandon clique drives me nuts. I can't stand Frado's screaming either. He behaves is if was in labour ... without an epidural.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #92  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
The Frado/Brandon clique drives me nuts. I can't stand Frado's screaming either. He behaves is if was in labour ... without an epidural.
I am so with you on that. I was hoping to see Brandon go home week before last. He just bugs me. And I don't think I screamed that loud having DS who came so quick there was no time for epidural. I'll have to check with DH though LMAO
Old 10-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #93  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I LOVE Ada. I'm totally rooting for her this season. I fell in love with her in Episode 1 and she's only made me love her more since. Unfortunately, her success makes her a LARGE target as a "threat" to the other contestants. I figure as soon as they get the opportunity, she'll be packing her bags.

Is anybody else getting REALLY annoyed that women have such a disadvantage? I remember one year, Jillian said that although women could be given a handicap, it would take away from their victory. I could see that. But... ugh, it's just so frustrating.

I hope a girl wins this season. (But I'd say that about every season )
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #94  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
What really sucks is that they got their wish, at the expense of Rick. I loved Rick- he was a classy guy and didn't get into that alliance crap. Burns me that the clique won, and you just know damn well that Ada, Anna, and Elizabeth will all be gone if they lose the next three weeks.

I really love and relate to Elizabeth. I feel so sorry for her- she's at a slight disadvantage, with not having as much to lose as some of other women on the show, not to mention, she has bad asthma. I have it, too, and can relate to her struggles with breathing. It isn't fun. I keep rooting for her every week to make it, and every week she has to do a challenge or face elimination like tonight.

I thought Anna did a wonderful and fair job of picking the teams tonight. It's too bad she didn't give immunity to someone like Liz or Jessica, the ones who can't seem to lose too much weight. Picking Patrick was kind of like nailing the coffin for everyone on the black team, with Frado and Brendan choosing to throw the weigh in to get him on the team. I still don't believe Brendan didn't water load, sorry. He had his toes crossed or something, even Ali didn't believe him!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #95  
Token Vulcan

I think it was disingenous to keep saying on the show that those 5 people did it all at home by themselves when they actually spent some time at Fitness Ridge. They were posting blogs and photos.

Ada is a dichotomy. On the one hand, there's some sympathy there for her over being blamed by her parents for the deaths of 2 brothers and near-death of the 3rd. On the other hand, she is rather cold and unsympathetic when it comes to Elizabeth, whom see she sees as the weak link that's dragging the team down. It was her first thought when they ended up on the black team together.

I couldn't quite fathom at first so many of them taking Rick out. But then I remember it was Patrick himself who foreshadowed it, when he mentioned that, with the addition of Anna, they (green) were the only team with 3 people. I think Frado, Brendan and possibly Ada together came to the conclusion that the greenshirts had a bond and wouldn't vote one another out first. I also think Brendan and Frado are of the somewhat machismo mind that they (including Patrick) could carry the team in challenges if Anna and Elizabeth can't hack it.

Is it just me or has practically every yellow shirt female after Colleen (and not including her) been rather whiny? Aubrey, who guilted people into feeling sorry for her. Sunshine, who cried every time she didn't win a challenge or weigh-in, as though she deserved it for just being so gosh-darn special. And now Elizabeth.

It's interesting that Anna did what Michael did last season, to a point. He was in the same position of picking the teams and choosing immunity and he, too, gave immunity away. But the contestants weren't strangers to him anymore and he stacked the teams and gave immunity to O'Neal, who was a liability in terms of not being able to do challenges too well. Anna gave immunity to a strong contestant whom both teams wanted. And, in both cases, the odd-player out ended up the chooser's team.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 10-19-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #96  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

this was my first episode of this season. didn't watch much of last season.
i really like anna.

i hate all this game playing baloney. i hate when people have to get voted off, in 99% of cases.
we should be able to just watch them all. everyone stays 3 mo. or whatever.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #97  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

I really love this show, and have watched most episodes except for one ( a few weeks ago). Unforunately, I won't be able to watch it on tv because I work now at that time. I need to find a way to download it (can't watch it on abc because I'm not in the US). Any ideas?

I like Ada and feel sorry for her. I also think that Elizabeth may not get far in this challenge because of her asthma, but she is working harder every week. Frado/Brandon will work together till the end. The cliques that are forming will be important in the end.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #98  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

what about using something like hulu?
i always want to watch it, sometimes the schedule just isn't right on tuesdays. and they don't replay shows on nbc like on other channels.

i really liked tara. she did it rigjt i thought. keep winning challenges and weigh ins.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

I liked Ada up until tonight. Honestly I think she is just getting really cocky. I mean, her story is as sob as any of theirs, I guess, but the fact that she is constantly losing these 10lbs a week, she was right in what she said before, it's going to stop somewhere.

I think Rick getting voted off was sort of ridiculous. He did great on his own, but I thought it was just kind of odd.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
I really love and relate to Elizabeth. I feel so sorry for her- she's at a slight disadvantage, with not having as much to lose as some of other women on the show, not to mention, she has bad asthma. I have it, too, and can relate to her struggles with breathing. It isn't fun. I keep rooting for her every week to make it, and every week she has to do a challenge or face elimination like tonight.
I'm really fond of Elizabeth too, she's one of my favorites. I think I have sympathy for her because of her abusive backstory, and I can't imagine having to live in the sort of situation where she was probably constantly told that she was all these horrible things, and now she's out of that and even with her asthma she's still losing weight every week, which, even though her numbers aren't comparable to TBL cast, when I compare her losses to mine at home, they're outstanding. So I think she is still doing a remarkable job. I wish, just for one week, she wouldn't have to plead her case.

Something about the preview for next week makes me think that she lost a bigger number. Anyone else see that?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 145/143/115

Height: 5'2

Jojo
You can watch US tv shows on fastpasstv.com for free. It might take a day or two for the current episode to appear.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Ada is a dichotomy. On the one hand, there's some sympathy there for her over being blamed by her parents for the deaths of 2 brothers and near-death of the 3rd. On the other hand, she is rather cold and unsympathetic when it comes to Elizabeth, whom see she sees as the weak link that's dragging the team down. It was her first thought when they ended up on the black team together..
Totally agree with you about Ada. Found her to be really cold toward the "weaker" contestants. I think she'd better watch herself, though, because she is the biggest female "threat" for the Brenden/Frado/Patrick triad. She might be leaving soon.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

I also wanted to see the other 3 that got a chance to come back but lost to Anna how they look today, or to see their progress. It was just "sorry, go home. Bye-Bye".

Maybe the website has some updates?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #104  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
What really sucks is that they got their wish, at the expense of Rick. I loved Rick- he was a classy guy and didn't get into that alliance crap. Burns me that the clique won, and you just know damn well that Ada, Anna, and Elizabeth will all be gone if they lose the next three weeks.
Ditto here. I was rooting for Rick as he struck from the very beginning as a very nice person. IMHO, he looked the worst of the whole bunch. I am not saying that he needed to lose the weight any more than the others, it's just that the weight on him accumulated mostly in his midsection in the form of a huge spare tire (although this made him a bigger risk for something like heart attack? visceral fat and all that jazz).
I am blown away by how nicely he did on his own. Yay to Rick!!
He has such a lovely wife - and she is so delightfully lean (I envy her LOL).

I admit that I never had the hots for Brendan but his reasoning why he decide to vote off Rick made me furious. I just hope that one day Frado will kick HIM off the island because he would turn to be a big threat or something. The sooner both of them (Frado and Brendan) go, the better. But unfortunately, it will be a while.

I am on the fence regarding Ada. I admired her for having such good results so far, but her constant harping about Elizabeth really put me off.
And speaking of Elizabeth - I have been keeping my fingers crossed for her, due to her asthma being an extra hurdle. By the way, how did you ladies feel when Jillian started playing shrink in one of the previous episodes and told Elizabeth that her asthma is all in her head. Did anybody buy it???

Anna - I really like her. I had no idea she and the others who were brought in trained somewhere (all I know is from watching teh show - which is hardly an entire episode - and from you guys post here) but I guess the training was not as gruelling as on the ranch, which is totally understandable. I hope she will be able to keep pace - I think she made a mistake by joining the black team but of course she could have known.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #105  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct2007 View Post
Jojo
You can watch US tv shows on fastpasstv.com for free. It might take a day or two for the current episode to appear.
I'm in Ontario also but can't seem to watch without registering my cell phone number to win an ipod is this a must do to watch a video?