The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #61  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Did you ever notice most of the women are great whiners and then men just get it done.

Well Said QiVA!
I am not of the mind it is "not fair" it was just odd to me that all (but 1) of the women fell below that line.

Also, I am not sure if it was an intentional shove but they were all running twards a target instead of in lanes, someone was bound to get shoved.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #62  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Some of you seem to forget that women have been the BL as many times as men. Since it is based on % and most of the men have much more than the women to lose, its fair as it can be. You could say they should have different divisions for age as well. What they are doing is fine. Did you ever notice most of the women are great whiners and then men just get it done.

Sorry, no. Out of the previous nine seasons of the BL men have taken the top prize 6 times. Women have won only 3 times. And while the men are generally bigger women have hormonal issues that make it harder for them to lose the same % of weight even when size differences are taken into account.

The show has always been stacked in favor of the men.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #63  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I really do like this show, although I do have issue with several things. The massive weight losses each week seem unhealthy....but I guess it's better than being so overweight? It's Hollywood, so it's about money...not the people.

Also, I don't like that they have to get weighed with their shirts off. Come on now! It's like they're parading them in a way that I think is unfair. I know that they weigh them off camera anyway and that this is just a formality....as far as I have heard. Either way, a shirt would add some dignity, imho.

Will I keep watching? Yes. I wish there were teams so that they'd mix up sexes, ages, larger and smaller people, etc. I just like it better because there's more going on.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #64  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaP View Post
Remember Corey . . . the guy from Portland that collapsed during the mile run in episode one? The Biggest Loser sent him to Fitness Ridge. http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser...corey/1251826/
Thanks for posting the link. I'm happy that they gave him the opportunity to do something to change his life.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #65  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

Geez, it's not Tuesday yet? Guess I'll have to finish watching old BL Australia until then :-D
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Jillian was getting on my nerves last night. It is not scientifically proven that men lose weight faster than women because of their muscle to fat ratio is considerably higher than a woman's?

That is why in past seasons before they started the couple's format, teams were made of men and women so there wouldn't be that advantage. I don't like the way they are doing it this year because I think the deck is stacked against the women. Then Jillian, instead of pointing that fact out, blames the women for their lack of dedication? crazy!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #67  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Men do lose weight easier than women for a variety of reasons - muscle:fat ratios, hormones - they have a higher level of testosterone, estrogen for women can hinder weight loss.

I agree, last night's episode got on my nerves too and I'm thinking I may not watch for a few weeks and just catch up on them during the weekend with On Demand.

I am glad Tina was voted off though. I think Adam will be one to watch - he seems like a quiet guy taking it all in and really working hard to get the weight off.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 191/191/160

I'm also glad Tina got voted off, she got on my nerves.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #69  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I agree that teams really need to be made. While the extra challenge for those under the yellow line is interesting, I would prefer to see some team competitions so we can see some people work together, versus everyone against each other.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #70  

Height: 5'5

I like the everyone for themselves format. I was a bit disapointed though last night that they didn't have a surprise weigh in like the first time. I think the weigh ins would be a lot more honest. I've heard they do things like get really dehydrated to pull a bigger number. And that guy with immunity, it was pretty clear he had bloated himself up so he could get a better number next week.

The endless scenes of them being working out and getting yelled at, not to mention puking are overdone though. I don't know why this show can't be an hour. I start watching it on pvr after 9 still finish at 10 fastforwarding through a lot of that. don't seem to miss anything lol
Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #71  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I will keep in mind that there is a lot we don't see and yes we do see the women working out with Bob and jill but maybe they are not working out in the off time while the men are. so I will reserve on Jills comments about the women. I agree that for some, especially with the medication/and medical issues these people have the WL can be even harder. Living it right now so I have a compassion.

I do like the chance to fight after being below the yellow line heart can count for something right?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #72  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I'm starting to really have a problem with the Biggest Loser. It's really sad to see people crying because they "only" lost 12 lbs, and not only be sad that they might go home - but disappointed in themselves. And, honestly? There is NO reason for people to be working out until the puke or fall off a treadmill or faint - NO reason. The trainers really should be ashamed of themselves. I don't know if I can hang in with them this season.
This.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #73  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Did you ever notice most of the women are great whiners and then men just get it done.
Not really. What sticks out in my mind most re: whiners this season is one guy whining about his mother that died, and another guy whining about dumping the love of his life.

They all whine. I'm tired of it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #74  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I thought the most recent episode was obnoxious, but I know me...addicted to the end.

I agree that Jillian was rough on the women, but I also agree with L144S that we don't know why she was that way. Surely Jillian is better trained on such issues than we are! However, it disappoints me that the message that gets sent to struggling women everywhere is that if you're not dropping 10+ pounds every week it's because you're not trying. Especially when they show images of them working out to the point of exhaustion and nausea. I do not like that message...at all.

And what a group of whiners this time!! They want to go home? What? They're NOT game players? Really?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #75  
Ilene the Bean

Eliana -- I agree, what a bunch of whiners!!! And they want to go home?!?!? Geez, didn't they know the concept of the show But I have to keep watching