ANSWERED Week 3: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thank you for this.

I need to ask this again.

I have diverticulitis and have been in the ER twice over the last 6 years. Does it ever go away? I've increased fiber but sometimes I have incredible pain with it if I go much over 35 grams. I avoid nuts, seeds and corn. I really miss nuts and fresh corn on the cob in September. What can I do besides fattening peanut butter for the nuts? Would it be OK to let myself ever have these things again?
  • Happy “New You” Year!
    Happy “New You” Year!

Congratulations on another week toward a happier, healthier new lifestyle. I’m excited to hear about your progress and answer as many questions as I can. Last week, I challenged you to be a lifestyle detective by analyzing your records. Small changes like increasing your physical activity by 15 minutes each day and making substitutions for high calorie snacks can result in loss of inches and pounds over time.

In fact, on Tuesday’s episode of “The Biggest Loser” trainer Jillian advised her teams to chew five-calorie Extra gum in place of other high-calorie temptations. One contestant even mentioned that its long-lasting flavor is a dessert in itself!

I encourage you to continue recording your food and activity to monitor the changes from week to week. Pay special attention to the portion sizes and look up the calories of all the food and beverages you are consuming this week. In one year, you could lose 10 pounds simply by cutting 100 calories per day.

For anyone that is a member of the “clean your plate club,” try to leave one bite (~50 calories) of food on your plate. This is an important step to place you in control of the food and you could lose 5 pounds in one year. This would be a nice reward while breaking the habit of cleaning your plate.
    Take one step at a time and enjoy the support of the members of the weight loss forum.

Anything worthwhile takes time and habit management is no exception. Keep trying and never give up! If you need additional incentive to get back on track with your 2008 “New You” resolutions, don’t forget to register for Extra’s “Reveal the New You” Sweepstakes and a chance to WIN $5,000! Visit www.gumisgood.com for more information.

Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

To your health,
    Molly Gee, MEd, RD

P.S. I truly enjoy answering your questions about food and nutrition, however for those of you with specific questions surrounding life on “The Biggest Loser” campus, check out the following link to read a recent interview with season three contestant, Marty Wolff, who discusses his experience as well as the small steps he’s taken to achieve weight management success. http://workoutmommy.com/index.php/20...-wrigleys-gum/
  • Meatless? Vegan?
    Quote: Molly Gee, thanks for being here to help! I LOVE The Biggest Loser!!!

Here's my question: I am wondering what you opinion of a carefully planned (to meet or exceed all basic nutritional, micro and macro nutrient and caloric needs) vegan diet is. Do you think it is possible to be healthy, long term, on a vegan diet?

I have been vegan for a long time and eat broccoli, kale, onions, garlic, citrus and flax pretty much every day. I am working on losing weight by counting calories and exercising.

Some nutritionists aren't supportive of a 100% vegan diet.

What says you?
    Quote: I would love to know your opinion on this as well.

Also I would like to know if you believe that food allergies can be contributing factors of being overweight.
    This may sound crazy but I had a college professer and a psychic tell me that I was allergic to wheat. When I asked my doctor he said that persons who are gluten sensitve/allergic are usually underweight. I have many of the symptoms as well. I am also hypothyroid fyi.

Can overweight people have gluten allergies that hinder weight loss?
    Soul Bliss and Jasmine, congratulations on your weight loss plan. Obviously your lifestyle changes and vegan diet are working for you. A carefully planned vegan diet can be healthful and beneficial by reducing the saturated fats and cholesterol found in animal products. This can translate to improved cardiovascular health and prevention of some chronic diseases.

However, poorly planned vegan diets can be deficient in nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids. These deficiencies have potentially serious consequences, including anemia, rickets in children, and osteomalacia and hyperthyroidism in adults. Fortified and enriched plant based foods and vitamin and mineral supplementation would be helpful for anyone following a vegan diet.

Forum members might try a meatless meal occasionally to add more vegetables and whole grains while reducing saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet. I often challenge my clients to a meatless meal per week and later a meatless day per week. Give it a try for your health’s sake.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Quote: Hi. Molly...

I have a couple of questions.

First...What is the best time to get on a scale and weight yourself?

Second...I just started on my WL journey. I find that even if I get 8 hours sleep I am still tired. Is there something special that I should be adding to my diet? Or should I add a vitamin to help?

Thank you for your time.
    Raven, first I suggest being consistent in the time you weigh and how often. Most people have a habit of daily weighing first thing in the morning. Keep in mind that our weight has daily fluctuations and you should be looking for weekly trends. Perhaps weighing once a week is enough. If so, always weigh on the same day of the week.

It’s hard for me to comment about your fatigue. Be sure that you are getting enough calories (minimum of 1200-1400 calories) and moderate physical activity (walking) 3-5 times per week. Don’t overdo burning calories while consuming too few calories. If you are still feeling tired after a week or two, you should check with your physician.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Utahgirl1982 asked last week "I was wondering if there are fat burners that actually work and what are your thoughts on the new pill out Alli? Any info would be great!"
    Utahgirl1982, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. There is no evidence that any fat burners exist. The best way to lose weight is to reduce your caloric intake by about 500 calories per day and focus on moderate physical activity to reduce fat stores.

Alli is the only FDA approved over the counter weight loss aid. The active ingredient is 60 mg. of Orlistat which prevents the enzymes in your intestines from digesting 25% of the fat you eat. These undigested fats are not absorbed and are eliminated from your body. Because you may lose some fat soluble vitamins like A,D,E,K and beta-carotene, it is advised that you take a multivitamin supplement daily.

There is no magic with Alli and to be successful, you must be ready to make a commitment for a low-calorie (1,200 – 1,600) diet and regular physical activity. Remember, achieving your weight management goals cannot happen overnight. Stick to the small steps that can help you reduce excessive caloric intake throughout the day. I recommend chewing a piece of sugar-free Extra gum to help avoid high-calorie mindless munching while at work or at home. I like to chew a piece of gum while cooking to help reduce nibbling before a meal. Plus it’s available in ten flavors—one for every taste!

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Tonia asked last week, "My question is on exercise...or, rather your heart rate during exercise. What should you aim for? I have read conflicting reports. I have not checked my resting heart rate in a while but I think it is in the 60-70 range. Also, should we trust the heart rate monitors on the machines at the gym?"

Tonia, your target heart rate lets you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. Staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate is defined as your target heart rate. Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.

If you can’t measure your pulse, try using a "conversational pace" to be sure you are in the target. If you can talk and walk at the same time, you aren't working too hard. If you can sing and maintain your level of effort, you're probably not working hard enough. If you get out of breath quickly, you're probably working too hard — especially if you have to stop and catch your breath.

Calculate your target heart rate when doing more vigorous exercise like jogging or brisk walking to monitor your progress.

Your resting heart rate is your heart rate at rest. The best time to find out your resting heart rate is in the morning, after a good night's sleep. The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest. Resting heart rate usually rises with age, and it's generally lower in physically fit people.
    Most gyms have their equipment calibrated regularly to maintain their accuracy.

It sounds like you are in good shape! Enjoy staying fit!

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Countingdown asked earlier, "While this issue is significantly better now that I have lost 50 lbs., I still have soreness in my knees when I exercise. Are there foods or supplements that I should be considering to help my joints?"

CountingDown, congratulations on your weight loss! I’m sure that you also are enjoying the compliments on the new you plus the added energy each day. Be sure that you are properly warming up and cooling down before exercising. However, listen to your body especially if your joints continue to “speak to you.” Your physician can advise you about changing your exercise routine and any possible treatment. There are no magic foods or supplements that can cure the pain or soreness.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • From GrammyRN, "It's been suggested to take a multi every day following WLS (for me LBS coming up within the next few weeks). What if you're also drinking liquid protein with vitamins already in it (like Boost, for example)? There have been some scare stories in the news about "overdoing it" with vitamins - would that be a problem?"

GrammyRN, I recommend a multivitamin that does not exceed 100% of the (DV) Daily Value to my clients on a weight loss eating plan just to be sure there are no missing nutrients. For women, I also suggest calcium plus Vitamin D. Even though liquid meal replacements are fortified with key vitamins and minerals, there should not be a problem.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • Quote: I am desparate for advice on tbis subject. Due to years of yoyo dieting, skipping meals for days then binging, I know I have screwed up my metobolism big time. What can I do to bring it back! Anytime I tried eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks I just gained weight even if the calorie content was low. I can eat about 900 calories a day and workout for 60-90 minutes only to barely loose 1/2 to one pound in a week. What sholismould I do?

Twentytogo, do not give up! Eating 900 calories/day and working out for 60-90 minutes is telling your body to conserve its energy. This is another example how your body adapts to an extreme energy deficient by slowing its metabolism.

Gradually increase your calories back to ~1200 calories and be sure to take a day off from your workout. Vary your routine with some cardio and strength training for 60 minutes. Be sure to warm up and cool down properly to avoid potential injuries.

Be patient. It’s difficult to stay the course when you expect the pounds to fall off. Stay the course and be consistent to allow your body to trust you again! Actually losing ½ to 1 pound per week is realistic and the kind of weight that will stay off.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
  • This one is from Dek 6, "First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to do this another week. My question is about artificial sweeteners. I use them almost every day. I put splenda in my coffee and on my cereal. I use sweet and low in my iced tea. I also drink ALOT of crystal light. There is artificial sweetener in alot of other stuff I eat, such as: yogurt and pudding. Is it ok for me to consume them every day?

Another question I had ont he same subject is the consumption of artificial sweeteners in children. I have a 12 year old and 6 year old daughters. They both love crystal light, yogurt, and pudding with the artificial sweeteners in them. Is it ok for them to eat it every day or should I limit how much they eat? I don't want to feed them something that could potentially harm them."

and one from Tonia, "My question is on artificial sweeteners. I know some time back there was conflicting information on using sweeteners but can you tell me what the current research says? I add sweet-n-low to my iced tea and that is pretty much it but my concern is really with my 9-year-old daughter. She loves iced tea and will sometimes add three or four packs if I am not watching."

Dek 6, Tonia and others using sugar replacers--Sugar replacers or low-calorie sweeteners provide an opportunity to enjoy some favorite foods without extra calories from sugar. People with diabetes or trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight can safely use sugar replacers as part of their overall eating plan. For example, substituting a diet soft drink in place of a regular soft drink can save 150 calories. Imagine all the calories that can be avoided by using low or no calorie sweeteners in beverages, chewing gum, puddings, frozen desserts and novelties, baked goods and more.

The FDA has approved five low-calorie sweeteners (acesulfame K, aspartame, neotame, saccharin, sucralose) for use in foods and beverages. The FDA has established an “acceptable daily intake” (ADI) for each sweetener and are levels that can be consumed safely every day over a lifetime. For details, go to http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/200...weeteners.html

For children, pregnant and/or breastfeeding women, I’d suggest talking to your physician for recommendations that are designed specifically for you or your family.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD