The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 155/150/128

Height: 5'7

princesspeach....ugh, stuff like that really piss me off because i feel like it promotes unhealthy eating and exercise habits and could lead to an eating disorder.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #32  
Takin' charge of my life!

You also have to remember that this is a game. There is no doubt that they gain extra weight that is easier to take off for the first weeks weigh in...ie water... Plus the change in lifestyle from being a couch potato to working out 30 minutes (Jerry) to 4-6 hours a day if not more (everyone else) is going to cause a great change in the first few episodes. Also, keep in mind that these weigh ins are not done on exact week intervals, some "weeks" can consist of fewer or greater days. They also have people there that shop for their food, giving them only what the Bob & Jillian tell them to get.

They have done follow ups on some of the contestants. Granted, you go back to real life and no longer have the support that you had on the show, you are bound to gain back some of the weight. Some of the contestants lose sooo much that they are actually unhealthy for the finale and have to gain back some weight to live a normal lifestyle.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

I love the show but it always annoys me that they feel the need to follow the rest of the reality show world and vote somebody off every week. Couldn't they start a new trend that could see all contestants making it to the very end together, but still have challenges and mini 'losers/winners' along the way? I hate seeing people go so early into it because they really need to be there.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #34  
Peach

Pippi from the third season (New Jersey) is like my inspiration because she lost it and she healthy gained back say 10ish lbs to hover around 120-130 more or less, she was on Montel.

I realise it's a game; but for me I'd rather see it done super healthy. When I was first fat I lost 20 lbs in a month TOTAL (1/2 of it was being in a different country/stomach problems, and the other 1/2 was fat). no matter how much water weight you put on (for the game) I have to wonder how healthy it is. I know a week on the show isn't a week in real life, so even if they said A wee is actually a week and a 1/2 or something that would be nice

Jen: i know. and that really quick flash of "check your doctor." isn't long or BIG enough for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #35  
Peach

Carrie I agree. this isn't survivor.
I'd keep them on all the time and have "Winner of the Week"
(unless they cheat by waterloading).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #36  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjenn80 View Post
i don't understand how they drop so many lbs so quickly!!! And i want to see a follow up show about the contestants on the first couple of seasons to see if they kept the weight off.
It was mentioned briefly last season by one of the trainers that these people are working out ATLEAST 6 hours a day. That's a whole lot of exercise
Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I gotta say, I don't love "mean Jillian."

All the "real age" and medical stuff has me thinking I should go for a physical, just to see what all is going on inside me!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #38  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspeach View Post
naturally it's the 2 teams i like in the bottom 2. NATURALLY.
ME TOO! I was so sad to see those 2 teams at the bottom. I secretly wanted Brown in the bottom and to go home... But, it's a game and I would have voted Green off also - since they were the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceliving View Post
I gotta say, I don't love "mean Jillian."
I've always liked her aggressive, borderline abrasive edge...but JEEZ! She had her *tender* moments, but yeah, scary!! When you think that these people go through such shock to their bodies in the first week it's amazing they can do what they can.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 221.8/221.8/160

Height: 5'3

I was happy when I saw the green team go home. It seems like they were to cocky about it when they were in the gym.

I think it would be nice to do a complete evaluation of your body to see what we really look like inside and see what our age is.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #40  
Takin' charge of my life!

I am going to agree that it is not healthy to lose so much weight in that amount of time. It definitely does a number on the body which is why quite a few of the people gain back some of the weight. Part of that though is also that they go back to their old habits. They don't have the support after the show, the doctors that are with them on set every day, the trainers that push them, the people that buy/make their food, and...they have to go back work (which is where I put on most of my weight...fricken food days )

It would be nice to see all of the contestants be able to stay throughout the full season, but I don't see NBC changing it. They think that they've got a good thing going right now.

I was secretly hoping Brown would go home but I know they need to be there for their kids so I was fine with Green going home.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #41  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I watched it last night. The one thing that bothered me was the poor girl on the yellow team doing those jumping jacks. Wouldn't you think they would fit them with a supportive bra? I mean come on. I have a huge chest and I know that could not have felt good
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Who else thinks yellow girl and gray T.L. will have a little thing going on by the end of the show if they both can stay on?? They were so cute and supportive of each other at various turns...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #43  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I was glad to see the yellow team do so well at the weigh in. I hope they stay for a while. He has such a huge handicap not being able to exercise as much as the other contestants.

They never said why Tom on the grey team was restricted on his exercise. Or did I miss that?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #44  

What were they wearing on their arms? Bodybuggs or some other calories burned counting device?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 162/156.5/142

Height: 5'2+"

I found the orange team to be entertaining.....he made me laugh!

To get perspective on the whole weigh in, try weighing yourself after you workout. I know I can easily lose 2 pounds of water from a 45 minute workout. So imagine how much you'd lose working out as much as they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keillynsmom View Post
What were they wearing on their arms? Bodybuggs or some other calories burned counting device?
bodybuggs