The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #241  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I really wanted Ada to win. I definitely thought she could have lost more weight than she did. Oh well.

Mark looked really good though.
Ada couldn't have lost enough a percent of her body to win. Her start weight was 240 pounds. 50% of that would be 120. At 5'6" that would put her at a BMI of 19.6.

Patrick started out at 400 pounds. 50% for him would have been 200 pounds. AT 6'2" that would put him with a BMI of 25.7.

This is where the competition gets largely unfair. You can lose more percentage if you start at a higher weight.

I thought most of them looked fantastic! Lisa was a huge shock. I was very encouraged by their weights because they looked awesome at higher weights! I couldn't believe Lisa weighed in at 190! Her weight, Ada's weight and Elizabeth's weight really brought home the idea that strength training does a body good, but throws BMI charts out the window!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #242  

Height: 5'5

I'm really hoping that with the new format next season and more contestants they have less time to show them puking and getting yelled at in the gym lol
Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #243  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Ada couldn't have lost enough a percent of her body to win. Her start weight was 240 pounds. 50% of that would be 120. At 5'6" that would put her at a BMI of 19.6.

Patrick started out at 400 pounds. 50% for him would have been 200 pounds. AT 6'2" that would put him with a BMI of 25.7.

This is where the competition gets largely unfair. You can lose more percentage if you start at a higher weight.

I thought most of them looked fantastic! Lisa was a huge shock. I was very encouraged by their weights because they looked awesome at higher weights! I couldn't believe Lisa weighed in at 190! Her weight, Ada's weight and Elizabeth's weight really brought home the idea that strength training does a body good, but throws BMI charts out the window!
Yep, I figured Ada never really had a shot because she just never had as much to lose. She's my height so it was interesting to have someone to care with as the season progressed. Honestly, she has a bit of pudge around the waist but really, there isn't much more for her to lose so I don't think it was ever very realistic for her to win.

One thing that always makes me sad about the finales is the difference between the men and the women. It's just not fair how much quicker the guys lose! The guys all come out and are pretty close to their healthy BMI range whereas even though all of the women lost a ton (I think they all lost at least 70lbs or more, right?) most of them still had a ways to go still. Sometimes I really wish they would do a separate show for the women and the men (and maybe weigh-in the women every other week or every 1.5 weeks at least so they have more time). It just killed me to see all those women at the beginning of the season feel defeated all the time because of that stupid yellow line. I think it set the tone for the whole season.

Yep, and Lisa definitely gets the prize in my mind for the biggest shocker at the finale! She looked great for 190 (I think her height really helped to pull that off too!).

One thing, I wished, though, is that they'd catch up with the contestants again down the road because I'd love to see what they all look like at their goal weight.

Oh, one more thing!! It's interesting for me to see other women at my weight (there were quite a few close to 200). It's just crazy how differently all of them carried 200. Many times I'd try to guess someone's weight before they stepped on the scale and sometimes I'd think someone was certainly a lot heavier than another contestant and it turned out they were less. Granted, height has a lot to do with it but it also goes to show I have no clue how to guess someone's weight!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #244  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I absolutely agree, runningfromfat, that it's so unfair. Poor women! (To be honest, the reason I joined 3FC is because it has a LARGE majority of women, so we're all in the same boat.)

I'm pretty discouraged about TLB since, as Eliana pointed out, Ada didn't have a snowball's chance to win this thing. That's not so fair The women who have won in the past, turned out to be VERY VERY thin without an inch of fat to pinch (like an Olympic athletic body), but the men don't usually get down to that extreme level of fitness (not to say they don't get fit! They just don't look like Olympic athletes).

Did anyone see watch all the previews for the next season? They really are trying to get them bigger and bigger! I'm interested in seeing the former athlete play. Former athletes tend to be crazy-great at losing the pounds
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #245  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix View Post
I absolutely agree, runningfromfat, that it's so unfair. Poor women! (To be honest, the reason I joined 3FC is because it has a LARGE majority of women, so we're all in the same boat.)

I'm pretty discouraged about TLB since, as Eliana pointed out, Ada didn't have a snowball's chance to win this thing. That's not so fair The women who have won in the past, turned out to be VERY VERY thin without an inch of fat to pinch (like an Olympic athletic body), but the men don't usually get down to that extreme level of fitness (not to say they don't get fit! They just don't look like Olympic athletes).

Did anyone see watch all the previews for the next season? They really are trying to get them bigger and bigger! I'm interested in seeing the former athlete play. Former athletes tend to be crazy-great at losing the pounds
Ha, ITA about 3FC! If DH actually puts his mind to it (not happening right now...) the pounds just melt off of him, for me it's a much bigger struggle! It helps too for him he craves salty food and not sweet so something like the south beach diet is perfect for him.

Yep, and good point. Michael last season had a long ways to go still. He looked GREAT but he definitely needed to continue with his journey. Patrick this year didn't look like he was in the same shape ADA was either. I wonder if they could set goal weights for the contestants and then see who gets their quicker or who gets closest and that picks the winner? But I still think separating by gender would be best (seriously because TOM can kill your weigh-in!).

Lol about the former athletes. I'm a former athlete (ok not professional but I did play college soccer) and I sure wish the pounds were coming off quicker.

ETA: I don't think Jillian would EVER go for the gender split. I think she's throw a huge tantrum about it, actually... She really puts a lot of pressure on the women and except them to lose at the same rate as the guys.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 12-18-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #246  

Height: 5'5

what if they picked a body fat percentage? like 12% body fat ( I just pulled that number out of my @ss I have no idea what an ideal body fat % is)

the person who gets closest to the goal wins? Probably not as dramatic as weighing them though.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #247  

How do you account for the women that have won? Some of the at home contestants only lost 35-40 pounds - not even trying since most of that came off at the ranch. I predict Elizabeth will gain it all back quickly.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #248  

Height: 5'5"

Can i just say that i LOOOOOVED how Allison said, "by an overwhelming majority" when she announced that Ada was going to the final 3. i have a feeling Liz was not only NOT a fan favorite of the TV audience, but the people that worked on the set as well.

And i'm with you QuilterInVA...Liz will put all that back on within a year...EASY.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeluver67 View Post
Can i just say that i LOOOOOVED how Allison said, "by an overwhelming majority" when she announced that Ada was going to the final 3. i have a feeling Liz was not only NOT a fan favorite of the TV audience, but the people that worked on the set as well.

And i'm with you QuilterInVA...Liz will put all that back on within a year...EASY.
I noticed that too. And I think Elizabeth will have the weight back on soon.

Yay Ada the Terminator!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #250  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
what if they picked a body fat percentage? like 12% body fat ( I just pulled that number out of my @ss I have no idea what an ideal body fat % is)

the person who gets closest to the goal wins? Probably not as dramatic as weighing them though.
Hmm... but even that would be tricky because men have a lower ideal body fat percentage than women (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...ercentage.html scroll down a bit and there's a chart for the healthy ranges). You're also allowed to have more as you age...
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #251  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
How do you account for the women that have won? Some of the at home contestants only lost 35-40 pounds - not even trying since most of that came off at the ranch. I predict Elizabeth will gain it all back quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeluver67 View Post

Yep to both of these. Unfortunately, I think the weight's going to creep back on here again. I really wanted to like her because DH has asthma and I know first hand how scary that can be but she's just so... wimpy. It really drived me nuts throughout the season. It was nice to hear that Ada won out by a landslide.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #252  
WSN

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'9" (male)

I definitely agree that Elizabeth seems very likely to put the weight back on, she didn't lose much in the first place particularly given the fact she stayed on the ranch the entire time and she just repeatedly proved to be mentally weak. In fact I think amongst all the final contestants this season the only one who won't put the weight back on is Ada. I think Patrick and Brandon are almost certainly going to put it back on.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #253  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I don't think Patrick will put the weight on if he is working at wellspring.
Not a lot of hope for elizabeth either and I hope Ada hits her goal.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #254  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSN View Post
I definitely agree that Elizabeth seems very likely to put the weight back on, she didn't lose much in the first place particularly given the fact she stayed on the ranch the entire time and she just repeatedly proved to be mentally weak. In fact I think amongst all the final contestants this season the only one who won't put the weight back on is Ada. I think Patrick and Brandon are almost certainly going to put it back on.
I really do hope Ada sticks with it. I have a feeling since she worked through her issues with her parents that that is going to help significantly.

I was never a fan of Fredo... but I hope for the sake of his family that he keeps it off. But he was such a game player that I wonder how he will survive without the constant challenge.

Like L144S said, Patrick's job might really help him stay on track. I'm hoping the added motivation of having two small children will help him too.

Elizabeth... yeah,I hope she doesn't gain it back but it doesn't look nearly as promising.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #255  
Token Vulcan

I can see now when I mention about Mark being hot, I'm going to have to clarify whether I mean Mark from Season 5 or Mark from Season 10. Or both, lol. Actually, this Mark reminds me a little of Shane from Biggest Loser Australia. Both kind of quietly going about the business of losing weight, not much game playing and they turn up hunka hunka at the finale.

I don't see Frado gaining it back, not significantly. I don't think he wants to be back on meds again or do that to his family again.

There's been some speculation about whether Frado and Brendan were playing the game for Patrick to win. I don't really believe it but I might believe it of Frado. Brendan, not so much. I also think that, while Elizabeth was indeed a placeholder for them, Frado had actual affection for her. Again, Brendan not so much!

Jesse reminds me so much of Bernie Salazar (season 5).

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 12-22-2010 at 08:43 PM.