The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #256  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Icky and Brady are playing the game together and trading off who is water logging and who is TBL and immune for the week. Don't you see it? She only lost 2 (or 3?) lbs??? Come on! NExt week, Brady will water hold, SHE will get the big loss and they will still vote together. And then the next week, switch. Does anyone else see this going on? They're creating a flipflop effect each week to retain themselves on the team and keep their voting block.

Yes I noticed that but wasn't sure why, I guess either way they have 2 votes and that's why. I hate them, but I am shocked that it took the contestants this many seasons to realize that there is a game to be played.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #257  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
........ I was so disgusted after last night's episode and I was a little disappointed that the rest of the black team didn't just up and call Heba out for her rudeness for interrupting their dinner like that. She is SO dramatic! ....
The entire time I was thinking about that Carl's Jr. commercial..."Don't bother me, I'm eating!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimphin View Post
I liked the Phil/Amy vow renewal too. But, correct me if I'm wrong - did he originally propose to her in a mall? (I think that's where they were...) Not the most romantic spot!!
Well....I proposed to both of my wives in the bedroom

Quote:
Icky and Brady are playing the game together and trading off who is water logging and who is TBL and immune for the week. Don't you see it? She only lost 2 (or 3?) lbs??? Come on! NExt week, Brady will water hold, SHE will get the big loss and they will still vote together. And then the next week, switch. Does anyone else see this going on? They're creating a flipflop effect each week to retain themselves on the team and keep their voting block.
I was thinking the same thing...but how does a guy retain water? I told Angie maybe he drank a ton of water before he weighed in and had salty stuff?...beats me!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, EZ, that's exactly how. While most people try to dehydrate themselves before the weigh in, he would have intentionally glugged about a gallon of water. Esp the people who were doing any cardio, they would dehydrate from that, then they wouldn't replenish it. Couple of seasons ago, the contestants admitted after the fact to actually weighing what a gallon of water weighs and then calculating how much water they'd have to drink to still lose some without gaining (which dq's them in some way, I don't remember how). It's all kind of sick but impressive at the same time to know they sat there and calculated their bmr, how much cals they burn, how much they ate, etc., to get so close to the right number.

Last edited by sportmom; 10-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #259  
Blue Team Member

Quote:
Yeah, EZ, that's exactly how. While most people try to dehydrate themselves before the weigh in, he would have intentionally glugged about a gallon of water. Esp the people who were doing any cardio, they would dehydrate from that, then they wouldn't replenish it. Couple of seasons ago, the contestants admitted after the fact to actually weighing what a gallon of water weighs and then calculating how much water they'd have to drink to still lose some without gaining (which dq's them in some way, I don't remember how). It's all kind of sick but impressive at the same time to know they sat there and calculated their bmr, how much cals they burn, how much they ate, etc., to get so close to the right number.
Puleeze, let's not give them too much credit. They are wearing those Body Buggs. That thing probably computes it for them.

p.s. watch Oprah today. Bob and Jillian, along with previous BLs are on.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #260  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Did anyone see Oprah today?

They had some of the past winners on....some (more current winners) are doing well...some past are not.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #261  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

They had some of the past winners on....some (more current winners) are doing well...some past are not.
Yes, I wasn't able to see it all though, but I did enjoy what I saw...
Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #262  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post

DH tivo'd it for me. I thought everyone in the studio looked great, even Matt who has put some of the weight back on. And for just having had another baby, Suzy looked great too. I don't expect her to be as thin as she was on the finale after having 2 kids in 3 years. But she's so funny. I think that when Allison goes on maternity leave they should have Suzy stand-in.

Last edited by dixied; 10-31-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #263  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Overall I really liked what I saw. I thought it was interesting that the only "maintainers" were from the most recently completed season and the people from the earlier season were not at their goal weights.

I disagreed with Jillian (as much as I love love love her) on how they shouldn't gain weight upon returning home and not exercising for so many hours a day. Going from working out and dieting as a full time job to trying to incorperate it into your normal daily life (and dealing with the emotional issues of going through an experience like that) I think would cause you to gain *some* weight. Not to mention that science behind the "fat cells" of a formally obese individual making maintenance for difficult...

Last edited by junebug41; 10-31-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #264  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixied View Post
But she's so funny. I think that when Allison goes on maternity leave they should have Suzy stand-in.
What a great idea! It would be nice to have Suzy fill in for Allison.

Did you catch that the women eat 1200 calories per day and are expected to burn 4000 per day while on the ranch? The numbers for the male contestants are 1600 consumed (I think, or it may have been 1800) but must burn 6000 day.

I have worn a Sensewear armband for the last three weeks which is the miniature version of the Bodybugg that the contestants wear on the show. With my sedentary job, I only burn 1400 calories a day. If I workout an hour plus walk at lunch I can do 2100. Or can burn 2100 on a weekend day with no workout.

4000- 6000, WOW even with working out 6 to 7 hours a day.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #265  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
4000- 6000, WOW even with working out 6 to 7 hours a day.
I know. My body hurts just thinking about it.

Last edited by junebug41; 10-31-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #266  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
I have worn a Sensewear armband for the last three weeks which is the miniature version of the Bodybugg that the contestants wear on the show. With my sedentary job, I only burn 1400 calories a day. If I workout an hour plus walk at lunch I can do 2100. Or can burn 2100 on a weekend day with no workout.
So, that's what they are wearing on their arm! I thought it was only a heart rate monitor... I'd love one of those thingies too ...
Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #267  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixied View Post
OMG!!!!

Hubba's statement "He doesn't deserve a quality friend like me". LOL No one deserves that quality of a friend.

And Brady comparing himself to a rooster....more like a chauvanistic pig. Women are NOT barnyard animals.

Poor Bob, poor Amy C, who is quickly being brainwashed or is trying to play so as not to get voted off next.
I could care less about Poor Amy C. I haven't liked her since she sarcastically blew Jillian a kiss when she was kicked out of the GYM. I was over jyed when her Mom was sent home and I'll feel the same way when and if she gets sent home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimphin View Post
I liked the Phil/Amy vow renewal too. But, correct me if I'm wrong - did he originally propose to her in a mall? (I think that's where they were...) Not the most romantic spot!!
I'm thinking there may be more "behind" that story. perhaps it's where they met back in the day??? I enjoyed them too and I hope they continue to do well. I hope they win the @ Home $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post

I disagreed with Jillian (as much as I love love love her) on how they shouldn't gain weight upon returning home and not exercising for so many hours a day. Going from working out and dieting as a full time job to trying to incorperate it into your normal daily life (and dealing with the emotional issues of going through an experience like that) I think would cause you to gain *some* weight. Not to mention that science behind the "fat cells" of a formally obese individual making maintenance for difficult...
I agree.

Last edited by Diva; 11-01-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #268  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

I dvr'd Oprah so Angie and I could see it together.

We also got a kick out of Suzy

I told Angie..."This girl needs to have her own show!

She agreed!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #269  
cher37

I'm gonna jump in ....

Hubba & Brady - gotta go - nothing but a bunch of conniving (sp?) backstabbers!

We're watching reruns of Season 2 w. Matt & Suzie - it's interesting seeing the progression of their relationship, knowing what we know now! I didn't know they were on Oprah - shame b/c I would've watched the show.

Last edited by cher37; 11-01-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo?

Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #270  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher37 View Post
I'm gonna jump in ....

Hubba & Brady - gotta go - nothing but a bunch of conniving (sp?) backstabbers!

We're watching reruns of Season 2 w. Matt & Suzie - it's interesting seeing the progression of their relationship, knowing what we know now! I didn't know they were on Oprah - shame b/c I would've watched the show.
Where are you watching this? I never started watching until season3.