The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #76  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Yesterday there was a second video (clearly marked full episode), but they've removed it.

I have a question about the Yellow Team's Dad, Jerry. He's a police sergeant? How does he keep his job? My DH is a LEO and he has to pass a yearly fitness test. Even if he worked the desk, he'd still have to take the physical and pass it. I hope he loses a lot and can convert some of his fellow Law Enforcement Officers, it's generally a very unhealthy profession.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #77  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I was actually wondering the same thing
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnmom View Post
Kelliegh and Smiling1, I so agree that there are some totally hot babes that will be emerging as this seson goes on...I can't remember the pink girl's name, but how cute is she in her sassy glasses..I just didn't have any team that made me think "fake." They all seem so sincere. I'm with bethbeth...why do we have to waite a whole week???
Yeah, I liked her glasses too. Made me think of Suzy. Remember her? And that grey team. My oh My, but I can't wait to see them at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixied View Post
I have a question about the Yellow Team's Dad, Jerry. He's a police sergeant? How does he keep his job? My DH is a LEO and he has to pass a yearly fitness test. Even if he worked the desk, he'd still have to take the physical and pass it. I hope he loses a lot and can convert some of his fellow Law Enforcement Officers, it's generally a very unhealthy profession.
Do all LEO's have to pass an annual fitness test? I know the ones in my town sure couldn't do it! Not that I could either
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #79  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Re the 3300 calories burned. The fellow they focused on and looked at his body bugg readout was very heavy. He had to have been close to 400 lbs. So you plug that into your treadmill or elliptical and the calories burned at that weight ratchets up even when you aren't going all out.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #80  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

I was wondering too about the 3000-4000 calories burned. Is it possible they are counting their basal amount of calories your body would burn + exercise? I think mine is about 2800 calories without doing anything? Does anyone know what I mean?

Ginger
Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #81  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

kissingginger - I would assume that is what they are counting. But I would be very careful about using those numbers for weight loss because they can be deceptive. Fit Day says I burn way more calories than I really do. Since they upgraded I can set a custom level - I find I'm probably pretty close to around 1400 calories a day without exercise. The more you weigh the more calories you burn just by getting through the day...so the grey team dude burns tons of calories especially since he is workiing out like a maniac.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I also love this show. I've only been watching it for about a year.

ITA about the sports bras

last season, I wondered about the things on things arms. I'll go google it, but is it a HR monitor that downloads to teh PC???

I think the producers prob think that thay showed Jillian as too soft last season. SO they're making her look super tough. My dh thinks she is nuts, LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #83  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm so sad I can't find the full episode anywhere anymore. But I saw the first hour on hulu and I'm not really rooting for anyone yet. But I like Ed (Orange Team guy), and what I'm really rooting for is for Coleen and LT to get together.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #84  

I was happy to see the Green team go home.. I thought they were too arrogant in the gym. I don't like it when people are like that. I don't know if they just wanted to appear more confident than the rest, but seriously.
I was soo thrilled to see the yellow team got immunity.
I am really truly rooting for this team. He needs the most help. And I would love to see him change his life. He needs to be there otherwise I honestly don't think he's got a future ahead of him. Plus he sort of reminds me of my dad and my dad passed away from a stoke due to his obesity and health issues. I couldn't help him, because I couldn't help myself.. And his daughter is soo brave for him, that's a heavy burden on her shoulders to be the strong one for her father. So I am all for the YELLOW team.

Oh.. I love Jillian, but I thought she was a little harsh with Yellow Team Dad.. I know they probably edited it together to make her look mean and nasty but at the same time, have a heart. The poor guy fell off the treadmill. Although when they showed the clip of her saying that you are either going to keep walking or die on this treadmill, she could've been saying that to any one of them, but it only looked like she was saying it to him.
That's the magic of editting I guess.

Just my thoughts on the first episode.
Looking foward to Tuesday.

Last edited by PurpleChakra; 09-21-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #85  

Default yellow team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleigh View Post

Does anyone else think she (yellow team daughter, I think her name is Colleen?) looks like Reese Witherspoon? I really do!

I was thinking the exact same thing!!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 265/230/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissingginger View Post
I was wondering too about the 3000-4000 calories burned. Is it possible they are counting their basal amount of calories your body would burn + exercise? I think mine is about 2800 calories without doing anything? Does anyone know what I mean?

Ginger
I do, and it counts basal, walking, exercise, sleeping, everything! I have a Sensewear -- its pretty much the same thing as a Body Bugg -- and when it shows you the calories burned, it's for *everything*. On mine every day is from midnight to midnight. So it's not so much that it includes a number for the "basal" amount, as it just keeps counting your calories burned for every moment you have it on.

For an example, when I looked at mine last night - after a day gardening, cleaning house & an hour workout at the gym - it said I'd burned 2462 calories. That was from 12:01 am to 7:45pm (when I looked at it) so it included the time I was asleep, watching tv, everything. I'm 192 pounds, 36 & a woman... so for him since he's a guy, and much bigger -- the calories they showed burned are about right for a whole day & long workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchic89 View Post
ITA about the sports bras

last season, I wondered about the things on things arms. I'll go google it, but is it a HR monitor that downloads to teh PC???
I agree about the sports bras! I always think, what is up with that?!! I could never workout in one of those flimsy things!!

On thing on the arms -- they wear a BodyBugg. It measures what you're doing constantly, but it doesn't measure heartrate.

Here's a great thread on the bodybugg:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146354

I love mine, I've only had it for a week, so I'm still excited about it It's really great to see the graph of how active (or in my case, inactive!!!!) I am. It lets you input your food (like fitday), and measures exactly how many calories you burn daily.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Just noticed that while Jillian is yelling at Coleen during the LCW, Jerry is on freaking *oxygen* on the treadmill - you can see him in the background with a nasal cannula on. Does it seem to anyone else like that's taking it too far? Like, if he needs oxygen to workout, perhaps he's working out too hard?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Well, I have to say I was disappointed that the grey team got sent home. I like the yellow team too, though, so it was a no win situation to me last night.

I like the orange team but was surprised when they voted grey. I like the pink team too but am not sure about the rest yet.

I thought Michelle's answer to her 2lb weight loss was great! Good for her!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #89  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Here's this weeks geeky-chart. I realized that last weeks chart indicated body fat percentages, not percentage of weight lost. I guess I was kinda out of it when I made the chart.

I have mixed feelings about the elimination last night. I liked the gray team, and the yellow team, but if I'd been voting, I would have voted for the team made up of two men. Usually the men are the bigger threats. Getting rid of them when they have a chance is probably a good move.

I just did the math for Colleen. They said "4 months later" when they did the update on Tom and LT, so there's 12 weeks, and it's another 12 weeks to the finale? So 24 weeks for Colleen to lose 47% (116, and at 5'-2" that's heathy). That works out to 3.58 pounds a week. I just added a new column to the chart, it really looks like it could be anyone's game.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BL Stats.pdf (13.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #90  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I have to say I LOST ALL RESPECT for the Orange team, I really think that regardless they owed it to the Grey Team to NOT vote for them. If their vote didn't matter, they should have just said that we owed them our vote for give us both of their support the previous week. NO ONE would have been upset, esp if as they said it wasn't going to make a difference in the outcome of the vote.

I think that it was more Heba's decission and I refuse to cheer for them in anyway. I know it is a game, but you have to have some morals and loyalty.

Now that my rant is over, did anyone see where to go to get the recipes that Rocco had them make? I want to try a couple of them.