The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #181  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yeah, I thought Aubrey was out of line getting all over Joelle. She hadnt been there, she didnt do the work at home either. I want to like Aubrey, but she annoyed me.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Agreed I thought it was very interesting how Aubrey said something to the affect that Joelle was making too many excuses for something like that. I do believe Aubrey made excuses when the two pounds she lost came up on the scale.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

What did yall think about Bob and Jillian jumping on Alison? She was trying to make Aubrey fell better about her 2 lbs, I thought it was a tad funny, but Alison is pregnant, you don't yell at the pregnant lady. I am surprised she didn't cry, I would have
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Joelle and her local trainer were on a Detroit news program this morning. She made several interesting comments. When ask about her time on the ranch and tranining with Bob, she said the she pushed herself to area's she never felt she could go. As far as her not losing any weight on this weeks show, she explained that last nights episode was acutally recorded in November, she went home for part of the time because her absentee ballot was lost, so she went home to vote. She said "Others went home for things they were passionate about". When ask about her relationship now with Carla, she said they were okay and said something about losing weight and going off medications for high blod pressure and diabetes caused a roller coaster of emotions. She said she and Carla were acquantances, they said they were best friends but they were acquantances when she ask Carla to go on the show.

The newscaster ask her trainer how she was doing now. Her trainer said "she has lost 60 lbs, she is reaching the goals she has set for herself" and then commented something about the numbers on the ranch being unrealistic at home.

It was interesting, the same Joelle attitude.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #185  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Willow, I would've cried too!

Wanna b thin: Joelle is really unbelievable. They really did not act like best friends on the show and especially after! I know if my best friend and I went on something like that, we would fight so hard to stay there. Nothing would get between us and we would probably end up being better friends than ever before. I understand now why things were that way. Joelle did it for the money and Carla got Joelle to be her teammate because of that. They were both selfish, in their own way. Too bad it didn't work out for Carla though...

I can't believe Jillian said something about losing inches is nothing when the scale doesn't move...I know it wasn't exactly like that, but she basically said that unless you are showing your weight loss on the scale, inch loss means nothing. Oh, and you can't gain muscle and lose weight?? That is a new one to me. What happened to muscle weighing more than fat. I'm so confused...

Last edited by aangel22; 02-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I thought Jillians comment was strange too. Although with 30 days of exercising 4 hours a day, she should have lost more unless she was still overeating a lot.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #187  
Token Vulcan

The drama this season is all over the place. Moreso than last season at this point, it seems.

I'm glad Joelle and Carla are gone. I could see both sides--I'd be mad if I was Carla busting my hump and getting nothing from Joelle but Joelle does not deserve the tirades and level of hostility she received, not just from Carla but everyone. This, to me, was just a case of 2 people who perhaps shouldn't be friends, shouldn't have done the show together, sent the wrong one home, etc. Just a bad scenario all the way around.

So back comes Mandi's (I deserve to go home because I have kids) sister Aubrey (I lost 2 pounds in 30 days but I'm still better than you) going off on Joelle. Pot, meet kettle.

Maybe it's just me (or the editing) but...I'm seeing some seething anger and braggadocio in Filipe that's putting me off. People always seem to paint black team that way because they seem to be always be cast with an alpha male team (I guess thinking of early Mark and Jay) but there was no black duo last season and this season...yeah, Blaine and Dane are big, strong guys, but, so far, I'm not seeing them be overly angry, aggressive or boastful for the camera. Heck, Dane barely talks and last night, they were hardly even on...although as soon as I saw them standing near the kitchen, I was like, here comes the commercial. And did you hear the actual Cheerios commercial later talking about the black team losing over 100 pounds, lol? You know, sometime after the Denny's commercial. Anyway, I like black team.

I think brown team is going to be around for a while yet, based on what I've read but I do feel sorry for Ron. You can tell he's been restricted with his workouts--he's hardly ever shown during them, and when he is, it's nowhere near the level of intensity of the others. He physically is not capable of doing some of the challenges (and BTW, that "ground shaking" effect they've been using, most recently when Ron fell last night, is just plain mean and in poor taste no matter what, and even more so in the context of this show). I do think he and Mike need to be there...like Dan, neither of them has known anything different and Ron needs to learn as much as Mike does. I'm curious, and maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this..but I'm guessing the look of Ron's folds on his stomach...that is from his surgery? If he loses weight, will he lose some of that?

I kinda liked it better before the players came back. Last night I felt like the focus was on a few teams while others were hardly on.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 174/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I think it is absolutely amazing that Dane/Blaine have lost 140 lbs between them.

I can see the other side of Aubrey's little tirade with Joelle. Aubrey went home, she wasn't successful. She knows what a gift it is to be on the ranch and able to focus solely on her needs--to get healthy. She didn't come back to the ranch complacent. She showed that she appreciated what a gift it is. Joelle just took the gift for granted. (Am I reading it right that Joelle was the one who talked Carla into coming on the show?) Nobody else was standing up for Carla. Typically it's the partner of the person who has their back, but no one had Carla's. It seemed like Aubrey and Carla had developed some sort of relationship. And Aubrey was standing up for her. Aubrey seems to respect Carla, wanted her to get a chance, and didn't feel like it was fair for her partner to blow it for her. I don't blame her--I didn't either. It burns me when I think of the people who would do just about anything to get the chance to really concentrate on themselves like that, and Joelle basically said, 'pffftttt. Whatever.'
Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #189  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I'll admit I was kind of hoping they would pull a twist like they did last season to keep Colleen from going home with her dad. Something like "tonight you have to vote off 2 of the 4 people below the yellow line, but they dont have to be teammates" Then Joelle and Ron could have gone home and Mike and Carla could have stayed. I dont have anything against Ron, but he is going to keep pulling Mike down and unless the teams split up soon its not going to last long.

I still dont LIKE carla, but I respect her work. But yeah, her screaming at Joelle got very old, very fast. Carla is not a person I could be friends with. Because she was pretty selfish and unsupportive of Joelle too. And, while she was doing ok, lets face it, 9 lbs on her size wasnt going to keep her there either.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #190  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I'm glad Joelle is gone as she really did bring everyone else down.

I was pretty disappointed in Jillian for her comment about the inches as I was taught (I took classes to become a personal trainer, just didn't have enough time to finish before graduating) that everyone gets to a certain point where the muscle gain is more then the fat loss, so gains sometimes occur while inches disappear. I think what they meant is that no one who is currently on the show is at that point yet. None of them have lose enough weight for their muscle gain to start out-weighing their fat loss. Am I making sense?
ennay~ I agree, Carla did have a good work effect but I would definetely not think about having her as one of my friends.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #191  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimL1214 View Post
everyone gets to a certain point where the muscle gain is more then the fat loss, so gains sometimes occur while inches disappear. I think what they meant is that no one who is currently on the show is at that point yet. None of them have lose enough weight for their muscle gain to start out-weighing their fat loss. Am I making sense?
Hormonally normal women (like Aubrey, who's managed to conceive five kids)
just don't gain pounds of muscle that easily.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #192  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I was very impressed with what Jillian said. Muscle weighs the same as fat, 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. However, muscle does take up much less weight than fat. Muscle is gained over a period of time, not 30 days. Everyone else there lost TUNS of fat and water... and to think she was the ONLY that gained muscle. THAT's is what this show needs to do is to pull the blindfolds off of people that THINK they know all about weight loss, the ones that SAY they try SO HARD, but yet the do not shed weight. For more info on myths, check out this post...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ighlight=myths
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I agree. Even on the Body for Life program which several of us are doing, they state that even tho we are lifting weights VERY intensely, we will also lose fat and water in the beginning. You might be LUCKY to put on 9 lbs of muscle in 18 months, so you are not going to offset your fat loss in one week, 2 or a month even. So, true that. And even tho we are drinking a ton of water and working out, they said yes, we will still lose water weight bc guess what - a smaller body just doesn't need as much water to regulate its metabolic processes, so yes, it will dispense out some water along with all the fat that is burned.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 205/184/130

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, I'm so annoyed! For some weird reason, NBC was airing basketball last night when TBL was supposed to be on...? Anyway, I was under the impression that Hulu and NBC.com showed the episodes in their entirety the day after the show, but when I go on there, it looks like the show from last week. Anyone watch online or have any idea about that?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #195  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

pokio - when they did that in my area - since it was a local broadcast of the NBA game, the local channel re-aired the episode a few days later...my DVR fortunately caught it, but not of course until I had come on here and found out what happened.