The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #121  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
You may like him as much as you wish, that is your own choice. But I think Ali lost buckets of fat as well, worked just as hard and is not annoying. I would much prefer it be her who wins.
I agree 100%!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #122  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I don't have an opinion (how shocking) on Mark and Ali. I think that they all deserve a shot at this point. Lord knows they've all done the work and look great. I think Maaark may have done more mental changing than Ali, as far as becoming the "new me" or whatever Ando was saying. Ali still thinks of herself as heavier. Kelly is finally getting ready to make that mental shift. You could really tell it this week. It put me in mind of watching a butterfly cooming out of it's cocoon. She's still struggling to break free, but she's at least trying now.

I followed a link to the homepage of the Foundation that Jay was organizing the 10K for, and found out his wife is the Vice President of the organization. I had to wonder if the 10K is his penance for not taking the $10,000 and taking her on vacation?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #123  

Wow, who could have predicted that doing Yoga for your final workout wouldn't drop as much water weight for the final weigh-in as doing intense cardio in the hot sun on the beach? I guess the producers wanted to make sure that two guys fell below the yellow line.

I am surprised so many people thought Mark's finishing in a tie with Ali was touching. I thought it was just a conniving way to take Ali with him for the romantic brunch and ditch his brother. I hope Mark's wife is not the jealous type.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #124  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
I gave my inner dork a free reign this afternoon and I came up with a spreadsheet that I find very interesting. Take a look and see what you think. The way the numbers play out (if my formatting is correct) Ali, Roger and Kelly all have the same percentage left to lose. Interesting!
Dee - You're awesome. I think you could be my new best friend!!

Last edited by ksk571; 04-03-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #125  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
As far as Jay is concerned, I wanted to mention that the name of the disorder his little girl has and link to the site. It's called Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome. http://www.beckwith-wiedemannsyndrom...e.asp?ID=28768
Thanks SoulBliss! I tried to get online right after the show to read about it, but my internet wasn't cooperating. I forgot to go back and check later.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
Wow, who could have predicted that doing Yoga for your final workout wouldn't drop as much water weight for the final weigh-in as doing intense cardio in the hot sun on the beach? I guess the producers wanted to make sure that two guys fell below the yellow line.

I am surprised so many people thought Mark's finishing in a tie with Ali was touching. I thought it was just a conniving way to take Ali with him for the romantic brunch and ditch his brother. I hope Mark's wife is not the jealous type.
There were a lot of folks speculating that on another forum (about Mark and Ali). I hope we don't see a repeat of Marty and Amy.

Yoga can be a hard workout, but it wouldn't have been my choice for a last chance workout.

Last edited by dixied; 04-03-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #127  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Good number crunching, Dee! from what you posted it looks like more of an even game than in years past.

NOTE to all: the couple that had a showmance was Marty and Amy, not Eric....

RobertW, you are probably right about the producers manipulating the outcome by having the men do yoga as opposed to what the gals were doing.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
Good number crunching, Dee! from what you posted it looks like more of an even game than in years past.

NOTE to all: the couple that had a showmance was Marty and Amy, not Eric....

RobertW, you are probably right about the producers manipulating the outcome by having the men do yoga as opposed to what the gals were doing.
Oops, it was Marty, not Eric. I'll fix that!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
I think they need to have a BL - After Dark show like they do for Big Brother. Let's see how they act when no one is around, then I'll vote!
YES! That is an awesome idea! Only BB does it on cable and I don't have that channel, and am not interested enough to buy it just for one show...but I still think it is a very good idea.

Things have gotten so heated over Mark, wow! I actually like him, but don't think he's going to win. I want one of the girls to win, not just for there to be a first, but because the boys were so cocky and mean spirited through most of the season, I'd like to see them lose. As for him waiting for Ali, I sensed they really had come close, at one point while Allie was talking to them at the end of that challenge Mark was standing behind Alie, kind of leaning in toward her, their heads almost together and I think his hand on her arm, they were just standing really close and I thought "wow, what's up with that?" when I first noticed it. I don't think he waited just to look good, but I don't think it was just to be sappy either, I think he really feels something for her...but only he knows what that something is I guess. I don't feel it was fake, but there might be some feelings there he now wishes weren't so obvious as he watches this at home with his wife

I do think Mark should have let Jay stay because he had a better chance at actually winning...but, I don't hate him either for letting his brother volunteer
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #130  

Okay, on the Mark and Ali thing, I've decided to have an opinion after all.

I really don't think there is anything hinky or romantic going on there. I think that this is such a tremendously emotional time, that "real life" rules of interaction with the opposite gender don't apply inside your head. I'm not explaining that well at all. I mean to say that I don't think that Mark would act all touchy feely or be such a cry-baby in real life. (Nor do I think he'd normally be so hands-on with a woman who isn't his wife.) But he's lost over 100 pounds in less than 4 months. Sheez, I lost 30 pounds in a year and don't know who I am yet most days, I can't imagine the emontional impact of loosing 100 pounds. Plus there's the entire stress of possible elimination every week. It only takes one bad week. And they're away from their families. And your other contestants are the only ones who can really understand what you're going thru. Bob and Jillian can't understand 100%, Allison can't, and your family, who you can't talk to certainly can't understand. It's almost like they've been to war together. It's like there should be a PTSD-type syndrome for survivors of obesity.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #131  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

LOL it has gotten heated over Mark and I am one of the main culprits ! For him to win he would have to get to an unhealthy weight and I hope BL would not promote that. Whatever too much time has been spent on him anyways.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #132  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

I missed the Mark/Ali brunch!!
I think they probably have a really strong respect for eachother..for what they have both accomplished ie: loosing the weight, leaving the show and then earning their way back etc.
I feel sorry for the wives of Mark and Jay....nothing is going to come between those brothers...hope the wives get along as well!

I hope Ali wins...although, I guess from the results of past shows, that could be a long shot. I have a new found respect for that lady! I didn't really like her much at the beginning of the show...but she is really an inspiration! Kelly is doing really well too! Paul was dead weight around her shoulders, and has done so much better without him there!
Mark...too many tears for me..but I agree with everyone that it is a very emotional time!
I didn't agree with Bob when he blamed the boys low results on change (or lack) of routine. They did fine when they went to Vegas, and when they went home....so that idea doesn't really fit.
Could be a very interesting next few weeks!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #133  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

its for sure going to be an interesting ending! cant wait!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #134  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Dixie dieter, I appreciate your "geeky" chart. Really, it looks like Kelly COULD safely (weight wise) win the thing IF she kicked her butt into gear after she left.

I hope a woman wins.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #135  

I really wanted Kelly to go home when Paul was on with her. Now I really like her, I think if she can make the head/body connection she'll do very well. I know how much she wants a baby, I just hope she waits til after the finale.

You ever wonder if the contestants lurk on message boards thinking that we all need to get a life?

Here's a link to an interview with Jay, talking about "cry on three".

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_co...ers-jay-kruger