The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #1  
Mommyhood1226

S/C/G: 138/138/128

Height: 5'5"

Default Jillian Michael's book- HELP!

hi , i just picked up the "making the cut" book by jillian, she promises to get you cut if you stick to it in 30 days. i really want to stick this out...i only have about 20 lbs. to drop and my husband too. the only thing is the excercises look difficult and i don't know how easy it will be to do them in the gym . anyone have any advice?? or had any success? has it helped anyone? how about the diet part?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I have the book but I haven't done the workouts prescribed. I did the workouts from the first book at least 3 times (12 weeks each). Jillian's workouts ARE hard. But don't let that stop you. You will see results - I guarantee that. You can modify some of the exercises and maybe not see such fast results - but I really like how she puts workouts together.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Jillian's workouts are killer but I love them. I mean...if I'm going to the gym for an hour or two a day I want to get the absolute most out of that time that I can. I love that she constantly changes what types of exercises you're doing on what day so you never get bored. And they definitely produce results. I do all my workouts at the gym, and the first couple of times I struggled to keep my heart rate up because I didn't have everything set up and ready to go for each exercise of the circuit. It takes a few tries to get a good rhythm going. I would advise getting all the equipment you require for one circuit gathered and ready to go and then try not to take breaks between sets. You'll get more out of your session that way.

If some of the exercises seem to hard (ie: push ups on your toes) just modify them. I could only do 5 push ups on my toes to start and did the rest on my knees. The most important thing is to keep moving. You'll get a lot stronger very quickly.

I like her diet because it's simple and common sense and supported by scientific research. No food groups are eliminated, but there's a strong emphasis on eating whole foods. I really like the way I'm eating now. It feels completely sustainable as a long term program and I'd have no problem eating like this forever.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #4  
Mommyhood1226

S/C/G: 138/138/128

Height: 5'5"

Default hi again

could you give me an example of your daily diet plan on this? how many cals are you eating a day? are you going exactly by her menu plan?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #5  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I vary my calories per day, but aim for 1300-1600. I have more weight to lose though and I believe she advocates setting your calories at your basal metabolic rate if you only have a few pounds to lose (ie: < 20). My basal metabolic rate would be 1700 approximately, for example. The point here is that when you have less weight to lose your body is wary of dropping those last few pounds and wants to keep that little bit of extra weight as a survival mechanism (ie: for periods of famine). You have to make sure you're getting sufficient calories and create your calorie deficit through your workouts.

My diet is pretty consistent. I've switched out a few things to organic foods (produce and dairy mainly). I eat Ezekiel bread and tortillas and since I'm a balanced oxidizer aim for ratios of 40:30:30 for carbs, fat, and protein. Actually, I try to keep my carbs closer to 30 and up the protein a little.

Breakfast: kashi go lean cereal with 1% milk OR ezekiel toast with all-natural peanut butter OR fruit smoothie with frozen berries, yogurt, and milk

Snack (only if I'm starving): almonds OR a cheestring

Lunch: sandwich on ezekiel bread with turkey or chicken...sometimes an ounce of cheese OR grilled chicken in an ezekiel tortilla or with quinoa...turkey burgers are great too

Snack: fruit and protein

Dinner: spinach salad with balsamic dressing, chicken or lean beef or fish, quinoa or ezekiel tortilla or sweet potato fries

I only get hungry if I haven't eaten in a while (or if I'm getting my period of something...haha). I started trying to follow the general outline set forward by the book and then gradually started making more and more changes. For example, to start I focused mostly on calories and ate sprouted grain bread and lean meats. As time went on I made more substitutions like switching to organic. I also played with my calories a few different ways to see what worked best. At one point I had a really high calorie day and kept the rest of the week consistently low. Now I just have a range I aim for and days I'm hungry I eat more, days I'm not I eat less. I'm also working out a lot more now so having consistently low calories with one high day doesn't work for me. I get hungry. I feel like the plan is quite easy to maintain. I never feel deprived. I get all my food groups in. And I haven't been completely perfect. It's working though...and it feels like something I can maintain, which is nice.