The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default Closed: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

Great news! The Q/A was such a great opportunity for our members that Molly Gee has agreed to do it again! So please feel free to post more questions, and we'll see her again later for replies.

In case you missed it, here's the link to the last three Q/A's with Molly Gee :

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130594

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132466

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131608

Here are the details:

Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for several weeks! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Here's how it works.. For the next week you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question. Next week Ms. Gee will return to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #2  
it's always something

Copied from last thread, posted after closed:

ceejay52:
It's been recommended that I take 1200mg calcium daily. On some of the labels they have 30% calcium in the product. Is this the same as 400mg?
Thanks.

2muchbackend:
Hi I have 2 questions,
1st-I was wondering if diagnosed with Poly cystic ovaries do you need to reduce your carb levels overall or just watch the type of carbs you eat? I run hypoglycemic so if I reduce carbs I get very sick and dizzy.
2nd-My husband was diagnosed with high uric acid levels and the Dr told him to reduce his meat consumption is it all meat or certain types of meat?
Thank you for your help
Old 02-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Triglycerides?

I'm so confused. I just read one article that says in order to help lower triglycerides you should avoid all grains but it's OK to have fats (unsaturated); then read another article that says you should eat more whole grains and avoid all fats. I've eliminated 99% of processed sugars & sugar substitutes from my diet but have already added raw nuts (almonds and walnuts as my "snack" food). I was planning to add some whole oats in hopes of lowering my cholesterol. Are my triglycerides going to go through the roof from the fats in the nuts (not to mention the couple of avocados a week)? What's a good balance to lower both cholesterol and triglycerides?
Thanks so much
Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I have a question about Splenda. I know it's made from sugar, but is said to have no calories. But does it negatively effect weight loss like sugar does? I use 3 packets in my tea (24oz of hot tea) per day. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #5  

Default Happy Chinese New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year!

Super Bowl, Fat Tuesday and the Chinese New Year! This week has certainly been one filled with food and celebrations. How’d you do? No worries if you overindulged. The key is getting back on track, which I can tell many of you are eager to do, as you are inquisitively returning to this forum to ask insightful questions. I would love to hear about the progress you have all made! I’m continuing to answer as many questions as I can each week, so stay tuned.

Last week, I challenged you to continue recording your food and activity, to pay special attention to your portion sizes and to look up the calories of the foods and beverages you ate. For weight loss, a balanced deficient plan is typically between 1,200 to 1,600 calories.

This week, slow down mealtime to at least 20 minutes. That’s the time it takes for our body and brain to signal satiation. Olympic speed eaters will continue eating until that signal kicks in. By that time, however, too many calories have passed your lips. Slow down by laying down your fork between bites or using chopsticks. You will feel full with less food. To further control calorie intake, I chew a five-calorie stick of Extra gum before a meal or instead of a high-calorie snack because it helps to diminish hunger and reduce cravings.

I also challenge you to get moving! If you’re not moving more than you did three weeks ago, get some help. It can be as simple as an exercise buddy like a co-worker or as serious as hiring a personal trainer at the gym.

Take one step at a time and be encouraged by other members of the weight loss forum. Anything worthwhile takes time and habit management is no exception. If you haven’t done so, be sure to visit www.gumisgood.com to enter Extra’s “Reveal the New You” sweepstakes to help you stay motivated as you strive for weight management success and a chance to win $5,000!

Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle. Till next week.

To your health,
Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  

Default Calcium Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

ceejay52:
It's been recommended that I take 1200mg calcium daily. On some of the labels they have 30% calcium in the product. Is this the same as 400mg?
Thanks.
Ceejay—yes, however, each type of calcium supplement (carbonate or citrate) varies in the amount of actual calcium in the supplement. Calcium absorption also depends on the total amount of calcium consumed at one time and whether the calcium is taken with food or on an empty stomach. Absorption from supplements is best in doses of 500 mg or less because the percent of calcium absorbed decreases as the amount of calcium in the supplement increases. So, take supplements twice a day instead of all at once.

Following the 2005 Dietary Guidelines of 3 servings of low fat dairy per day is the best way to meet the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for calcium.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #7  

Default PCOS & Gout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post

2muchbackend:
Hi I have 2 questions,
1st-I was wondering if diagnosed with Poly cystic ovaries do you need to reduce your carb levels overall or just watch the type of carbs you eat? I run hypoglycemic so if I reduce carbs I get very sick and dizzy.

2nd-My husband was diagnosed with high uric acid levels and the Dr told him to reduce his meat consumption is it all meat or certain types of meat?
Thank you for your help

2muchbackend—polycystic ovarian syndrome is caused by an imbalance of a woman’s hormones. It may bring on various symptoms like weight gain, acne, excessive hair growth, irregular periods, infertility or high glucose. With hypoglycemia (low blood sugars), it’s important to have regular meals and snacks ever 3-4 hours with an emphasis on evenly distributing carbohydrates. If high glucose is a problem, medication and a special diet may be necessary. Your physician and registered dietitian would work with you to tailor the best plan for you. A balanced heart healthy diet would be best to follow.

Is your husband at high risk for gout? High uric acid levels can buildup around the joints and result in gout (a painful type of arthritis). Diets high in purines and proteins are suspected to increase the risk for gout and therefore should be avoided. According to the American Medical Association, purine-containing foods include: alcoholic beverages like beer, anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring, organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), legumes (dried beans, peas), meat extracts found in consommé and gravies, mushrooms, spinach, asparagus and cauliflower. Most meats should be limited to 1 serving (2-3 oz cooked) per day. Game meats like duck and goose should be avoided.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #8  

Default Food related questions that I didn't get to last week

Hi Ms. Gee! Is it true that green tea can help speed your metabolism? I've been drinking Enviga green tea drink, because I love the way it tastes. It's a good replacement for soda, because it's carbonated water with green tea, so it still has the fizz, but only 5 calories. But I read on the can that drinking 3 of them can help you burn an extra 150 calories! I was wondering if you know anything about this. I only drink 1 each day but may drink a few more if there's any truth in it! TatianaHdz

Tatiana—caffeine may slightly increase your body's ability to burn calories. Caffeine is thought to stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. However, caffeine's role in thermogenesis probably isn't enough to result in significant weight loss. A moderate intake of caffeine is 300 mg per day which is equivalent to approximately 3 cups of coffee. If you’re drinking the tea for an energy boost or to avoid snacking, try chewing a piece of sugar-free gum. I really like to chew five-calorie Extra gum because the long-lasting flavor gives me a boost during the afternoon slump.

Thank you for answering our questions. I have enjoyed reading all of your responses on the other thread. My question is: How does alcohol and caffeine affect weight loss? I enjoy having a glass of red wine a few times per week and a cup of coffee or tea in the mornings. Spidermonkey78

Spidermonkey78—your routine of a glass of red wine a few times per week and a cup of coffee or tea in the morning poses no harm or help to losing weight. Alcohol contributes extra calories but research shows no adverse effects of a moderate intake of 1.5 oz of distilled spirits (96 calories), 12 oz. beer (144 calories); 5 oz. wine (100 calories). Moderate intake is one serving per day for women and 2 servings per day for men.

I eat eggs once in a while for my protein, but I've heard many different opinions about how many/how often. What is your advice? LadyZaidi

LadyZaidi—eggs are a low fat, nutrient-dense food. One egg has 13 essential nutrients in varying amounts – including the highest quality protein, choline, folate, iron and zinc – for only 75 calories. Because eggs are high in cholesterol, the 2005 Dietary Guidelines suggests limiting egg yolk intake to no more than 4 times per week. Two egg whites have the same protein content as 1 oz of meat.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #9  

This is my second time on a Low Carb diet. The first time I stayed at 20 carbs a day and lost about 100lb in 9 months. I loved the diet and my Dr. was very happy with the results. I opened a resteraunt a year ago and I have been off plan sampling and cooking. I have about 50 pounds to lose and I have started LC again. I stay at 5 - 10 carbs a day (20 last time). I am not losing as quickly as last time around and wondering why. Is it because I don't have as much weight to lose? Or can too few carbs stop wight loss? CT Cabo

CT Cabo—congratulations on your weight loss and your new restaurant! Both are life changing events. It is always harder to lose those last pounds because your body requires less calories. However, good health is the ultimate goal in any lifestyle change. Limiting your intake to only 5-10 carbohydrates per day is dangerous. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for adults is 130 grams per day based on the amount of glucose needed by the brain. Calories from carbohydrate should fall within the recommended range of 45-65% of total calories.

Gradually increase your carbohydrate intake to avoid major fluid retention during the transition. Too few calories can certainly slow down weight loss. A balanced plan ranges between 1,200 to 1,600 calories. I wish you success.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #10  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up Gaining muscle mass

The daily plan I strive for is the following: 64 ounces of water each day; fruits (2 servings) and vegetables (3+ servings) (no starchy vegetables); 2-3 servings of dairy (lowfat or non-fat); 1-2 grain serving (whole grain); lean protein with each meal; 3 smaller meals a day plus 2 snacks (eating about every 3-4 hours); few processed foods; no eating after 8:00 PM at night; always eating breakfast; sleeping 8 hours a night; cardio 5 times a week (about 45 minutes each session); strength training 3 times a week (about 20-30 minutes each session); stretching (5 times per week).

Over the counter supplements: multi-vitamin; CLA; green tea supplements; CoQ10; fish oil; acetyl-l-carnitine/alpha lipoic acid; chromium picolinate; niacin; Prescription medicines: provachol and fosamax.

I am 57 and 5' 2"; current weight 165 pounds; current body fat 40%. I have been a yo-yo dieter and lost weight without exercising in the *past*. I worked with a trainer this past fall, and she had me writing down what I was eating and had me on a 40-30-30 plan. I was averaging around 900-1,100 calories a day at first; she had me up it to 1,200, but I'm not even losing 1/2 to 1 pounds a week on average.

Do you have any suggestions for me that will help me gain muscle mass more effectively? I am not seeing the results I thought I would be seeing. I know that keeping my weight off once I get to goal is going to be partially dependent on me having gained more muscle mass.

Thank you so much!
Cheree

(P.S. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to see if I need to have my thyroid and/or hormones checked (I'm not taking HRT)). Also, I'm a fan of Extra Gum!!!

Last edited by Cheree; 02-10-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #11  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi Molly -

I am an extremely picky eater.. but i do absolutely love steamed broccoli and cauliflower (two of the ONLY veggies i can eat). The problem... for a couple of days after consumption i have horrific gas pains, bloating, and gas. Is there anything I can do to counteract this effect?

I'd hate to completely give these two up since they are so good for me and are really only the two (aside from those starchy old potatoes and corn) that i enjoy.

Thanks!
Nicole
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
I'm so confused. I just read one article that says in order to help lower triglycerides you should avoid all grains but it's OK to have fats (unsaturated); then read another article that says you should eat more whole grains and avoid all fats. I've eliminated 99% of processed sugars & sugar substitutes from my diet but have already added raw nuts (almonds and walnuts as my "snack" food). I was planning to add some whole oats in hopes of lowering my cholesterol. Are my triglycerides going to go through the roof from the fats in the nuts (not to mention the couple of avocados a week)? What's a good balance to lower both cholesterol and triglycerides?
Thanks so much
Yoyodietinvegas—I applaud your efforts to a educate yourself with the latest health news. Cholesterol and triglycerides are key factors when trying to maintain a healthy heart. It is important to understand the facts, as heart disease is the number one cause of death in women. For a healthy heart, keep your total cholesterol less than 200 mg/dL and triglyceride to less than 150 mg/dL. The basic low fat diet is helpful to lower both triglyceride and cholesterol levels.

Following are some tips to reduce cholesterol:
• Maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise
• Choose healthier fats found in nuts like almonds and walnuts. When eating nuts, however, make sure your portions are moderate as they can still contain fat calories that can quickly add up
• Limit saturated fat found in animal products
• Exercise regularly (most weekdays)
• Enjoy high fiber foods like whole grains, cereals, fruits and vegetables

In addition to the above tips, to lower triglycerides you should:
• Cut out sugary foods from your diet whenever possible
• Avoid alcohol since it is high in calories and can elevate triglycerides

Visit the American Heart Association’s Web site (www.americanheart.org) for more details.

Happy, healthy heart diet to you!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #13  

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Every week provides an opportunity for new celebrations with food, so be sure to put treats into perspective to stay the course with your weight management plan - enjoy them, also keeping portion control in mind. Chances are another celebration is just around the corner, therefore the key is getting right back on track if you’ve strayed.

Thank you for actively returning to the forum. As you learn from the questions other members are asking, your thoughtful inquiries continue to help the community achieve weight management success. Be sure visit regularly and ask all your questions for a chance to win more ‘new you’ prizes - remember TEN more ‘Biggest Loser’ prizes will be given away in March! I’m continuing to answer as many questions as I can each week, so ask away!

Last week, I challenged you to slow down mealtime to at least 20 minutes. Hopefully you felt full with less food. When you take more time to eat, food actually tastes better (because you can actually savor each bite) compared to food that you practically inhale.

It’s been one month since you’ve welcomed me to your community. What lifestyle modifications have you made? Are you keeping a food and activity journal? Have you increased your daily physical activity? Are you more comfortable leaving food on your plate? Have you slowed down eating during meals? I would love to hear about your weight management progress!

Reinforce these positive changes with a reward. Think of something that you’d enjoy (besides food) - perhaps a massage, CD, or a new book. Create a list of rewards to enjoy in the future. And remember, Extra gum is offering a chance to win $5,000 towards a healthier you in 2008 – who knows, you could potentially turn that list into a reality! You can enter the “Reveal the New You” sweepstakes at www.gumisgood.com today!

Congratulations on all your efforts. Anything worthwhile takes time and habit management is no exception. Keep trying and never give up! Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

To your health,
Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheree View Post
The daily plan I strive for is the following: 64 ounces of water each day; fruits (2 servings) and vegetables (3+ servings) (no starchy vegetables); 2-3 servings of dairy (lowfat or non-fat); 1-2 grain serving (whole grain); lean protein with each meal; 3 smaller meals a day plus 2 snacks (eating about every 3-4 hours); few processed foods; no eating after 8:00 PM at night; always eating breakfast; sleeping 8 hours a night; cardio 5 times a week (about 45 minutes each session); strength training 3 times a week (about 20-30 minutes each session); stretching (5 times per week).

Over the counter supplements: multi-vitamin; CLA; green tea supplements; CoQ10; fish oil; acetyl-l-carnitine/alpha lipoic acid; chromium picolinate; niacin; Prescription medicines: provachol and fosamax.

I am 57 and 5' 2"; current weight 165 pounds; current body fat 40%. I have been a yo-yo dieter and lost weight without exercising in the *past*. I worked with a trainer this past fall, and she had me writing down what I was eating and had me on a 40-30-30 plan. I was averaging around 900-1,100 calories a day at first; she had me up it to 1,200, but I'm not even losing 1/2 to 1 pounds a week on average.

Do you have any suggestions for me that will help me gain muscle mass more effectively? I am not seeing the results I thought I would be seeing. I know that keeping my weight off once I get to goal is going to be partially dependent on me having gained more muscle mass.

Thank you so much!
Cheree

(P.S. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to see if I need to have my thyroid and/or hormones checked (I'm not taking HRT)). Also, I'm a fan of Extra Gum!!!
Cheree—Congratulations on having such an organized plan while you work with a trainer! Your workout is impressive. Ask your trainer how to optimize your workout for increasing muscle mass.

It’s great that you are eating every 3-4 hours and getting 8 hours of sleep. There is nothing wrong with eating after 8 PM especially if dinner was at 6 PM and you go to bed after 10 pm. However, be sure to choose healthy snacks. I’m happy to read that you enjoy five-calorie Extra gum as it can be a great alternative to high-calorie snacks and can help you avoid those after-dinner temptations. Plus, Extra comes in ten long-lasting flavors, a different taste for every craving!

Here are a few more suggestions for you to consider. Eating only 900-1,100 calories per day is not adequate and may even signal your metabolism to slow down. Try a balanced deficient diet of 1,200 to 1,400 calories per day with a few more carbohydrates servings coming from starchy veggies and whole grains. Also, trim your protein calories by 1-2 oz. of protein.

I’m glad that you are working with your physician to lose weight. Keep me posted on your progress!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNicole View Post
Hi Molly -

I am an extremely picky eater.. but i do absolutely love steamed broccoli and cauliflower (two of the ONLY veggies i can eat). The problem... for a couple of days after consumption i have horrific gas pains, bloating, and gas. Is there anything I can do to counteract this effect?

I'd hate to completely give these two up since they are so good for me and are really only the two (aside from those starchy old potatoes and corn) that i enjoy.

Thanks!
Nicole
Nicole—Sorry that you have been so uncomfortable with the bloating and gas. You are correct, The broccoli and cauliflower are the culprits of the problem. Actually, the gas is caused by the normal breakdown of certain foods like beans, milk and milk products, whole grains and veggies. It’s probably a good idea to avoid eating your veggies raw since that would require a longer time to be digested.

It’s not necessary to give up any of these foods since they contribute rich nutrients and fiber to your diet. Be patient and gradually include the offending foods in your diet using half a cup or smaller portions. Drink adequate amounts of fluid ~ 6-8 cups per day and get enough regular physical activity.

Additionally, over-the-counter digestive enzymes (i.e. Beano) can help digest carbohydrates in beans and vegetables.

It will take trial and error on your part but it’s worth it for your health’s sake.