The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #16  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I think there are some "free' foods like leafy greens.

I too have a BB, but they are looking for a 6000 calorie burn on the BB at th end of the day. these contestants are so monitored that I am sure it is safe AND 1200 calories is not unheard of especially if you limit carbs/fat which eat up calories faster than protien/ veggies and fruit giving one more volume for the calories. Also they are eating very high fiber.

I think the reason this diet is difficult to do at home is because this is the contestants job. they have nothing else todo but focus on the diet/lifestyle.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #17  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
This time I'm intentionally trying to lose slowly, and it does feel like a lot of people in my life think I'm crazy or "making excuses," and yet this is the longest time (by a factor of about ten) that I've ever gone without backsliding. But, I'm so much treated like the odd ball, that I do wonder if one of the reasons that slow weight loss isn't more common/popular is because people just assume that only fast weight loss is legitimate weight loss - anyone who does it slow is lazy or making excuses, or just not as serious and motivated as the quick loser.
Yes, definitely this ^^

Kaplods, don't listen to the naysayers. Since I deliberately chose the slow and steady route rather than the old fast and furious dieting approach, I too have been told that I wasn't serious about losing weight and getting healthy, that I was making excuses, that my plan was full of "nonsense and BS" (even by fellow 3FChicks). I'm now 150 pounds lighter, and could probably bench press half of those people.

Nevermind the snobs, do your thing.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #18  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ija View Post
Yes, definitely this ^^

Kaplods, don't listen to the naysayers. Since I deliberately chose the slow and steady route rather than the old fast and furious dieting approach, I too have been told that I wasn't serious about losing weight and getting healthy, that I was making excuses, that my plan was full of "nonsense and BS" (even by fellow 3FChicks). I'm now 150 pounds lighter, and could probably bench press half of those people.

Are you serious, people told you that? I have to admit I have found your posts intriguing, and decided to read more about your weight loss approach. According to your "new" beginnings post in January of 08 to your first 100 pounds lost post in November 08, in right around a years time you cranked off 100 pounds, then another 50 over the next 8 to 9 months. I surely wouldn't consider that slow, or a snails pace, that is rather a quick weight loss IMO.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #19  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Are you serious, people told you that? I have to admit I have found your posts intriguing, and decided to read more about your weight loss approach. According to your "new" beginnings post in January of 08 to your first 100 pounds lost post in November 08, in right around a years time you cranked off 100 pounds, then another 50 over the next 8 to 9 months. I surely wouldn't consider that slow, or a snails pace, that is rather a quick weight loss IMO.
Actually yes, someone on 3FC told me that.

By the way, I lost around 25-30 pounds in 2007, about 75 or so in 2008, and about 45-50 in 2009. Even in 2008 (when I lost weight quickly by my standards) it was less than 1.5 pounds per week. My total weight loss took well over two years. Does that really strike you as rapid?

My 'new beginnings' post was more about a change in my approach (or outlook, more accurately) than starting a new one. I had already lost some weight by then. And truthfully, I was pretty naive about losing weight when I started, and didn't deliberately begin to eat more until I took up weight lifting.

If only I had realized sooner...

Last edited by Ija; 09-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #20  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimothy View Post
They are eating 1200 calories a day. The 6000 to burn most likely includes their BMR as measured by their bodybuggs. The resting BMR for someone like Shay at 400 plus pounds is at least 2800 calories. They have to burn the difference which is 3200 calories. This means a deficit of 2000 calories a day (3200 less 1200 intake)
I think based on how the show works that this is what they are doing. It just sounds better if they say 6000.
haha i just heard bob say that and thought WHAT! lol

that makes total sense now!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I'm glad I saw this post! I thought that I must have heard wrong when he said that! But apparently not...it does make sense though, with the kind of weight they're losing.

I just can't imagine that. And I agree...how do they go into their real life and maintain. I wonder what the stats are on BL maintenance.

Also, for the 1200 calories, they're being heavily supervised, and I imagine that they are given supplements to make sure that they're getting all the nutrients they need. I would never want to have to do that!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

I think they are eating more than 1200 calories....if I'm not mistaken there was an episode last season where Bob had several of them work together on their meals for the day and track their calories....and Bob kept saying they weren't eating enough calories.....I will try to find that specific episode....but I remember him saying when they are working out the way they are they need more calories than someone at home who isn't working out 4-6 hours a day
Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ija View Post
Yes, definitely this ^^

I wish you had reported that post. If you can find it again, please do. 3FC is about support!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #24  
traveller chick

S/C/G: 80/79.5/65 (KG)

Height: 5'6''

I personally think that the show wouldnt create a bad environment , they know what they are doing , plus its a bit like by pass surgery, obese people loosing weight very fast so...
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #25  
GO RED TEAM!!!!!!!

Height: 5"8

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post
I think there are some "free' foods like leafy greens.

I too have a BB, but they are looking for a 6000 calorie burn on the BB at th end of the day. these contestants are so monitored that I am sure it is safe AND 1200 calories is not unheard of especially if you limit carbs/fat which eat up calories faster than protien/ veggies and fruit giving one more volume for the calories. Also they are eating very high fiber.

I think the reason this diet is difficult to do at home is because this is the contestants job. they have nothing else todo but focus on the diet/lifestyle.
I agree, if I were on the ranch and that was my job, I would lose far more then at home. Jillian has said on the show veggies are unlimited, so they are filing up on that and those contesants get in shape so fast because that's all they are doing.

BTW I love your beautiful dog Dixie I just won't to hug her. LOL

Last edited by IgetfitNStrongforme; 11-06-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #26  
GO RED TEAM!!!!!!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
haha i just heard bob say that and thought WHAT! lol

that makes total sense now!!!
Yeah jillian joked on her radio show that the contestants are tired hungry little suckers, because the women only get 1200 calories and the men get 1500 calories. Once a week they get 2000 calories as their slurge day. It's the 6000 calories to be burned in exercise a day that gets me.

Last edited by IgetfitNStrongforme; 11-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #27  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgetfitNStrongforme View Post
Yeah jillian joked on her radio show that the contestants are tired hungry little suckers, because the women only get 1200 calories and the men get 1500 calories. Once a week they get 2000 calories as their slurge day. It's the 6000 calories to be burned in exercise a day that gets me.
It is not hard for a 400+lb person to burn that much they burn 3,000 just being, and being active on top of that is not difficult, however the smaller you are the harder it is to burn that amount. the hard part frankly is the low calories but I am sure they are eating a very high fiber, low carb/low fat no salt and getting real amounts of food
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #28  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgetfitNStrongforme View Post
LOL! yah 1200 calories is really hard , i've done it on and off but can only manage it for a couple of days.

you are just hungry all the time!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #29  
GO RED TEAM!!!!!!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by L144S View Post
It is not hard for a 400+lb person to burn that much they burn 3,000 just being, and being active on top of that is not difficult, however the smaller you are the harder it is to burn that amount. the hard part frankly is the low calories but I am sure they are eating a very high fiber, low carb/low fat no salt and getting real amounts of food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
LOL! yah 1200 calories is really hard , i've done it on and off but can only manage it for a couple of days. you are just hungry all the time!
I am at about 1200 calories a day right now, so for me it would be 6000 calories from exercise, but everyone is different. I just read that men burn 26% more calories a day then women now that is unfair! LOL

Hey Echo it's Monte (Antonia's) birthday today.

Last edited by IgetfitNStrongforme; 11-07-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #30  
Fit by Spring Break!

S/C/G: 235/211/150

Height: 5'7"

That's the only way they can get those double digit pound losses per week...but as others have said, they are under medical supervision...probably not the smartest idea if you are going at it alone. They should really emphasize that on the show.

Personally, I think BL sets up unattainable expectations for people who are ignorant to the strategies of weight loss. I've found that most people I chat with BL about have no idea that it's not normal to lose 10 lbs. in one week..