The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Answered: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

Great news! The Q/A was such a great opportunity for our members that Molly Gee has agreed to do it again! So please feel free to post more questions, and we'll see her again next week for replies. If all goes well, she will return several more times We'll have another drawing the very last week that she's here, with more Biggest Loser prizes to win

In case you missed it, here's the link to the last Q/A with Molly Gee http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130594

Here are the details

Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for several weeks! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Here's how it works.. For the next week you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question. Next week Ms. Gee will return to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad we get the chance to as more questions because I have another burning question, Ms. Gee.

A nutritionist spoke at my company last year and was talking about the benefits of shopping the outside walls of a grocery store. However, she did note that shopping for vegetables in the frozen section was a good idea because they are frozen at a fresher point than the "fresh" veggies we find in the produce aisle.

Based on this information, my question is, how would you rank the following vegetables:

"fresh" from the produce aisles
frozen
canned

I find that eating canned veggies are by far the easiest. However, am I getting any of the nutrients at all or just a load of sodium? Are the frozen veggies that are steamed in the microwave still good or do they lose their nutrients in the steaming process?

Thanks so much, I look forward to your reply.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

Just wondering what fruits are naturally high in sugar ,I know some one who is diabetic and his doctor told him not to eat grapes,are there other fruits high in sugar.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ms. Gee! Is it true that green tea can help speed your metabolism? I've been drinking Enviga green tea drink, because I love the way it tastes. It's a good replacement for soda, because it's carbonated water with green tea, so it still has the fizz, but only 5 calories. But I read on the can that drinking 3 of them can help you burn an extra 150 calories! I was wondering if you know anything about this. I only drink 1 each day but may drink a few more if there's any truth in it!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #5  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Hi Ms. Gee. First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to do this another week. My question is about artificial sweeteners. I use them almost every day. I put splenda in my coffee and on my cereal. I use sweet and low in my iced tea. I also drink ALOT of crystal light. There is artificial sweetener in alot of other stuff I eat, such as: yogurt and pudding. Is it ok for me to consume them every day?

Another question I had on the same subject is the consumption of artificial sweeteners in children. I have 12 year old and 6 year old daughters. They both love crystal light, yogurt, and pudding with the artificial sweeteners in them. Is it ok for them to eat it every day or should I limit how much they eat? I don't want to feed them something that could potentially harm them.

Thank you again so much for this.

Last edited by dek6; 01-24-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Ms. Gee,

Thank you for answering our questions. I have enjoyed reading all of your responses on the other thread. My question is: How does alcohol and caffeine affect weight loss? I enjoy having a glass of red wine a few times per week and a cup of coffee or tea in the mornings.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/156.5/142

Height: 5'2+"

Hi Ms. Gee,

When you hit a weight loss plateau, is it more effective to reduce calories, increase exercise, or do a little of both? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #8  

Thanks Suzanne! I was so excited to be welcomed by 3FC community and to get so many great questions. I’m going to come back every week to answer a couple more questions and yes, at the end of it all, Suzanne will organize another give-away. While I’ll just be answering a couple questions each week, I’m going to do my best to answer all types of different questions that apply to anyone trying to lose or manage weight.

I won’t be able to get to every person, but I hope that you are able to learn something from me and that you continue to welcome me in your community.

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Wonderful to have you here, Ms Gee!!!

And now from the world of weight loss surgery - most of us get really intense instructions from our docs and dieticians going into the surgery about what to do - and not do - for the first 12-18 months. And after that, we're pretty much on our own. Given the malabsorption that roux en y gives us [or duodenal switch for that matter], any thoughts about what an appropriate balance of carbs/protein/fats might look like?

most of us long-term post-ops are just winging it!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back Ms. Gee.

I eat eggs once in a while for my protein, but I've heard many different opinions about how many/how often. What is your advice?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #11  
banned

do the contestants take steroids or diet pills? they must do more than diet and exercise to lose a lb or more on a daily basis!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #12  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

What does it mean when you crave sugar? Is your body deficient in something or does it just mean you are addicted to sugar? I crave it quite regularly and particularly after a heavy meal.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Thanks for doing this!

I've been wondering about the nutritional value of veggies added to soups and stews. I understand that raw and lightly cooked vegetables have the most nutritional value, but I often throw tons of veggies into my soups, for volume and hopefully for some bonus vitamins and the like. Is there a nutritional value to veggies simmered for hours? Does the good stuff leach into the broth or disappear into the ether?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Ms. Gee,

I am hypothyroid. Should I be concerned about my soy intake?

For example, I like protein shakes, but most of them contain lecithin.
And cereals like Kashi Go Lean contain "soy protein concentrate" (whatever that is!).

Will 2-3 daily servings of either of these substances exacerbate my hypothyroidism?

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #15  
TBL - The Red Team

S/C/G: 247.4/204.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ms. Gee,

I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer back in 2005 and had two surgeries to remove my thyroid. I now take 200mcg of synthroid every day and I was wondering if this condition could have played a part in my gaining my weight back and/or if it will hinder my weight loss or make it more difficult?

Thank you.

Melissa