3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing-184/)
-   -   TBL Season 5 Finale Discussion (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/biggest-loser-winning-losing/139946-tbl-season-5-finale-discussion.html)

chellez 04-16-2008 08:20 AM

TBL Season 5 Finale Discussion

Since we had to close the other thread due to length, continue your discussion of the finale here. :)

Diva 04-16-2008 09:04 AM

Ali is about to be on the 9 am hour (3 rd hour) of the Today Show. NBC. :D

Tomato 04-16-2008 09:50 AM

My heart dropped the moment they announced that Roger made it to the finale - since he had more weight to lose than Mark, I worried that he would beat the girls.

I was happy for Bernie to win the $100K - I really did not want the money go to the big cry baby Mark.

When Kelly showed up in the black dress, I held my breath. She was so amazingly beautiful in it - she is extremely fortunate that the huge weight loss did not really affect her face, her face just went from plump to normal but she has beautiful skin with no wrinkles at all, and lovely eyes.
Of course, her in the little black number was NOTHING compared to what she looked like in weigh-in Tshirt and shorts. She blew my breath away - I could not believe how much weight she lost and the firmness of her body.
I am sad that she did not win, I was really rooting for her, but I hope her wish to have a baby will come true. I was really impressed with her weight loss considering the back injury - that must have been hard to continue exercising and not lose the will to fight on.

Ali - I am happy that we have the first female Biggest Loser. God job!
I have to say that I did not like her haircut at all. I have always thought that the whole Victoria Beckham haircut thing is rather stupid and not flattering at all - perphas I may be a tad influenced by the fact that I don't VB at all (read: can't stand her). I preferred Ali in her regular bob when she was leaving the ranch.
On the other hand, I absolutely love Bette Sue's haircut and if my hair was not so fine, I would go for it.

Jackie - Paul's mom - wow, she looked 20 years younger!
Also Amanda looked good, and Jenni as well - although I barely remembered them - I am kicking myself for having not watching all the episodes from the very beginning (I saw bits and pieces until I started to watch each week when the season was in the middle or so).

Roger looked good.

SoulBliss 04-16-2008 09:59 AM

Well, I didn't get to watch it yet, but came across an unmarked spoiler elsewhere (not on this board) and am glad a woman won and that is was Ali.

krjpy 04-16-2008 10:33 AM

I have to say did anyone notice that Bob was "Skunked" again. Jillian's people took both prizes.

I think I was happier last night for Bernie that I even was for Ali.

Bernie was put below the yellow line by 1 lb, and then for the try and get back in phase, he lost getting back by 1 lb again. SO to see him win by 1 lb was true Karma to me.

Bob said it a few weeks ago that this was the season of the single lb. Jay paid 10,000 for 1 lb., Bernie was off by a lb, the blue team went under for the want of 1 more lb from Jay, etc. It was truly fate that someone win the 100,00 by 1 lb.

Chelle - not to dis your boy, but Bob looked like an idiot last night with the scarf around his neck ... all I could think of was Mr Howell from Giligan's Island every time I looked at him.

Jen415 04-16-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krjpy (Post 2153352)
Chelle - not to dis your boy, but Bob looked like an idiot last night with the scarf around his neck ... all I could think of was Mr Howell from Giligan's Island every time I looked at him.

BWAH!!!! Love it!! Now lay off my boyfriend Bob! LOL

I was PISSED when "America" picked Roger. NO FREAKING WAY did America do that! But Ali made it happen anyway! So glad to have a woman as a BL role model now!

ksk571 04-16-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krjpy (Post 2153352)
Bernie was put below the yellow line by 1 lb, and then for the try and get back in phase, he lost getting back by 1 lb again. SO to see him win by 1 lb was true Karma to me.

EXCELLENT Point! I was so happy for him!

iwmonn 04-16-2008 12:27 PM

What an awesome Ending (new beginning) for every single one of the players!!!!

Congratulations to Bernie and Ali!!!!!

I managed to make myself shut down my computer at 5pm pst this time so I would not see results. I really wanted to experience it "live". LOL as live as live usually is on the Left Coast ;)

First thing I noticed was the color of Host Ally's dress. (Is it this thread where people have been noticing her colors reflect the nights winning team, or another.)

Anyhooo... One thing really caught my attention last night. That, although it was great to see all the voted off contestants a few weeks ago, last night was quite anticlimactic compared to all the previous seasons in regards to the dramatic losses. STILL, they were amazing!!!

After 5 seasons, dh is finally hooked on TBL!!!! So I can't wait til the new season starts.

findingfawn 04-16-2008 12:53 PM

Am I the only one who was like I kinda figured he wouldn't be back when they said Paul was too sick to come back for last night? Hubby and I have been talking all along that he would never stay with it once he was home.. esp the way he ate those wings when he was home for his visit before getting kicked off. It's really a shame, he was handed such great tools to use.

I'm so impressed by all of them, esp. Ali and Kelly. I'm happy that Mark didn't win anything, he was so stuck on himself that it made me want to puke! I got so tired of his bawling. I saw him cry more in the past few months than my 2 preschoolers have cried put together! I was happy to see Bernie win the 100 grand, and very very happy to see that it was Roger in the final 3. He just seems like such a good, down home type person. I was totally jumping off the sofa when Ali won, I personally think she looks too thin, but holy wow! Totally amazing what a lot of hard work can do for oneself!

iwmonn 04-16-2008 12:56 PM

Just some fyi, fwiw..... THis was posted on another board, by someone who "knows his family".... I just hope he is getting better.

QUOTE(goofygirl @ Apr 15 2008, 09:24 PM) *
About Paul. He has been very sick. One day after being released from a week in the hospital with pneumonia, he had his appendix removed and 6-9 inches of his colon and a colostomy. 8 days later he had another surgery to remove a blood clot and unkink his intestines. So one month later the colostomy goes bad and he is again in surgery #3 to return his colon back to normal. While in the hospital, an infection has taken over his body and has had surgery #4 and #5 to help pump out the infection. Needless to say, he has been in the hospital for 3 weeks this time. He is on his way to recovery and may come home this week.

findingfawn 04-16-2008 01:02 PM

Thanks for that post iwmonn. I hope if that is the case that he is on his road to recovery. Sometimes in life unfortunate things can and do happen. It just seemed super suspicious to me.. but then I tend to be a very questioning person.

ennay 04-16-2008 01:18 PM

Sad that I didnt even notice Paul was missing. I had fast forwarded through parts of it.

I have to say I was most excited about Bernie winning the runner up prize. He looked great. Mark looks awful...his biceps are GONE. He wasted away his muscle trying to win...hopefully he will get them back now. I really didnt want Dan to win, although Curtis would have been cool because he did it all on his own. Pretty amazing how motivated he was.

When they said that Ali needed to lose 106 I knew she had it, no way in 6 weeks she hadnt lost 7 lbs. She was teeeny. I dont like her haircut either though...and her tan was a little over the top for me. But when your body changes as much as hers does I expect some experimenting with appearance is to be expected. I was very happy she won. :D

Dea 04-16-2008 01:42 PM

quick question....Although Ali looks amazing (maybe a little too thin), is it really possible for someone to go from what she was to what she is now without some kind of tummy-tuck or something. I mean, her abs were flat!!!

So glad that both Ali and Bernie won! I like it when the under-dogs win!
About Bob's tie....even my seven year old son asked why he was wearing his tie under his shirt collar...."doesn't he know how to do a tie?"
Looking forward to the next season!

Manick 04-16-2008 01:58 PM

Ya know...when Ali said in the retrospective: "I literally got fat 5 lbs at a time..." ooooh, LIGHTBULB moment for me! :fr:

Yep, I recall that process, step on the scale every few months...and see a little gain and think, "oh, no biggie".....NO! It's a BIGGIE! After a couple years of that I am now a BIGGIE!

Whew...I CAN do it...5 lbs the other way at a time....:wl:

Tomato 04-16-2008 02:04 PM

I also wanted to make a comment about Alison Sweeney's dress - I loved it (lovely colour) but I think those sheath dresses are so dangerous. Did you notice how it accentuated the tiny tummy she has? Especially when the fabric has some sheen. I just kept staring at that spot all the time. [smacking myself senseless]

HoosierHeather 04-16-2008 02:10 PM

I was also happy to see a woman win, but I do hope Ali lays off the exercise a little and eats a little more. She looked a little TOO thin at this point IMO. I was so proud of the guy who qualified for health insurance... I have to admit, that teared me up a little. Nothing else did, but when he said he wanted to provide for his family by having insurance, that got me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato (Post 2153739)
I also wanted to make a comment about Alison Sweeney's dress - I loved it (lovely colour) but I think those sheath dresses are so dangerous. Did you notice how it accentuated the tiny tummy she has? Especially when the fabric has some sheen. I just kept staring at that spot all the time. [smacking myself senseless]

Me too. I shouldn't be like that! Women shouldn't judge other women, yet it's so hard. I wondered why she chose such a form-fitting dress. I guess we need to learn to stop judging other peoples' bodies and just accept them as healthy, happy people!

Nori71 04-16-2008 02:39 PM

I loved everything about the finale! (Except Bob's tie!!) Bernie winning by 1 pound & Ali winning it all was magical!

I also totally relate to Ali comment about it happening 5 pounds at a time. I lost 112 pounds 10 years ago and gained it back slowly, but surely...

Manick 04-16-2008 03:04 PM

Female on Three!!! Ali Wins!

Here's the after video from the Today show this morning:

ALI on TODAY

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...57837#24157837

Nori71 04-16-2008 03:09 PM

I didn't think Ali looked "too thin". She looked strong and muscular to me. I think she has a petite-ish upper body naturally. I have a sister with a similar build. She's almost bony up top, but curvy on the bottom.

Purplefirefly 04-16-2008 03:21 PM

I'm surprised no one is commenting on Brit...she looked like a supermodel when she walked out in that dress, wow! I knew she would be beautiful, but she lived up to it, she was gorgous but not too skinny, and she motivates me.

I was so proud of Kelly, she looked like a woman and even her walk was different in the dress. On the ones going for the at home $$, I wasn't as blown away as in past seasons, some of them in their first dresses I couldn't even see a difference really. But, the ones that did make big transformations I feel they are so changed they will keep it off, like it seems to have really changed a lot for their entire lifestyle and I hope they do keep it off.

Purplefirefly 04-16-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nori71 (Post 2153877)
I didn't think Ali looked "too thin". She looked strong and muscular to me. I think she has a petite-ish upper body naturally. I have a sister with a similar build. She's almost bony up top, but curvy on the bottom.

I don't think she is too thin either. She has a lot of muscle definition and just looks glowing healthy to me. And she has a great smile, she makes me feel I can do this, if she can I can.

bjeweled 04-16-2008 03:36 PM

I love Ali! I love her energy, competitiveness, confidence and mostly her spirit! You can tell she is a good person. She is the type of woman girls can look at and look up to. She is the reason I began losing again she is a huge inspiration and motivation for me. She is thin enough I agree. I dont think she needs to get any smaller but she looks good.

Kelly is the Cinderella of the competition. I rooted for her week after week but never expected her to make it that far. She looked gorgeous and I pray God blesses her with children.

Brittany was a SUPERMODEL. And she is young and can live her life now. Dan too! Im super excited for them.

I cried when Curtis' bio was going. I think he is the biggest winner because he can provide for his family. He made a commitment and stuck with it.

krjpy 04-16-2008 03:58 PM

Just as an FYI. Curtis had insurance for his family, he just could not get it for himself because of his weight. It is still a big deal, but just wanted to make the clarification.

GirlyGirlSebas 04-16-2008 04:56 PM

I think Ali looks absolutely amazing....from the beautiful muscles on her tiny petite frame, to her sassy new hairdo.

BTW....every other woman in Georgia has that same haircut. Its hugely popular right now. That's why I don't have it! I have to be independent.:D

EZMONEY 04-16-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato (Post 2153739)
............ I just kept staring at that spot all the time.........

OOPS! I caught myself staring at something else ;)

All in all ~ I was very pleased with this season and the final results! I am curious to see what my wife thought about it since she watched it in New York...I hope she did!...she never misses and I didn't dvr it...oh-o!........:o

Oh well, I will know in about 5 hours when she gets home!

Ilene 04-16-2008 06:53 PM

I jumped off the couch too when she won :D I was so happy for her... I love her body and she is not too thin, just muscular and strong... I also love her hair, I have that cut, but with no bangs :lol: ...

I was happy too that Bernie won :cp: and by only one pound, take that Mark!!

Anyways I gotta get to the gym myself :wave:

Diva 04-16-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manick (Post 2153721)
Ya know...when Ali said in the retrospective: "I literally got fat 5 lbs at a time..." ooooh, LIGHTBULB moment for me! :fr:

Yep, I recall that process, step on the scale every few months...and see a little gain and think, "oh, no biggie".....NO! It's a BIGGIE! After a couple years of that I am now a BIGGIE!

Whew...I CAN do it...5 lbs the other way at a time....:wl:

Dang right you can! Did you sign up for TBL Challenge with us???

Manick 04-16-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 2154225)
Dang right you can! Did you sign up for TBL Challenge with us???

Yep, I sure DID! Thanks Diva! I'm looking forward to it!

Diva 04-16-2008 09:02 PM

Kewl beans! :D

Tomato 04-16-2008 09:09 PM

I finally played the video of the interview with Ali (I don't have sound at work) and I noticed that her scar disappeared. She must have had it fixed between the departure from the ranch and now.

Here is a funny pic of Paul and Kelly I found on NBC's site:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser...11353_0781.jpg

EZMONEY 04-16-2008 09:59 PM

Angie here-
My sister met Ali today (Wednesday) at JFK in the American Airlines terminal. They both were returning to LA. My sister recognized her and walked up to her and congratulated her on her success.

Sweetcaroline 04-16-2008 10:46 PM

I have a question and a comment... Do you think Paul is really sick or perhaps had trouble staying OP ??? That would be horrible... and... I loved the whole finale, but was a little bummed that in 2 hours, Ali got like one minute on air as the winner... I believe it was at least 9:58pm when it was finally announced... I would have loved to see her and Betty Sue for just a few seconds savoring the win... oh well... loved it anyway..................

NemesisClaws 04-17-2008 01:33 AM

Out of all of these contestants, Allie is the one that really inspired me the most! :)

When the contestants started coming out to be revealed, even my mother and I were saying we couldn't tell where they had honestly lost very much since they were kicked off the ranch. Even when they got up on the scale, and were pulling down some big numbers, I was still looking at them in doubt. I don't know, guess I'm used to the earlier seasons in which everyone in the end looked like Mark or Allie by the finale. But it didnt' really seem like in the past season nor in this one that most folks really tried that hard to win the kicked off prize. Just my impression there...

Was that really a tie Bob had around his neck? I couldn't tell, but I thought he looked so ridiculous in that...like he was trying to look like a spoiled, rich man just about to go sailing on his yacht...LOL

ledom 04-17-2008 08:06 AM

Do you think that ascot fashion Bob was sporting was picked up in Australia when he did BL over there? I noticed the American Idol dude from Australia also wore that same style neck wear.

krjpy 04-17-2008 08:46 AM

I thought that some of them really looked like they had lost more weight and some looked close to the same.

I think that Bernie and Jackie looked the best weight lose wise out of the losers. Mark was looking too thin in the upper body, but still had some tummy overhang (unlike Roger who looked suprisingly flat across the mid section). Dan didn't have too much more to lose before he left. I thought Jay looked much thinner too and much better (healthier) than Mark. I think Curtis and Mallory looked awsome.

Maybe because we saw then all about 4 weeks ago when they got the chance to get back in the game, so we remember that and not when they really left the show for many of them.

Tomato 04-17-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 2154448)
Angie here-
My sister met Ali today (Wednesday) at JFK in the American Airlines terminal. They both were returning to LA. My sister recognized her and walked up to her and congratulated her on her success.

That's so cool! I think I would have to approach her as well, I would not be able to contain myself. :^:

Tomato 04-17-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline (Post 2154506)
I have a question and a comment... Do you think Paul is really sick or perhaps had trouble staying OP ??? That would be horrible... and... I loved the whole finale, but was a little bummed that in 2 hours, Ali got like one minute on air as the winner... I believe it was at least 9:58pm when it was finally announced... I would have loved to see her and Betty Sue for just a few seconds savoring the win... oh well... loved it anyway..................

If you go through this thread, there is somewhere a post from somebody that Paul was dealing with some serious health issues .... it may be on page 1 of this thread.

Jen415 04-17-2008 11:42 AM

I don't know if any of you know what the Law of Attraction is, but I believe Ali does! When she and Bette-Sue were getting booted, she said: "I will be the Biggest Loser"....and sure enough, there were game twists and lots of hard work that made that statement true!!

Idealmuse 04-17-2008 12:38 PM

I find it ironic that lots of people thin Alli looks too thin. She obviously has a small frame but she had lots of muscle and looked healthy. Compare that to Mark who looked like he had wasted away a bit pushing for the win. I LOVE that Alli didn't sacrifice her strength gains.

People quite often think when you lose weight you look too thin, because they just aren't used to seeing you that way. Alli sitting next to Jillian in that post-interview actually looked larger then Jillian, but no one says Jillian is too thin.

Looks like she avoided the "deflated" look, because If you look at her "before" pictures she looks like her stretch marks were minimal and her mid-area was nice and round and not segmented into "upper/lower" Plus as far as TBL goes she was a bit of a light-weight to begin with. You can see some loose arm jiggle when she waves, but it's fairly minimal. Lucky girl!

I do think a few pounds would help round out her face a bit nicer, but she doesn't look unhealthy or too thin at all given her bone structure.

Michelle125 04-17-2008 02:52 PM

I think Ali looks fabulous and I love how thin her face is. That's something I strive for. Gosh, if I saw her at the airport I'd probably run up all excited and make a scene (but couldn't help it, lol). Funny how 4 months ago she was just a normal person like us and now we're all talking about 'seeing her on the street' and what we'd do, lol. I hope she writes a book. Losing weight can be so much more complex for women since our minds come into play so strongly. I want to hear her thoughts, feelings, and challenges she went through to get to where she is. She said at the finale that she struggles every day just to get up and go to the gym. That's something I needed to hear to motivate me on days I really don't want to go. Knowing Ali doens't want to go either, but still does, is a big deal! :)