3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing

The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

TBL Season 7 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #91

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Dan was running at 7mph. I think that is darn good for someone over 400 pounds.

I was shocked when I saw David ordering fries and hot dogs. It saddened me to see him sitting there and the whole family was obese. He needs to get back to the ranch.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #92

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I was really sad for Jerry, but I probably would have voted the same as everyone else for the same reasons. I was REALLY happy to see how great he looked in the interview after the show . . . he has really done well and so has Stella it was very inspirational.

I'm glad that Bob flipped out on Joelle. She kept making smart comments and was talking to get out of working out as hard as everyone else. She is afraid to push her body to the limit and I honestly don't think she ever has. I hope that the weigh-in made her realize that she needs to work harder and she really needs to start thinking about her teammate too!

I'm worried about David too . . .why would you go home and order fries and two hot dogs? Why did his family take him out to eat at a place like that? It was just confusing to me . . .
Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #93

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I have to think some of it is just plain not knowing better or being educated about it. I think there's a whole subset of us who could write our own diet book with our knowledge but haven't made it work for us, but there are still really some people out there who don't know the basics of good nutrition. Not that the info isn't out there, but they haven't done the reading or whatever and just keep living like they don't know WHYYY they're gaining all this weight.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #94

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Okay, the guy doing leg presses with the other guy sitting on the weight thingie? How cool was that?
that was completely awesome

Progress Pics http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...17#post2636417
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4197041-post1.html

The journey from your mind to your hands is shorter than you think
For Every 5lbs lost
I am more than I know myself to be R I P PANDORA
Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #95

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette k View Post
It is such a change from the last season. I loved the part of the challenge where they went back down the mountain and walked the boy from the orange team up to the finish. I hope they stay this way and not like the others.
I agree! I thought last Tuesday's episode was very good. With the exception of Joelle's lack of effort and the contestants commenting on that there doesn't seem to be any drama yet. When they helped Daniel finish up the mountain I was really happy to see such team work and encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather88 View Post
[color="DarkOrchid"]
I'm glad that Bob flipped out on Joelle. She kept making smart comments and was talking to get out of working out as hard as everyone else. She is afraid to push her body to the limit and I honestly don't think she ever has. I hope that the weigh-in made her realize that she needs to work harder and she really needs to start thinking about her teammate too!
I don't blame Bob for flipping out. Joelle has been the most needy on his team yet also putting in the least effort. There's only so much babying you can give someone before you get tired of their lack of effort. She honestly does not seem like she really wants to be there and also seems to have a lot of other issues (besides health) that she needs to address.

So far I'm much happier with this season than last.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #96
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 View Post
My thoughts exactly! If he can do it, so can I!!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #97
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Quite an episode. Nice to see most of the at home contestants are working hard. David was a disappointment though for sure with his fries and hot dogs. Ugh.

"Unless you faint, puke, or die keep walking!" --Jillian Michaels

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #98

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I missed the first hour of the show so I didn't see the contestants at home. I am sad to hear about David, my thought is that with the whole family being obese he really doesn't have the information he needs about nutrition. I wouldn't be suprise if he thought he was doing good because in the past he would have ordered 3 or 4 hot dogs and more than one order of fries. I sure hope that somehow things change for him.

I couldn't be happier for Jerry and Estelle, they looked absolutely great.

One dancing carrot for every 5 lbs. lost since my restart, at 221 lbs on 1/5/2009.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #99
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 View Post
Word! I've been on the TM for a year now and the fastest I can go with busting my butt is 5.5 and 6.0 if I am careful so that was awesome and it was a lot of effort. I can't believe someone here said he was working as hard as the others. I beg to differ! Plus he lost 30 lbs the week before. Week two has almost always been a bad WI for a lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather88 View Post
I was really sad for Jerry, but I probably would have voted the same as everyone else for the same reasons. I was REALLY happy to see how great he looked in the interview after the show . . . he has really done well and so has Stella it was very inspirational.

I am glad Bob went off on her because she is lazy and isn't putting forth the effort like everyone else is. How many of us here @3FC would LOVE to be on that show working out with Bob and Jillian? I know I would. It annoys me to see peeps there and making excuses and not putting forth the effort. Plus she talks WAY to much...Like in a weird way too. She's just plain weird to me. I laughed my butt off and was in shock when Bob lost it on her, and especially when he said he was possessed by Jillian! lol!

Sad to see Jerry go, but I agreed with the reasons, and he looks great! If anyone needs to go it's Joelle.

SB Bio
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #100
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Forgot to say this earlier....

The ONLY reason I want Joelle to stay on campus is so that Carla can come back. Otherwise, I could do without her poor me attitude.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #101

S/C/G: 261/148/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
The ONLY reason I want Joelle to stay on campus is so that Carla can come back.
Me, too! I thought Carla was a hoot and a half when they showed her at home dancing. She's got a great attitude, and it's too bad she's having to rely on Joelle.

We have some hometown contestants (the yellow team) on this season so that's kind of fun for me.

Women who behave rarely make history.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #102

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I think as with most people who struggle with weight Joelle has her issues. We all have struggles and its important to remember that. The only difference is everyone gets to see her shortcomings broadcast on tv.

In comparison to the other contestants and given the wonderful opportunity she is in, I agree she needs to put in more effort but a part of me understands the fear of pushing beyond what you perceive to be your physical and mental limits and wondering if you will fail. She mentioned several times the shame she feels about the way her life has turned out and the poor choices she has made and I think thats a big part of her problem and difficult to overcome in just a couple weeks on the ranch.

Did anyone see the past BL winner on Oprah talking about gaining back some of the weight and the embarrassment he felt. I guess thats the flip side of the life changing biggest loser experience, when you lose everyone is inspired but when you slip up everyone around you knows and people feel they have a right to comment because you were on television. I can't imagine having to live under that kind of microscope. Having people recognize you at the grocery store, the movies, the gym, a restaurant etc.. and the comments they would make based on the food choices you made or their perception of the intensity of your workouts. The snide comments people feel justified in making towards non reality show contestants are bad enough, I think the BL contestants, Ruby and others experience this to a greater extent.

Issues centered around weight are complex and given the personal experiences of many people around here it can't be hard to have some empathy for Joelle. Our anonymity shields us from public judgement but honestly who gives everything they can at every workout and doesn't make excuses about not eating right. Weight gain is a symptom of at the very least the inability to cope in an adaptive way that spills over into all aspects of our lives. Who here can't relate to that. I think Bob is the perfect person to help her and she needs someone who is willing to be tough with her as do a lot of us.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #103
Terminating Cellulite

S/C/G: 211.5 / See Ticker / 150 140

Height: 5' 7"

I was very sad to see Jerry go home, but they are right. Dan does need to stay.

And yes! His partner going home and heading straight for the Hot Dogs and Fries just blew my mind! It shows that He needs more education as to smart food choices. I hope someone provides that for him.

Joelle really made me angry. All he wanted was 30 seconds of running. She'd do 15 and cave - and then tell him she was giving him her all. If I were the trainer, I'd be angry too. And it made everyone mad because he did this military style. If one messes up, they all pay until she gets it right.

I think she may be of the mindset that a lot of people are in when they first start this weight loss journey. Few succeed because they don't want to put in the time and effort that it really takes to get there. Some go on a diet for 2 weeks. Some make it a month or two and call it good. To set your goal and stick with it until you reach that goal takes real commitment. I don't know if she is in the right frame of mind to get there. And I'm sure she won't be this season's winner.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #104

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I find it ironic that of all places, here on 3fc people actually feel anger towards Joelle. People don't only fail at weight loss because they don't put in the effort. Some people lack the time, resources, or knowledge to be successful. There is a strong correlation between obesity, poverty, and lack of education. The states that have the highest rates of obesity, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia etc.. also have the poorest least educated segment of the US population. Conversely, the more educated and financially stable you are the less likely you are to be overweight/obese.

For others there are complex psychological issues going on. I mean look at Dan at 19 to be that heavy there has to be some sort of dysfunctional element in his family that would allow for his weight to get to that point. At the very least, he has been exposed to poor eating/exercise habits his whole life and has developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. The task of losing 200+ lbs is daunting, I would not just say his current state is just due to a lack of effort. He has had the misfortune of being raised in an environment where clearly no one bothered to teach him and ensure he was making healthy choices. Other people are just fortunate enough not to have been raised in those circumstances and thats just by chance.

Ultimately for someone like Joelle its not about winning the show. If she is able to overcome her issues, lose the weight and view herself more positively then she has won. I just think when you start attributing all weight loss failure to a lack of effort you are leading into that whole overweight/obese people are lazy and lack will power. I just don't think its that simple.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #105
Empress/Queen

I think Joelle is afraid to really put herself out there and give it all she has because that's how she's learned to deal with problems. She said it herself, "I'll just fake it 'till I make it."

I think that's sad because actually she has a lot of weight to lose and the physical ability to really do well on this show, maybe even win.

I think she'll do better in the future.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.