The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #61  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I don't know, this one really bugged me. I just don't think promoting losing 74 lbs in 2 months as something that's at all safe.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #62  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I agree with you eclispe....last night I was in shock. I was like 'Come on'...no one can do lose 9.25 lbs per week with just pure diet and exercise. She must have put her on some diet pills too. I'm sorry...last nights show was disappointing.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #63  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I haven't watched a full episode yet, I've only caught the endings for the past 2 weeks. I have to believe that Jillian doesn't yell at them ALL of the time, because the people that she has worked with (on this show, and on TBL) sure do love her. I would hope that it is just how it is shown. That being said, it is a little hard to watch her doing her "therapist" routine and talking them through whatever their issues are.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #64  

I missed the show last night. Does anyone know if they run a repeat another night of the week?

Someone lost seventy four pounds in eight weeks!!! There is no way that can be done in a healthy way.

Sherry
Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

The episodes are all on nbc.com!

I was shocked at her losing all that weight two but if she really buckled down and did a biggest loser cut the calories way down up the excercise she coulda had some big weeks like they did on the ranch but thats still a big number for 8 weeks...

Just wish we knew how it was done! That was what I liked about the show was it was THEM doing it not them on a ranch being PUSHED to do it!!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #66  

I was disillusioned with the herbal supplements Jillian was hawking but tried to think positive. I get the daily Jilliam Michaels dot com emails and was trying to decide to join or not. I stopped to look at the t-shirts and her website doesn't carry anything over an XL size. That told me volumes. It's about the money and not about getting healthy so I unsubscribed from her site and now looking at a new plan of action. Her site caters to skinny girls who yoyo those 20 lbs and not people like me who need to lose 120 lbs.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #67  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I think I would enjoy it if it wasn't trying so hard to tug on my heart strings. All the episodes I've seen so far are trying SO hard to make me cry (and succeed a little) and I just can't enjoy it. (And I like crying! I guess I'd rather have a more informative program than a weep-fest.) For example, in the first episode... I would have rather watched them work out in the gym, or outside, or cook than watch the husband and wife cry and talk about their deceased son...

Maybe that's just me though. If I wanted to watch something that'd make me sad, I'd change the channel over to Lifetime...

EDIT: I'd LOVE it if the show was more like It's Me or the Dog!! That show is very informative.

Last edited by Wild Vulpix; 07-08-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #68  
Token Vulcan

I didn't care much for the last episode, the one with the tribe. Despite the turnout at the walk and what the leader said about people were talking about changing the fry bread thing, I just don't think many people of the tribe were interested. I dunno, it just fell flat for me. And maybe it was edited out but it bothered me that there was such a big stink about Jillian throwing away food (okay, I get that it was insulting) and nothing about the fact that the kid threw food at her. I also didn't think the woman was that strong of a personality that she was going to able to bring about this tribal change she wanted. I dunno, I just felt like everybody probably went back about their business after the camera crew packed up and left and that only the family made any real change.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #69  
Jeri

I really think Jillian should have focused, with them, on healthier ways to make traditional foods. I've made fry bread before with just a little oil and whole grain flour and it was still very yummy. I think that would have been more effective than just throwing away a bunch of food and calling it poison. I didn't hink it was a big deal that the kid threw food at her - it seemed like they were both playing around.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #70  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

I kept waiting for Jillian to make tribal dancing into an enjoyable exercise. But that didn't happen. It would be interesting to go back and see how the tribe is doing.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #71  
Jeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMustard View Post
I kept waiting for Jillian to make tribal dancing into an enjoyable exercise. But that didn't happen. It would be interesting to go back and see how the tribe is doing.
I agree - I think there were so many things she missed the boat on here. She didn't seem to go in with any knowledge of their culture, and didn't seem interested in learning. She wasn't very culturally sensitive, at least not from what they showed us.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
I didn't care much for the last episode, the one with the tribe. Despite the turnout at the walk and what the leader said about people were talking about changing the fry bread thing, I just don't think many people of the tribe were interested. I dunno, it just fell flat for me. And maybe it was edited out but it bothered me that there was such a big stink about Jillian throwing away food (okay, I get that it was insulting) and nothing about the fact that the kid threw food at her. I also didn't think the woman was that strong of a personality that she was going to able to bring about this tribal change she wanted. I dunno, I just felt like everybody probably went back about their business after the camera crew packed up and left and that only the family made any real change.

I agree with this totally. I didn't like the ep and I HATED that the kid threw the food at her. I do not think they were "kidding" with each other at all. Pretty sure she was pissed (and embarrassed).

I agree that the tribe probably went back to their old habits as soon as Jillian & Co left.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

She seems so fake. I watched a few episodes, and when the family is crying, she looks like she's just acting. Badly.

Last edited by stella1609; 07-11-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #74  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have been recording and watching while I work out, which I find motivating. This was the first season for me to watch BL and that also was great for a workout show. But I have to say that I really dislike Jillian's personality as a trainer. And I hate the fake staging and drama of both shows. I would love to see some recap of past BL contestants to see how many managed to keep the weight off.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #75  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

The last episode got my mom to ditch the bleached enriched flour. I'm like "thank goodness" because I've been trynna figure out how to sneak in the wheat flour without her noticing.

"What do you think they bleach it with?"
"Bleach?"
"Yep. Wanna go do some laundry and have a cup together?"